View Single Post
      01-05-2012, 03:37 PM   #96
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Mcoupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Hood View Post
When is an //M engine an //M engine in your book?
Why is the S62 questionable? Because it doesn't rev high enough? The stock E30 M3 engine only reached 7000rpm as well. Just like a N54/55....

I never stated the N54 is an //M engine in the first place, it's a better engine than many of the //M engines for sure, but not an //M engine, agreed. I stated that the 1M is a true 'M'. 100%.

But to each their own. I'd choose the 1M in a heartbeat vs the Z4M, because it's not only faster on a track/bends, but in a straight line as well. What's the fuzz? I don't care about //M engine or not. The engine does its work very very well. THAT's what counts. It's the whole package. And the thrills/experience of it.

Cheers
Robin
An M engine is an engine built by M from the ground up, not scrounged from others (or simply JUST an engine from then regular line). Although some of the older engines fit that bill of being "scrounged" the dynamics were modified enough that they couldn't really be considered just modified XXXengines. Not talking just boring and stroking but radical changes in head design and breathing. IMO the only thing that should be "donated" to an M engine is a block casting.

And no, a 1m wont track faster then a z4mcoupe, and yes I'm sure you have plenty of fastest lap times you could cite saying otherwise, but in sustained lapping it wont happen, especially stock for stock. I had one, I know.

Edit: Actually LOL at the z4M being 3 seconds faster around the ring on narrower 2 generation old continental tires. Not that it actually means anything. But I bet the 1m can't even get around the 8 minute course before hitting serious IAT decays.

Last edited by O-cha; 01-05-2012 at 03:51 PM..
Appreciate 0