View Single Post
      05-29-2014, 10:41 AM   #33
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by fecurtis View Post
Just changing times I'm afraid. I mean, 10 years ago if someone told you that Porsche would build a sedan and an SUV (soon to be two) what would you say?

I mean hell, Bentley is even building an SUV now. Money talks I'm afraid. If people who have the means want them, niche automakers will start building them.

Don't get me wrong, whenever I see a Panamera or a Cayenne I scream why, but they aren't going anywhere, for better or for worse.

The way I see it, the profits just gives them more R&D money to build even better sports cars.

EDIT: as with leasing, it's not for everyone. Some drive a lot of miles, others just like paying a car off ASAP and just enjoying it until the wheels fall off.
I have no issues with SUVs. Those have totally different uses and are truly for a different crowd. You are not abandoning your core car's architecture nor bastardizing the brand as something cheap and completely built for economical reasons, BMW is. Porsche is a niche company that honestly only made 1 or 2 cars, that is eventually hard to survive on. BMW always had a very solid and well rounded lineup... this is GM'ing itself out.

If BMW wanted to be special, they could have offered something like the 5 door 1 series hatch with an N55 in the US. Nothing like this exists over here currently and I know lines that would be out the door to get one. All hatches are FWD and have no RWD counterpart.