03-20-2014, 02:52 AM   #7
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRR View Post
Don't forget that watches are not only for telling time, we don't need watches anymore, we can read time anywhere around. They have a sentimental value and they are a status symbol for some too. And a cheap chinese Smartwatch has absolutely no sentimental value nor is it a status symbol. Unless the big watch companies don't offer theses models the "watch afficionados" won't buy them.
The random guy may buy it but no Rolex / Patek / Omega... customer will rather buy a Android watch.
I'm totally with you on that. I would rather wear a PP or any number of other nice watches. However, the features and functionality are so very compelling and there's no way I'm going to go round with a PP and an Android "wearable" on; it's going to be one or the other.

Nice as a PP is, time only vs. all the things that watch will do. PP doesn't cut enough mustard to be the one I wear. It'll be just fine as the one in my display case just as a painting is just fine on my wall. That's sort of where I see mechanical watch collecting going if this Android thing really takes off.

All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0