View Single Post
      01-15-2014, 07:36 AM   #16
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: o_0

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCHMOUPE View Post
Be very careful about buying a house with the GF. It is just a messy thing if things don't work out and she has contributed money to the mortgage.
As someone else said, buying a house is like nothing else out there. There is a lot of things to watch out for.
This. I'm surprised it took this long to mention. This is a world of hurt I've seen people go through. Foreclosure is usually the result. Assuming you did buy, you have nothing in the bank to cover the sometimes random "joys of home ownership". Aside from mortgage, you also have the ever present and increasing property tax and HMI. If you get a place with an associate, those fees can fluctuate as well. There is also PMI if you go in with more than 80%LTV. Sure you can write that off on your taxes now but you are still losing money IMO.

I won't beat a dead horse but you do not sound ready to buy a house (foreclosure or not). Even worse, you are in Illinois (where I am) where housing recovery is generally moving very slowly if at all. There are enough people that shouldn't have ever bought a home that are still f*****g up home values for others and myself.
Appreciate 0