View Single Post
      03-27-2024, 12:59 PM   #6
Honda
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chihuahua View Post
Naw, it's not that simple. They're awesome cars if you know what to look for when buying, are handy with a wrench, and know what Achilles heels to address and when to address them. Sure you need to have a budget to maintain it, but they're so old now that anything someone would encounter has been solved by the online DIY community and is well documented. Again, for me the big turnoff was the high pressure VANOS pump and the eyewatering cost of a replacement if you need it, just for the part. The other three or four common failure points on the S85 aren't really that scary once you do your homework. I'd rather own an S85 than an S65, S65s are known for spinning main bearings which doesn't seem to happen nearly as often on the S85 for some reason. The E60 chassis itself is damn good, I had one for years and was able to fix everything the car threw at me in my garage, electronics included.
I know what I am looking at as I have ALWAYS considered buying e60 M5 every now and then especially with prices they have become now at however there is a reason why these are sold at this price.

Unfortunately, it is not just 1 issue or 2 issues that can be addressed and then it is wonderful car to drive. There is long list of issues that needs to be addressed and they are all costly and many of them can re-occur again that's why I've decided not to pursue one any further.

If you end up buying one, make sure you have the budget for any problems that would eventually arise. These are not cheap to maintain and/or fix.
Appreciate 1
xander_g1003.00