12-16-2009, 06:33 PM   #10
Kylekuu
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08 328xi, 84 318i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec 1 View Post
Must adress two things:

1) How in the heck has your neighbor averaged 45,000+/yr miles on a single vehicle for over six years? That's almost like driving full-time for work.

2) The newer BMWs are difficult to work on yourself, as stated before. BMW has been removing self-service features and employing special tools that you as an owner can't get your hands on. The point is to get the vehicles into the dealership to have things fixed. Parts also are more expensive for BMWs. I do most of the customization work on my cars, and the parts for my '91 BMW have been as expensive as my '00 Acura and '06 Chrysler.

1) Some people drive alot man, and it's not really that much, i put like 8k on my mitsubishi in 3 months before, just traveling and goofing around in CA. Not everybody babies their cars as far as not driving it. Afterall it's not a weekend warrior car, or a track car. I remember reading a article about some 5 series with 300k+ and i think it was only a 02 and i read this at least year and half ago.

2) my 06 eclipse parts costs the same as my e92, parts for my honda, slightly cheaper. In the end, BMW part prices are comparable to other brands, just cause it's a luxury brand doesn't mean you'll pay ridiculous price. But that is only if you shop around, and if you don't like to shop around and stick to the easiest method that would result in the crazy prices. IDK, as far as fixing stuff. The way i see it, if i intend to keep a car, I will buy these special tools. + I will add that I've been a mechanic before but I will say that I wouldn't call myself a true mechanic, cars no matter how fancy they get still evoles around the core principals. Unless your trying to reprogram the ECU and things, electrical items are still electrical items, trouble shooting isn't crazy hard. It's all logical anyways, i mean if you don't like getting dirty or having to think logically in times i understand (im not saying you can't think logically). Tools aren't that expensive either, you don't need snap on tools etc. but if you have to have to "best" brands of everything then it's not that it's expensive parts, and you choose to buy expensive parts.
Appreciate 0