View Single Post
      09-24-2013, 10:09 AM   #20
arachnyd
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 06 BMW 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by osxcode View Post
I don't drive like an ass or park like one. Seems like everyone wants to call us asshats, I had a customer of mine today tell me that all bmw drivers are aggressive. I think thats a gross generalization.
I know a lot of jerks with BMWs growing up. Frankly, I hated BMW for most my life and the idea of buying one made me sick because I didn't want to be "one of them".

Now I am "one of them". I'm an asshat. I say "I'm driving a bmw so its ok to be an asshat". I consciously think it when I cut someone off, or take up two parking spots. I do things in my BMW I would never do in my corvette or pickup truck. I don't mind giving BMW owners a bad name because most BMW owners I know are asshats too. They are obnoxious, think they are better than everyone, and act like it.

When in rome, do as the romans do.

Every car has their stereotypes. When people find out my wife's husband has a corvette they think she married some real old guy, when really I'm just a year older than her. When I was looking at Maserati's, I can't tell you how many people told me I "don't have a stuck up my butt enough to drive one of those things". When we were looking for a car for distance traveling (I'll often travel hundreds of miles a day for work) we looked at a Dodge Dart, and my wife said, "I don't want people to think of us as rednecks". We had a tough time looking for cars because while we love the BMW, we hate the way people look at us, treat us, and draw conclusions about us for driving one.

So I guess in short, there are a lot of "asshat" BMW drivers. That doesn't mean you are. It doesn't mean most people on here are. In fact, I would disrespect BMW owners any time I could until I met some that raced with me who WEREN'T asshats. Then I became an owner, but once I became an owner, I became an asshat (but only in the BMW).

When it comes down to it, no matter what you drive, people are going to draw conclusions. You've got to drive what you love, and ignore everyone else- you can't control them!

Side note, I never heard of the word asshat before and I just used it about 50 times.
Appreciate 0