07-24-2013, 09:07 PM   #67
MaxL
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, Cayenne T, 991 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSERGEI-BY View Post
Let me remind you old recommendation for the european bmw dealers: 10kkms or once a year, synthetic only. So 15 kmiles change helps selling new cars and killing engines in same time.

I do change every 10kkms or once a year in my bmw and my jeep
That is not true - BMWs in Europe change oil at 25K km which is about 18K miles. It's been that way for at least 15 years, and I drove BMWs with over 250k KM on the original engine with that maintenance. 10K km is for third-world countries and extreme conditions.

It is an amazing topic - BMW spent a ton on engineering to extend service intervals to save their customers' time, money and to be more green (oil is not perfectly recycled), and got the opposite result, at least with a sub-segment of oil-change fanatics.

Those bashing BMW recommendations - have you sent oil for testing? Do you understand how oil degradation works? Do you know that it is possible to extend oil change interval by 2x by simply increasing the volume of oil an engine holds by 2x, because synthetic oil does not break down from time and only gets broken down by engine work, and it takes twice as much work (or mileage) to break down twice as much oil? So the fact that recommended interval for one car is X km or miles means nothing for other cars - it is possible to design an engine for any oil change interval. Your Jeep or Kia can still require 3K miles oil changes, even with the same oil as another car, but that means nothing for another car. So how the heck can you pull these frequency recommendations out of your behinds and think that they actually have any validity?

And I am not a BMW fanboy - mine is getting traded-in in few weeks, and I do not see any car in their line up that would interest me in near future.

Last edited by MaxL; 07-25-2013 at 12:39 AM..
Appreciate 0