09-02-2013, 11:36 AM   #57
Nkc
NOOB
Canada
Rep
Drives: Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devious21 View Post
Well I've had two of my closest friends go through periods when they were addicted. By addicted I mean they went from just smoking on the weekends with friends to smoking by themselves multiple times a day.

Their social circles changed, they had money problems, trouble at work etc. It became hard to hang out with them because every conversation and every activity revolves around it.

They eventually both overcame it. One friend now has a family and no longer smokes. The other still smokes just much MUCH less.

Those are just two of my friends. I know half a dozen people that I went to high school with that just became burn outs and still live like that. Some move on to bigger drugs, some just do nothing all day and spend their lives trying to get high.

We don't want to classify all addictions as being equal. Caffeine is a stimulant. Marijuana is a hallucinogenic that affects perception. Alcohol is a depressant that affects judgement. There's a reason you can drive on the effects of coffee but you shouldn't on the effects of weed or alcohol.

Someone else had mentioned that they didn't think smoking twice a day was addicted. Ask yourself if someone needed to get drunk twice a day, would we consider them to have a problem.
I'm really sorry to hear that two of your closest friends got addicted. I've been thru some "pothead" stages too where I would wake and bake and carry on till it was sleepy time for a month straight, ok maybe 3 months. My best excuse for that is quite simple, I really had nothing better to do at the time and mj just made everything a tad more interesting and entertaining. The good old quote of "but have you tried doing ..... on weed?" I've known a handful of potheads thru out the years but you also have to accept that some people are just naturally "burn outs" and never strive to achieve anything. Some people like to just chill and be free rather than push push push all the time. I understand your legitimate argument for mj being an addictive drug and I do feel some people are genuinely addicted to it but only a very very small % classify as a true addiction.

Here I go advocating again. Sorry guys.