08-15-2013, 04:57 PM   #10
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
Rack of lamb, boneless ribeye steaks, pork rib steaks, fois gras, a good burger, steak tartare, scallops with bacon and lemon, home made fries and garlic aioli, fresh peas, a good baguette, Soeur Angele cheese, almost anything cooked on a raclette, Mailles cornichons, a true french croissant, duck breast with a cherry port sauce, moules frites........

oh god where do I stop
Hopefully at the gym.

I like all that stuff too.

You mentioned foie gras (or did your spelling imply a non-anserine variation of it?). That reminds me of a fun party I not too long ago hosted, and since you are clearly a foodie, I thought I'd share.

This event happened two years back round Halloween. I'd recalled that several of my friends and I had, a couple months before, been bemoaning the fact that none of us really wanted to go to another costume party that Halloween season. An idea popped into my head and I told them I'd host something small for us and they wouldn't need costumes.

Taking inspiration from the TV series "Be the Creature," I sent out the invitations for "Be the Buffet" dinner party (8 people). When my friends arrived, they entered a very warm house lit only by candles, some of which were inside elaborately carved pumpkins of various sizes. Lots of sheer fabric in black, gold and sliver was draped all over the pace and moving slowing with the air currents. (I couldn't bring myself to actually having Halloween-types howls and cackling laughs for music, so I just had Enigma, Sarah Brightman's Diva Dance, Moodswings' Moodfood album, and other similar tunes on.) We all had some drinks and munched on appetizers while the chef was finishing, and I announced the party guidelines:
  • You can't use utensils
  • You can't use plates or bowls
  • You can't feed yourself
  • No cell phones
  • No light that wasn't from an open flame
The menu was:
  • Sevruga, St. Andre and Granny Smith slices on cherry perfumed wafers
  • Sliced duck breast tubes stuffed with a bread, pine nuts, lime zest and cherries
  • Foie gras with a lime zested cherry sauce
  • American rack of lamb with a Moroccan glaze and served with leeks and pumpkin purée
  • Sautéed pairs of French beans tied with Serrano ham "string" and topped with bits of sautéed morels
  • Peach zabaione with blueberries and Drambuie
  • Sparkling water, red wine, champagne, gin, tequila, GM Natural Cherry, Cherry liqueur, creme de cassis, and single malt
Given that plates weren't allowed, everyone had to take turns being the buffet for their partner or someone else's partner. As none of us had ever been to a dinner party like this, it took some trial and error to what worked best to eat directly off of a body and what was better fed to you or someone else, but then experimentation was intended. This was among the most successful parties I've hosted. A good time was had by all.

Menu note: To this day, the chef hasn't told me how he managed to slice the ham thin enough to twist it into little strings and tie it in bows around pairs of haricot vert. I also don't know how he got the tubes of duck breast stay rolled as tubes. He was a major factor in the success of the party. Though I invented the dishes, I could never have executed them as well as he.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0