OneRib
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 AY M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSW View Post
I have to disagree w/this.

Although the Niners have occasionally been able to run up the score on other teams, the "identity" of the Niners has NEVER been as a high scoring offensive team.

It's always been viewed as a strong DEFENSIVE team that can play "smash mouth" football on offense with a strong running game (which opens up the passing game) that can score enough points to win, because the defense keeps the games close.

The Niners are ranked 3rd on defense and 27th!!! (out of 32) on offense so far this year. So, it's still a strong defensive team. However, both the running and passing game were virtually non-existent this year due mainly IMO to a weak offensive line (depleted by injuries) and Kap's inability to pass effectively without a strong offensive line to protect him.

Fix the offensive line and the Niners will fix most of the problems it has had this year.

There's still a question (at least in my mind) about Kap's ability at QB but I don't think any QB would have performed very effectively w/the weaknesses in the Niners' offensive line this year. Hard to pass if you're always under pressure or end up on your butt; Kap's been sacked 49 times so far this year. Even Montana and Young had a hard time doing that. So, the Niners need to fix whatever's wrong w/the offensive line before they can truly assess whether Kap is also a part of the "problem" or not.
I agree the current team is not built this way. I meant historically. Montana, Clark, Rice, Young, Brent Jones, Craig, Owens, Garcia...

Most 49er fans when asked to name the great 49ers of the past will list offensive players (outside of Ronnie Lott) and they think of the West Coast offense, Bill Walsh, Throwing the football, and well coordinated precision offenses.

This current iterations more like the Giants of the late 80's early 90's. Nothing wrong with it, just feel the fan base isn't as tolerant of it.
Appreciate 0