BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications

European Auto Source (EAS)

10-28-2013, 05:52 PM   #1
e46m3to135i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 MR E92 M3

BMW Performance Alcantara steering wheel?

Where can I find the flat bottom version with a red center stripe at the top of the wheel for a DCT? I have seen a couple pictures of them floating around the web but none of them are from a website that sells them.

Thanks in advance!

-Nick

Evolve Stage 1 Tune / GTS DCT Flash / Servo Tune / OEM Exhaust Mod / BMC Drop In / H&R Sports Springs / BMS 15/12mm Spacers / CF Grilles / CF Gills / CF Hood Vents / Painted Reflectors / Extended Paddles / BMS ARC AE's / Cyba Scoops / 20% Tint
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2013, 09:14 PM   #2
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

The red stripe is for the F30 line. Not sure if it'll work for us.

Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2013, 09:20 PM   #3
e46m3to135i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
The red stripe is for the F30 line. Not sure if it'll work for us.

Damn thats what I was afraid of hearing. May have to get the yellow striped version instead.

-Nick

Evolve Stage 1 Tune / GTS DCT Flash / Servo Tune / OEM Exhaust Mod / BMC Drop In / H&R Sports Springs / BMS 15/12mm Spacers / CF Grilles / CF Gills / CF Hood Vents / Painted Reflectors / Extended Paddles / BMS ARC AE's / Cyba Scoops / 20% Tint
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2013, 10:20 PM   #4
LucWerkz
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e70 X5 4.8i (Temporarily)

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46m3to135i View Post
Where can I find the flat bottom version with a red center stripe at the top of the wheel for a DCT? I have seen a couple pictures of them floating around the web but none of them are from a website that sells them.

Thanks in advance!

-Nick
IND can do it. Nati Beastcat had his stripe dyed red.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2013, 03:31 PM   #5
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
Quote:
Damn thats what I was afraid of hearing. May have to get the yellow striped version instead.

-Nick
Yellow stripe performance wheel is for SSG (steptronic) paddles

If you want DCT paddles you have to get the blue stripe performance wheel
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2013, 05:09 PM   #6
e46m3to135i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QuikWS6 View Post
Yellow stripe performance wheel is for SSG (steptronic) paddles

If you want DCT paddles you have to get the blue stripe performance wheel
Correct me if im wrong here, DCT paddles fit the SSG wheels also correct?

Back when I had my 335i, I installed the DCT paddles on my factory SSG wheel and didnt have any fitment issues.

-Nick

Appreciate 0
      10-29-2013, 05:56 PM   #7
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Correct me if im wrong here, DCT paddles fit the SSG wheels also correct?

Back when I had my 335i, I installed the DCT paddles on my factory SSG wheel and didnt have any fitment issues.

-Nick
As you prolly know, the SSG paddles use an 'L' shaped cutout, while the DCT use a rectangular cutout on rear of wheel. The mounting points are also slightly different between the two...

While I have never heard of anyone putting SSG paddles on a DCT wheel, I have seen a couple people state they put DCT paddles on an SSG wheel with the 'L' shaped cutout.

According to them, it involved hacking up the vinyl around the cutout at rear of wheel to make a rudimentary rectangular opening (state it doesn't matter because you don't see it), and that the difference in mounting points moves the DCT paddles closer to the steering wheel rim.

IMO, that's just mickey mouse, & I wouldn't cut up a wheel just to change paddles - I would (and have) just get the appropriate wheel for the paddles I want.

I've had (4) wheels on my car so far:
  • Original Sport wheel - no paddles
  • MSport wheel with SSG paddles
  • M3 wheel with DCT paddles (because I decided I liked the action of DCT better)
  • And currently a MPerformance Alcantara wheeel with DCT paddles

I take good care of my car & each time I was able to sell the outgoing wheel for a good price to defray the cost of the new version
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2013, 06:16 PM   #8
e46m3to135i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QuikWS6 View Post
As you prolly know, the SSG paddles use an 'L' shaped cutout, while the DCT use a rectangular cutout on rear of wheel. The mounting points are also slightly different between the two...

While I have never heard of anyone putting SSG paddles on a DCT wheel, I have seen a couple people state they put DCT paddles on an SSG wheel with the 'L' shaped cutout.

According to them, it involved hacking up the vinyl around the cutout at rear of wheel to make a rudimentary rectangular opening (state it doesn't matter because you don't see it), and that the difference in mounting points moves the DCT paddles closer to the steering wheel rim.

IMO, that's just mickey mouse, & I wouldn't cut up a wheel just to change paddles - I would (and have) just get the appropriate wheel for the paddles I want.

I've had (4) wheels on my car so far:
  • Original Sport wheel - no paddles
  • MSport wheel with SSG paddles
  • M3 wheel with DCT paddles (because I decided I liked the action of DCT better)
  • And currently a MPerformance Alcantara wheeel with DCT paddles

I take good care of my car & each time I was able to sell the outgoing wheel for a good price to defray the cost of the new version
I didn't have to cut anything when I installed DCT paddles on the Mtech SSG wheel I had in my 335i.

They fit just fine without any modifications to the actual wheel itself.

Appreciate 0
      10-29-2013, 06:29 PM   #9
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep

Garage List
Well, I was just going on posts/threads where members have stated how they did it - I have no actual experince

I don't doubt you, but if they are so interchangeable, it lends one to question why BMW went to all the trouble of making paddle specific wheels when they could have saved $$ on tooling and such by just carrying (1) design wheel that fits all
Appreciate 0