F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > Mobility Kit vs Permanent Repair
GetBMWParts

12-29-2023, 08:30 PM   #1
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Mobility Kit vs Permanent Repair

So I was thinking about getting the mobility kit but wonder if it's really worth it as it uses some sealant to fix a small hole in the tire 4mm or less. Normally if you get a nail in the tire and there is a slow leak you can drive to the gas station and they can do a permanent repair for around $20-$30. Since the sealant is only meant to be temporary can you still have the tire permanently repaired or will the permanent seal they use at the gas station not seal properly with the rubber cement if you have the sealant in the tire? Also Tire Rack includes road hazard coverage but if you get the tire repaired then that's not covered only if you pay to replace with the same tire and they reimburse you.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2023, 07:33 AM   #2
Ragnar The Redneck
Private
Rep
Drives: 15 335i GT

I always go by the old saying that it is better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. Having a small handheld air pump, a tire patch kit, and sealant is always good to have if you do not have a spare. This takes up little space and will give you a good peace of mind.

The first car I had that didn't have a ready to use spare tire was my 1984 Nissan 300ZX Turbo. It came with a spare that was deflated, a 12vdc pump, and tire sealant. I just added an emergency patch kit and swapped out the cans of sealant every couple of years. Never had to use it over the 20 years I owned the car. In fact, I have never had to use any of the patch kits or sealant on any of my vehicles... Touch wood... Having said that, I will need to make an emergency repair on one of tires soon... Mind you, I have had to change a flat, but only on the vehicles that have had a spare tire. Subconsciously, I must drive more carefully when I know I don't have a spare.
Wants: E31 850i 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2024, 12:39 PM   #3
chuncomunco
Rep
Drives: 2013 328xi

I've use the mobility kit (Airman ResQ Pro+) when I got a nail in my tire a few months back. Luckily, I was able to limp it to my local tire shop with little to no pressure drop. They removed the tire sealant and wiped the punctured area clean and patched the tire. The tire has been leak free since.
Appreciate 1
bimmer4563010.00