F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Andream MMI Box - Wireless CarPlay & Android Auto
GetBMWParts

06-07-2020, 01:26 PM   #2311
jsn1
Enlisted Member
Mexico
Rep
Drives: BMW X4 F26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollyran View Post
Not sure if it's the unit (Carlink) or just AA but the user experience so far has been disappointing.
1. AA sometimes just crash and would not reconnect unless I restart the phone.
2. How can you answer a call while you are using different app - call display on the popup?
3. Wireless AA is not 100% responsive and scrolling through songs is slower than iDrive. Music sometimes freez for a sec in the middle of a song.
4. The answer is CarPlay? Is it really more fluid (on wireless connection)?
5. It seems like Goole don't care much about AA.
6. Auto start for AA? I always have to wait and than click to confirm.

I got CarPlay with the Carlinkit and it works absolutely fine.
I should say that at first wireless connection was spotty, made 2 basic changes that got it to work fine.

1. Changed the WiFi channel on the menu, was on 36 and moved to 6. From that moment it started working fine.
2. Make sure that the antenna is facing the driver and if. Possible, stick it to a metal part.

Both steps corrected my experience.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2020, 02:19 PM   #2312
nitsuj17
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsn1 View Post
I got CarPlay with the Carlinkit and it works absolutely fine.
I should say that at first wireless connection was spotty, made 2 basic changes that got it to work fine.

1. Changed the WiFi channel on the menu, was on 36 and moved to 6. From that moment it started working fine.
2. Make sure that the antenna is facing the driver and if. Possible, stick it to a metal part.

Both steps corrected my experience.
yeah carlinkit on recent software is excellent with Carplay. I can't remember the last time it didn't connect automatically via wireless.

It's even rate I see the idrive screen at all before it activates the mmi
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2020, 02:47 PM   #2313
Goders420d
Rep
Drives: Bmw 420d

Quote:
There is a setting on the interface menu, there is volume and a second option labeled as “alter audio”. I found this setting to be the notifications, voices and ringtone volume. Modified this one and volume is now fine.

Hmmmm thanks for the info, is this with andream or caelinkit? I dont seem to have the option on my andream?
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2020, 10:46 PM   #2314
muniz_ri
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 320I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goders420d View Post
Quote:
There is a setting on the interface menu, there is volume and a second option labeled as “alter audio”. I found this setting to be the notifications, voices and ringtone volume. Modified this one and volume is now fine.

Hmmmm thanks for the info, is this with andream or caelinkit? I dont seem to have the option on my andream?
That setting is on the latest Carlinkit sw version.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2020, 11:29 PM   #2315
JLBMW
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 428ix GC

Wish the iDrive controller and/or controller touch on top (ie mouse movement) would work with Android mirroring (w/Autolink).
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2020, 01:53 AM   #2316
ViperBoy2
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5M

Anyone have instructions on removing the X5 F15/F85 glove box? I have my Andream installed, but can't fit the box anywhere w/o removing the glove compartment. I remember a link when I researched months ago but forum and google searches turn up empty
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2020, 01:56 AM   #2317
Goders420d
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by muniz_ri View Post
That setting is on the latest Carlinkit sw version.
Ah ok, seems different to andream then. Ive read mixed reports of if the softwares are cross compatible or not.

I am able to flash the box with the latest carlinkit software and mcu or is it now blocked?
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2020, 02:38 AM   #2318
xDHC
Second Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: F20 116i

Quote:
Ah ok, seems different to andream then. Ive read mixed reports of if the softwares are cross compatible or not.

I am able to flash the box with the latest carlinkit software and mcu or is it now blocked?
To be honest it's hit and miss. It used to work but lately they blocked it.

In my opinion all the different vendors should each get their own thread in the forums here. This is the andream thread and should be related to andream only. As the first page has all the different sw and mcu for all different forks of the device and not all work and might brick your andream device, it's bad for potential new users. They might think the latest versions are on page 1, brick their device and come complain here. But thats just my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2020, 04:26 AM   #2319
cossie1
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by xDHC View Post

In my opinion all the different vendors should each get their own thread in the forums here. This is the andream thread and should be related to andream only. As the first page has all the different sw and mcu for all different forks of the device and not all work and might brick your andream device, it's bad for potential new users. They might think the latest versions are on page 1, brick their device and come complain here. But thats just my opinion.
I think it's labelled pretty clearly, which software is correct compatible and which isn't.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2020, 06:45 AM   #2320
nitsuj17
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xDHC View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by cossie1 View Post
I think it's labelled pretty clearly, which software is correct compatible and which isn't.
I think at this point it would be counter productive toake new threads. The software is labeled well with warnings and we can see development on the different mmis as well as help each other out, even if it is labeled as an andream thread

And who knows maybe something happens where we can cross flash the firmware again either by accident or by design
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2020, 07:26 AM   #2321
jojo7
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F320i

Does the box have hdmi connection? I want to be able to continue using my apple tv.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2020, 07:39 AM   #2322
corduroy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 X5 xDrive40e (F15)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperBoy2 View Post
Anyone have instructions on removing the X5 F15/F85 glove box? I have my Andream installed, but can't fit the box anywhere w/o removing the glove compartment. I remember a link when I researched months ago but forum and google searches turn up empty
Sorry, I don't have directions. I ended up leaving mine in the opposite side of the glovebox area (drivers side). It had more space than the glovebox space (without removing it).
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2020, 08:05 AM   #2323
vennids
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperBoy2 View Post

Removing the F15 glove box
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2020, 08:54 AM   #2324
cossie1
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo7 View Post
Does the box have hdmi connection? I want to be able to continue using my apple tv.
No it doesn't have an HDMI connection.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2020, 09:23 AM   #2325
nitsuj17
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo7 View Post
Quote:
No it doesn't have an HDMI connection.
this unit does not. some of the earlier wired boxes or generic mmi's for 3rd party camera installations did.

would have been nice if these boxes did too
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2020, 09:56 AM   #2326
Goders420d
Rep

Quote:
Maybe im Making it more complicated than it needs to be, but for me it isnt entirely clear.

Seems the carlinkit MCU allows a seperate volume control for notifications, maps etc. Which is not available on andream.

My Current Andream box is running
SW V2.1.0.3.gpe.b
MCU 20.5.9.10

Can i flash the latest carlinkit MCU 20.1.4, and if so would this give me the additional volume control?

This is my only major gripe with the MMI so would be great if it can be sorted.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2020, 10:31 AM   #2327
muniz_ri
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Maybe im Making it more complicated than it needs to be, but for me it isnt entirely clear.

Seems the carlinkit MCU allows a seperate volume control for notifications, maps etc. Which is not available on andream.

My Current Andream box is running
SW V2.1.0.3.gpe.b
MCU 20.5.9.10

Can i flash the latest carlinkit MCU 20.1.4, and if so would this give me the additional volume control?

This is my only major gripe with the MMI so would be great if it can be sorted.
It isn't the mcu which gives you the extra audio setting. It's the latest Carlinkit system version. Unfortunately it is not compatible with the Andream unit. It will flash but carplay will not work.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2020, 10:37 AM   #2328
Goders420d
Rep

Quote:
It isn't the mcu which gives you the extra audio setting. It's the latest Carlinkit system version. Unfortunately it is not compatible with the Andream unit. It will flash but carplay will not work.
Ok, thanks for the quick response

Will android Auto work? I dont use apple car play.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2020, 10:43 AM   #2329
muniz_ri
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Ok, thanks for the quick response

Will android Auto work? I dont use apple car play.
I don't know for certain but it likely will not.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2020, 10:54 AM   #2330
Goders420d
Rep

Quote:
I don't know for certain but it likely will not.
Ok thanks, if i try it is it likely to brick it, or could i just flash the original back?
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2020, 12:20 PM   #2331
cossie1
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Ok thanks, if i try it is it likely to brick it, or could i just flash the original back?
You are unlikely to brick it, I've not managed it so far.

Worst case it will say invalid update on the screen and do nothing.

If that happens you will have to force update it, but to do that might require you removing the power connector from the MMI.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2020, 01:07 PM   #2332
Matusov
Matusov
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G07

Is anyone aware if widescreen AA option with the nav bar on the side is available for 10.25" screen? I feel like there is a lot of wasted space on my screen with the Nav Bar being on the bottom...

Source:
https://designguidelines.withgoogle..../nav-bar.html#
Appreciate 0