F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > F30 HID Xenon Bulb Replacement DIY
GetBMWParts

03-30-2018, 12:49 AM   #45
N26Ghost
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 328i M Sport

For the money, Philips Xtreme Vision Gen2s are an excellent replacement. They are superior to the stock bulbs in every way. $170 plus shipping and 20 minutes of time for years of increased visibility.
Appreciate 1
x-m4n148.00
      06-24-2018, 01:54 PM   #46
chuckles01
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i Sport, 6M

I just want to say, thanks to the OP for this post with such detailed instructions and pics on how to change the headlights bulbs! I just swapped out my oem bulbs for d1s osram cool blue intense this weekend. I didn't jack up the car or remove the tires and did most of it by touch since I couldn't see in there, and without these instructions / pics I wouldn't have been able to do that! Thanks!

Separately, regarding the new bulbs, mine are 66140 CBI, up to 6000K. My first reaction to them is that while they initially start up more blue than OEM, after they warm up they look pretty much like my old bulbs in terms of color (albeit brighter). It still appears white with a touch of yellow, but maybe it's because they haven't broken in yet. Or maybe it's just due to our projector lens. Anyone with CBIs have the same experience? Did they become noticeably whiter after a certain time?
Appreciate 1
x-m4n148.00
      12-01-2018, 12:57 PM   #47
Gespar
Registered
Rep
Drives: F31 320d 2013

Thanks for great instructions.
Wanted to try out new 2018 "Osram Xenarc Night Breaker Laser" bulbs if they can improve light performance over to my old stock bulbs.
With 180€ investment and 40min work im quite happy.
Left is low beam and right is highbeam. Same camera settings used. So the color difference is also quite nice.
Appreciate 5
      03-08-2019, 08:31 PM   #48
Sickining
Rep
Drives: G30 540i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGONXF30 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by zcspec View Post
I'll save you the time AND money, don't even bother.

One of the reasons why I created this DIY was that I upgraded my stock bulbs to PHILIPS X-treme Vision 4800K bulbs. In my opinion, they were a waste of my money. If there is any difference in light output, it's very difficult to tell. Sure, they are whiter than OEM, but the goal to achieve noticeably more light output. was a disappointment.
I hear that Osram Nightbreakers is where is at! Someone should try those.

I need new bulbs in the GLI, after 150K miles and 10+years, they are getting old and tired and obviously much dimmer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGONXF30 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by zcspec View Post
I'll save you the time AND money, don't even bother.

One of the reasons why I created this DIY was that I upgraded my stock bulbs to PHILIPS X-treme Vision 4800K bulbs. In my opinion, they were a waste of my money. If there is any difference in light output, it's very difficult to tell. Sure, they are whiter than OEM, but the goal to achieve noticeably more light output. was a disappointment.
I hear that Osram Nightbreakers is where is at! Someone should try those.

I need new bulbs in the GLI, after 150K miles and 10+years, they are getting old and tired and obviously much dimmer.
I just installed the osram night breaker laser next gen. I can't even tell a difference. what a waste of money
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2019, 08:51 AM   #49
aps
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

thank you for the excellent pics OP. like another post above, I was able to do this without taking the wheels off thanks to your pics.

for others, if you turn the wheel full lock to the side that you are changing the bulb, you will have enough space to see and access the bulb. it's a little hard to see the top of the clip, but with the pics in this thread, it's very straightforward to feel the clip release and reinstall.
Appreciate 1
x-m4n148.00
      04-08-2019, 03:02 PM   #50
zcspec
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 911/Boxster/Model Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickining View Post
I just installed the osram night breaker laser next gen. I can't even tell a difference. what a waste of money
Sickining, give it some time. Assuming you bought the "real" ones, you'll notice a difference after about 20-30hrs. They need to burn/break in.

This is and older photos, but you can see the difference. This is after about 10hrs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aps View Post
thank you for the excellent pics OP. like another post above, I was able to do this without taking the wheels off thanks to your pics.

for others, if you turn the wheel full lock to the side that you are changing the bulb, you will have enough space to see and access the bulb. it's a little hard to see the top of the clip, but with the pics in this thread, it's very straightforward to feel the clip release and reinstall.
Glad I could contribute!
Appreciate 1
x-m4n148.00
      10-28-2021, 08:39 AM   #51
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Good thread.

One of my original bulbs just burned out after 142,000 miles and always having the low beams on.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2023, 04:31 AM   #52
Wellingtonz
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw 118i f20 n13/ 320i F30 N20

does anyone know if the F20 and F30 uses the same xenon bulbs?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2024, 06:41 AM   #53
x-m4n
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Gran Turismo (F34)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattpete13 View Post
amazon has em
A few people advise to be careful with fakes.

I have used Powerbulbs UK through the years but this time I got the OSRAM XENARC CBI NextGen from Amazon (key that the item was both dispatched and sold by Amazon).

To triple check authenticity, used the Osram website to check serial numbers:

https://www.osram.com/appsj/trust/fr...o?locale=en_US

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaleb View Post
FYI instead of removing the wheels, I turned them full lock (left or right depending on which side I was doing) and used a floor jack to raise the car about 2-3" on whatever side I was working on.
This was a great tip, I managed to do it without lifting the car - a bit awkward but this awesome guide + youtube made it a lot easier...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daggers View Post
FYI this round cap simply twists about 30 degrees and releases easily. No breaking of anything required
I tried my best but still managed to "hurt" those little teeth... still hanging there somehow, just hope they manage to hold the cap going forward...

My left bulb lasted 10 years which is great but you can notice the difference now - not a cheap part but I should have upgraded ages ago.

Now the issue is the fog lamps which often help with turning - they are also 10 years old now but they are so yellow/different... off I go to find instructions on how to get to those...

Last edited by x-m4n; 01-30-2024 at 09:54 AM..
Appreciate 0