F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Andream MMI Box - Wireless CarPlay & Android Auto
proTUNING Freaks

05-10-2020, 10:05 AM   #1937
muniz_ri
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 320I

Quote:
Originally Posted by xDHC View Post
Ok cheers thank you.

Ok my biggest problem at the moment is auto nightmode not working based on light sensor in car and bad quality android auto, which was not fixed in with MCU v20.4.2.14 and v2.1.0.3.gpe.b i think, so i guess theres no reason to update....
Same issues here with a Carlinkit unit, but the lack of night mode switching is likely caused by our Samsung phones. Nonetheless, I will see if my seller can obtain an updated mcu.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2020, 10:58 AM   #1938
x-m4n
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Gran Turismo (F34)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cossie1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by x-m4n View Post
Updated now first the MCU and then the firmware. With the car running it was rather quick and without any issues. I didn't see any pin code request 🤷*♂️
You didn't see the pin code request as you did the update backwards.

The software is meant to be updated first then the MCU.

If you go to software update now though you will be asked for the pin code.
Damn, did t realise there was an order... redone the MCU now...

Aftermarket reverse cam in full screen view no longer shows the sensors.

tilting idrive (outside of any music app) moves the cursor right/left... it does not skip songs as the old bimmertech update... if I wanted to go back, do I just install the bimmertech old firmware? Or is the MCU that has this info? Or both?
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2020, 11:09 AM   #1939
contracts34
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 4 Series F33

Quote:

tilting idrive (outside of any music app) moves the cursor right/left... it does not skip songs as the old bimmertech update... if I wanted to go back, do I just install the bimmertech old firmware? Or is the MCU that has this info? Or both?
I have the same issue with reverse camera since updating plus another strange thing. The functions of my Menu & Back button have reversed! So now pressing and holding Menu reboots the box. Pressing Back for 3 seconds switches me in/out of iDrive
Appreciate 1
x-m4n148.00
      05-10-2020, 11:10 AM   #1940
cossie1
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82 M4

Quote:

The only reason you flash the software first, is because I think the MCU controls the unit itself (which buttons control which functions as that is what talks with the canbus of the car). So if you update the MCU first and there are "big" changes, then you might get into a situation where you can't navigate the software to update it, as the buttons won't function in the way you expect them too.

It's unlikely to happen, but you never know.

Anyway as to your other question, then I would suggest trying the software first.
Appreciate 1
x-m4n148.00
      05-10-2020, 11:11 AM   #1941
cossie1
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by contracts34 View Post
I have the same issue with reverse camera since updating plus another strange thing. The functions of my Menu & Back button have reversed! So now pressing and holding Menu reboots the box. Pressing Back for 3 seconds switches me in/out of iDrive
There is an option in the settings menu to swap that back.
Appreciate 2
x-m4n148.00
      05-10-2020, 11:45 AM   #1942
symphonic
Rep
Drives: 3 series e93

I have the Andream box, but on CIC. Is the hardware the same (just with different connectors for CIC) and the latest firmware will work - or do I need different software? Currently on the below versions....
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-10-2020, 11:52 AM   #1943
contracts34
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 4 Series F33

Quote:

Quote:
There is an option in the settings menu to swap that back.
Thanks Cossie. Found that setting and all back to how I would expect them to work. Good job someone knows what they're doing
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2020, 01:13 PM   #1944
cossie1
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by symphonic View Post
I have the Andream box, but on CIC. Is the hardware the same (just with different connectors for CIC) and the latest firmware will work - or do I need different software? Currently on the below versions....
Different software versions.

Yours is gp.c and BMW_CIC, ours is gpe.b and BMW_NBT
Appreciate 1
x-m4n148.00
      05-10-2020, 01:34 PM   #1945
dws199
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 520d M Sport 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by muniz_ri View Post
Here is the software that I recently received from my Carlinkit seller: https://androidfilehost.com/?fid=4349826312261785265 (!Caution! This update is only compatible with Carlinkit units)

But it may very well be a CarPlay issue and not the mmi as you mentioned.
Thanks for the new update, I installed on mine and can see a few new options mentioned on here already but I have a new issue now of seeing a Z4 convertible in the pdc with the reverse camera plus it hasn't fixed the issues with it not properly detecting reverse gear (and showing the correct camera) on my manual car. Also still got the screen resolution issues in AA
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2020, 01:49 PM   #1946
muniz_ri
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dws199 View Post
Thanks for the new update, I installed on mine and can see a few new options mentioned on here already but I have a new issue now of seeing a Z4 convertible in the pdc with the reverse camera plus it hasn't fixed the issues with it not properly detecting reverse gear (and showing the correct camera) on my manual car. Also still got the screen resolution issues in AA
I think that some of these problems, besides the AA resolution, may be due to not having an updated mcu for the Carlinkit units. It's the mcu that acts as the bridge between the car and the software and manages the cameras, headlights signal, reverse gear, etc.

I exchanged emails with my seller today and he agreed to reach out to the factory for an updated mcu. I will share it if I receive it but you may also want to contact your seller for an updated mcu in case my contact does not come through.

You should outline the issues that you are having to your seller as they only seem to be responsive when there are specific issues that need addressing. I also included a picture to my seller pulled from here of someone's screen showing a more current mcu version than v20.1.4.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2020, 02:18 PM   #1947
dws199
Private
Rep

Quote:
I think that some of these problems, besides the AA resolution, may be due to not having an updated mcu for the Carlinkit units. It's the mcu that acts as the bridge between the car and the software and manages the cameras, headlights signal, reverse gear, etc.

I exchanged emails with my seller today and he agreed to reach out to the factory for an updated mcu. I will share it if I receive it but you may also want to contact your seller for an updated mcu in case my contact does not come through.

You should outline the issues that you are having to your seller as they only seem to be responsive when there are specific issues that need addressing. I also included a picture to my seller pulled from here of someone's screen showing a more current mcu version than v20.1.4.
OK thanks for the advice, I've been in contact with my seller a few times and even sent them videos of the camera issue but they stopped responding to me a couple of weeks back. I also contacted carlinkit themselves but they refuse to help and say I must speak to the seller
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2020, 02:30 PM   #1948
muniz_ri
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

OK thanks for the advice, I've been in contact with my seller a few times and even sent them videos of the camera issue but they stopped responding to me a couple of weeks back. I also contacted carlinkit themselves but they refuse to help and say I must speak to the seller
In the meantime, you may want to try the latest Andream mcu from the first page of the thread. I found it very laggy with AA but it may work better with CarPlay, idk.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2020, 02:42 PM   #1949
Molinetti
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 428i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerPostUser View Post
I did, and it’s slow as hell. There’s like a 1 second lag when navigating CarPlay. I think I’m gonna try to downgrade the MCU first to see if that helps.
What do you mean? I have updated it (first MCU) and did not notice any big difference, only the x3 option to configure the micro echo and it seems by my wife’s feedback it works well. Probably you need to reset the unit, I don’t see also the difference to the performance installing MCU and Software in different order. But others Andream users could give us feedback about their experience.

Regards!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2020, 03:54 PM   #1950
dws199
Private
Rep

Quote:
In the meantime, you may want to try the latest Andream mcu from the first page of the thread. I found it very laggy with AA but it may work better with CarPlay, idk.
I'm only using AA too, so will probably wait for the new Carlinkit MCU.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2020, 05:39 PM   #1951
karlshea
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 X3

I would NOT recommend upgrading Andream boxes to MCU 20.4.2.14, there are severe issues with lag using both the iDrive wheel and the steering wheel scroller. I had to downgrade back to 20.1.4.11 and the issue went away. My sw version remains on v2.1.0.3.gpe.b.

This is also not a WiFi issue between the MMI and the phone, the lag happens inside the Andream interface when the phone isn't even connected. Some clicks are ignored, and some happen with a large delay.

Firefly1337 maybe put a note next to that version? It looks like I'm not the first one to experience this.

I'm curious if this is the reason Andream is cagey about sending SW updates, it may be that the MCU updates only work right with a newer hardware revision? I'd at least hope so, if this is actually the out-of-box experience with that version I'd send it back.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2020, 05:44 PM   #1952
cossie1
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlshea View Post
I would NOT recommend upgrading Andream boxes to MCU 20.4.2.14, there are severe issues with lag using both the iDrive wheel and the steering wheel scroller. I had to downgrade back to 20.1.4.11 and the issue went away. My sw version remains on v2.1.0.3.gpe.b.

This is also not a WiFi issue between the MMI and the phone, the lag happens inside the Andream interface when the phone isn't even connected. Some clicks are ignored, and some happen with a large delay.

Firefly1337 maybe put a note next to that version? It looks like I'm not the first one to experience this.

I'm curious if this is the reason Andream is cagey about sending SW updates, it may be that the MCU updates only work right with a newer hardware revision? I'd at least hope so, if this is actually the out-of-box experience with that version I'd send it back.
Very odd, as I have no issue's with lag using Carplay and mine is an early Andream unit.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2020, 05:46 PM   #1953
karlshea
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Very odd, as I have no issue's with lag using Carplay and mine is an early Andream unit.
Mine shipped with 20.1.4.11 so it's not very early, but not from a recent batch. And of course that version isn't available so I flashed the Bimmertech 10.1.4.11 (which displays as 20.1.4.11 in the interface).
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2020, 05:52 PM   #1954
karlshea
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
How did you flash? I did the SW update first, which reset the box and had a progress bar. Then I did the MCU update, which blacked out the display, then after awhile it went back into iDrive. When I pressed Menu to get back to the MMI it was still in the software update menu. Then I held Back to reset the box and it came up with the new MCU version.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2020, 05:52 PM   #1955
cossie1
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Mine shipped with 20.1.4.11 so it's not very early, but not from a recent batch. And of course that version isn't available so I flashed the Bimmertech 10.1.4.11 (which displays as 20.1.4.11 in the interface).
Yeh mine was an early December unit which shipped with something older than that (can't remember the exact version).

The MCU you used is the same as the carlinkit 20.1.4.11 MCU, it's just bimmertech's software doesn't display the date correctly.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2020, 05:54 PM   #1956
cossie1
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
How did you flash? I did the SW update first, which reset the box and had a progress bar. Then I did the MCU update, which blacked out the display, then after awhile it went back into iDrive. When I pressed Menu to get back to the MMI it was still in the software update menu. Then I held Back to reset the box and it came up with the new MCU version.
Exactly the same way as you have.

After the mcu update it still shows the old version, so you have to force reboot it, then it shows that it has updated.

I always do software first, when both need updating.

But I have downgraded MCU and re-upgraded MCU versions on there own before too, when testing various ones from carlinkit, andream and bimmertech.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2020, 05:56 PM   #1957
karlshea
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Exactly the same way as you have.

After the mcu update it still shows the old version, so you have to force reboot it, then it shows that it has updated.

I always do software first, when both need updating.

But I have downgraded MCU and re-upgraded MCU versions on there own before too, when testing various ones from carlinkit, andream and bimmertech.
No idea then. Everything I need is working, so I'll just leave the MCU where it is. The SW update seems to be fine.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2020, 09:59 PM   #1958
muniz_ri
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I'm only using AA too, so will probably wait for the new Carlinkit MCU.
No worries. If my seller comes through, I am going to give him a shout out on this forum and see if he commits to supporting our community with future Carlinkit updates.

If so, my guess is that he will become the preferred seller. We'll see how it goes...
Appreciate 0