F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > B58 Log Review Thread
proTUNING Freaks

01-07-2024, 02:13 PM   #3961
WrxToBeamerGuy
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by kozak_g30 View Post
Any instructions how to log EOI through mhd ?
Its a custom function that mhd doesnt provide inherantly... You can pm me your email and ill send you a xml file to upload to mhd to be able to log it.

Last edited by WrxToBeamerGuy; 01-07-2024 at 07:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2024, 03:54 AM   #3962
TunaFlapjack
Rep
Drives: M140i

Hi,

i have run a few logs i was hoping someone could cast their eye over to make sure there is no nasties or obvious issues.

Only downside is i ran in Sports mode, so DSC on how much will this matter?

Cheers

TF

https://datazap.me/u/tunaflapjack/b5...og=0&data=3-22

https://datazap.me/u/tunaflapjack/b5...-stage2-pull-3
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2024, 07:16 AM   #3963
M2C
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW M140i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by brakthru View Post
The ecu assist the way xDrive put power down too. You were over boosting slightly by 1 psi right before throttle closure. The onset of boost in those temps is the only trouble area I see. It recovers and stabilizes after that rpm range. Rear wheel cars see this sometimes during boost ramp up. So much is happening so quickly which can cause the MSV and rail to fluctuate. Maybe the car needs some time to adapt to the conditions. Try doing more logs to see if it'll clear up some. Any reason you're doing a 5th gear pull WOT at 2400 rpms? It is a high load gear. I'm no expert by any means but I'm not sure you have a problem. Maybe someone else can chime in. BTW, the wgdc looks great! What turbo are you running?
Thanks for your info. I'm logging in 5th gear, because MHD suggests to log in 4th, 5th or 6th gear and on dynos they often also log in 5th gear. For sure, I can also make some other logs in 3rd or 4th gear, but the reason for those boost waves might be due to what WrxToBeamerGuy suggests.

Edit: It's a TurboSystems hybrid turbo (TS1).

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrxToBeamerGuy View Post
The boost waves are due to overactive PID control. Specifically the I-gain. Your tuner has it turned up pretty high so the instant it undershoots it corrects and then overshoots and repeats until it dampens out which you can see happen. Attached is an image of I gain theory. In this case the optimal I gain in the image is not truly the optimal I gain we want for our cars because then we would spool much later.
Also thanks a lot for your reply. So you're meaning the "wgdc i-factor %"- parameter, which at first goes up (so boost gets reduces) and then strongly goes down (so boost gets high and overshoots)?

So what does the tuner has to adjust in order to prevent from these adjustments (PID)?

I googled a little bit and it seems like 'The pilot control of my boost pressure control must be calibrated.'. Can this be done in a specific table in the tune?

Don't get me wrong, but for me it seems like my tuner is not aware of this issue, because he couldn't help me in the past months. So maybe, with a bit of support (showing him the 'wgdc i-factor %' as well as maybe mentioning the to be adjusted table), he then understands what to do in order to fix the issue.

Edit: General question, is there any kind of range of percentage, where we can say it is ok that the PID adjusts the boost? For example, -5 to +5%. Independently of my issue, where positive and negative adjustments are too close, which leads to boost waves.

Last edited by M2C; 01-08-2024 at 07:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2024, 02:13 PM   #3964
WrxToBeamerGuy
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2C View Post
Thanks for your info. I'm logging in 5th gear, because MHD suggests to log in 4th, 5th or 6th gear and on dynos they often also log in 5th gear. For sure, I can also make some other logs in 3rd or 4th gear, but the reason for those boost waves might be due to what WrxToBeamerGuy suggests.

Edit: It's a TurboSystems hybrid turbo (TS1).

Also thanks a lot for your reply. So you're meaning the "wgdc i-factor %"- parameter, which at first goes up (so boost gets reduces) and then strongly goes down (so boost gets high and overshoots)?

So what does the tuner has to adjust in order to prevent from these adjustments (PID)?

I googled a little bit and it seems like 'The pilot control of my boost pressure control must be calibrated.'. Can this be done in a specific table in the tune?

Don't get me wrong, but for me it seems like my tuner is not aware of this issue, because he couldn't help me in the past months. So maybe, with a bit of support (showing him the 'wgdc i-factor %' as well as maybe mentioning the to be adjusted table), he then understands what to do in order to fix the issue.

Edit: General question, is there any kind of range of percentage, where we can say it is ok that the PID adjusts the boost? For example, -5 to +5%. Independently of my issue, where positive and negative adjustments are too close, which leads to boost waves.
To answer your general question, yes that's what the PID control tables are for. PID tables adjust the sensitivity of the response based on boost deviation.

These are the tables he should be adjusting.

edit: As you can see the P portion of the PID control adjusts less the closer boost is to optimal and more the further away it is.
Attached Images

Last edited by WrxToBeamerGuy; 01-08-2024 at 02:15 PM.. Reason: added more information
Appreciate 2
M2C40.00
vcx84.50
      01-09-2024, 05:27 AM   #3965
M2C
Private First Class
Germany
Rep

Quote:
To answer your general question, yes that's what the PID control tables are for. PID tables adjust the sensitivity of the response based on boost deviation.

These are the tables he should be adjusting.

edit: As you can see the P portion of the PID control adjusts less the closer boost is to optimal and more the further away it is.
Thanks a lot.

One last general question:
What are the disadvantages and why, when a tuner like my one prefers a boost approach instead of a load approach? And what the advantages, why he has chosen this way?
Appreciate 2
vcx84.50
sfelym9.00
      01-09-2024, 07:23 AM   #3966
rouv90
Registered
Rep
Drives: 440i + MPPSK

Hey there,

could you tell me your advice about the timing corrections I have?

(Sorry - the log is in german)

I don't have the MHD Logger and used Bimmerlink.

I compared the real-timing against the expected-timing

https://datazap.me/u/rouv901/log-170...0&data=9-12-15

MHD Stage 1 93 Map / Shell V-Power (100 Octan)

thank you so much!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-09-2024, 09:10 PM   #3967
WrxToBeamerGuy
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Thanks a lot.

What are the disadvantages and why, when a tuner like my one prefers a boost approach instead of a load approach? And what the advantages, why he has chosen this way?
This is an area where I can't give you an answer because I simply don't know why they use it and think its better. What I can tell you is that using MHDs custom tuning tables allows you to simply request a certain PSI at a certain RPM. This makes tuning significantly quicker and takes a lot of the annoying torque tables out of the equation. They also can build their own WGDC as well as PID control.

BM3 does not let you do this so with BM3 you must tune for load using load request tables and torque request tables.

Load is the amount of air in a cylinder. The amount of PSI required to reach that load request changes depending on the size of the turbo, the elevation etc.

The reason I'm explaining this is because if you have a load based map and go to a different elevation or turbo it will change how much psi your turbo produces.

On the other hand if you have a PSI based map and change elevation or turbo then that will actually change the amount of air in the cylinder. So your load in Germany may be 230 but in the Swiss Alps its 215 - 220. That's because less dense air requires the turbo to do more work.

If you had a load based map then your WGDC would just increase in the alps and your load would still reach 230 but your PSI would be higher.

Hope that makes sense.
Appreciate 1
M2C40.00
      01-09-2024, 09:14 PM   #3968
WrxToBeamerGuy
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rouv90 View Post
Hey there,

could you tell me your advice about the timing corrections I have?

(Sorry - the log is in german)

I don't have the MHD Logger and used Bimmerlink.

I compared the real-timing against the expected-timing

https://datazap.me/u/rouv901/log-170...0&data=9-12-15

MHD Stage 1 93 Map / Shell V-Power (100 Octan)

thank you so much!
The corrections are not that large also the corrections reduce as you increase through the RPM range which is a good sign. I would not worry about it. Maybe check every once in a while to see if you are ALWAYS getting corrections because then you maybe want to switch to the 91 octane map or replace your spark plugs.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2024, 01:56 AM   #3969
rouv90
Registered
Rep
Drives: 440i + MPPSK

Quote:
The corrections are not that large also the corrections reduce as you increase through the RPM range which is a good sign. I would not worry about it. Maybe check every once in a while to see if you are ALWAYS getting corrections because then you maybe want to switch to the 91 octane map or replace your spark plugs.

Thank you sir!
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2024, 04:08 AM   #3970
M2C
Private First Class
Germany
Rep

Quote:
This is an area where I can't give you an answer because I simply don't know why they use it and think its better. What I can tell you is that using MHDs custom tuning tables allows you to simply request a certain PSI at a certain RPM. This makes tuning significantly quicker and takes a lot of the annoying torque tables out of the equation. They also can build their own WGDC as well as PID control.

BM3 does not let you do this so with BM3 you must tune for load using load request tables and torque request tables.

Load is the amount of air in a cylinder. The amount of PSI required to reach that load request changes depending on the size of the turbo, the elevation etc.

The reason I'm explaining this is because if you have a load based map and go to a different elevation or turbo it will change how much psi your turbo produces.

On the other hand if you have a PSI based map and change elevation or turbo then that will actually change the amount of air in the cylinder. So your load in Germany may be 230 but in the Swiss Alps its 215 - 220. That's because less dense air requires the turbo to do more work.

If you had a load based map then your WGDC would just increase in the alps and your load would still reach 230 but your PSI would be higher.

Hope that makes sense.
Absolutely. Thanks a lot!
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2024, 02:18 AM   #3971
sfelym
Rep
Drives: BMW F20 M140 xdrive

Quote:
Thanks a lot.

Is there a simple way I can see from logs is the tune load or boost based ?
      01-15-2024, 09:54 PM   #3972
WrxToBeamerGuy
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfelym View Post
Is there a simple way I can see from logs is the tune load or boost based ?
I believe if you're on MHD and your tuner targets a load such as 270 but your car only hits 230 - 250 load then it is boost based. If your load req = your load actual then it is load based.
Appreciate 2
M2C40.00
sfelym9.00
      01-16-2024, 04:54 AM   #3973
M2C
Private First Class
Germany
Rep

You can also recognize it via the boost target ram figures. When the tune is boost based the figures are fixed, so the line either looks linear rising or completly straight. When the tune is load based the figures a variable and the line fluctuates a little bit (so it's not that static).
Appreciate 2
      01-18-2024, 05:11 PM   #3974
Matic94
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M440i G26

If someone can, could you please have a look at this log?

https://bootmod3.net/log?id=65a99959a4065e5d1d5916ca
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2024, 04:19 AM   #3975
M2C
Private First Class
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matic94 View Post
If someone can, could you please have a look at this log?

https://bootmod3.net/log?id=65a99959a4065e5d1d5916ca
Setup? Map?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2024, 08:08 AM   #3976
Matic94
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Setup? Map?
FBO Catless DP E49 on Stage 2 Multi Map 2 using flex fuel sensor. Gen 2 B58 so Map 2 on the customrom multi map is for 91, map 1 is ACN91, map 3 is 93, and map 4 is stock power.
Appreciate 1
M2C40.00
      01-19-2024, 10:27 AM   #3977
M2C
Private First Class
Germany
Rep

Looking good. No corrections at all. Although the stock turbo is at its limit (WGDC 90%). But that's normal for that kind of power level. Fuel pressure also looking good.
540 HP / 700 NM @ 98 RON
Tuned by OdinTuned
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2024, 11:46 AM   #3978
Matic94
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Looking good. No corrections at all. Although the stock turbo is at its limit (WGDC 90%). But that's normal for that kind of power level. Fuel pressure also looking good.
Thanks for the look, I guess my next upgrade will be a DAW Turbo.
Appreciate 1
M2C40.00
      01-22-2024, 04:16 AM   #3979
JT04
Rep
Drives: Bmw F20 LCI 116D 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray M140ix View Post
Yesterday I replaced the Vanos actuator and Vanos central valve on the intake and exhaust side.
In addition, I replaced the valve cover and all injectors.

Would have been too nice, but it didn't solve the problem. VANOS system could not be adjusted during test on the inlet side.
It runs much smoother at idle and when driving it also feels more power and less timing delta for knock adap.

Chain length is very good, no wear on the cylinder head or camshaft to be seen. The engine is easy to spin. Steering times were also perfect.
I also checked all the cables.

Unfortunately, I didn't know how to test the Vanos adjustment unit for wear. I will now also replace these on the inlet and outlet side. I hope it solves my problem.

Otherwise I have no idea anymore

Run1
https://datazap.me/u/flom4/run1-e30-0?log=0&data=3-23

Run2
https://datazap.me/u/flom4/run2-e30-0?log=0&data=3-23

Run3
https://datazap.me/u/flom4/run3-e30-0?log=0&data=3-23

greetings
Flo
Sorry for this Noob Question but is "timing delta for knock adapt" parameter available in BM3? i cant seem to find it.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2024, 04:23 AM   #3980
alyabiev
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 Competition Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT04 View Post
Sorry for this Noob Question but is "timing delta for knock adapt" parameter available in BM3? i cant seem to find it.
That is “Additional angle change from adaptation knock control” on the “Other” tab.
      01-22-2024, 07:26 PM   #3981
JT04
Rep
Drives: Bmw F20 LCI 116D 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by alyabiev View Post
That is “Additional angle change from adaptation knock control” on the “Other” tab.
Thank you so much for your Help!!
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2024, 07:53 AM   #3982
TunaFlapjack
Rep
Drives: M140i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunaFlapjack View Post
Hi,

i have run a few logs i was hoping someone could cast their eye over to make sure there is no nasties or obvious issues.

Only downside is i ran in Sports mode, so DSC on how much will this matter?

Cheers

TF

https://datazap.me/u/tunaflapjack/b5...-stage2-pull-3

Stage 2+ MHD
TU Pump
Wagner DP
Full Remus non resonated exhaust
Esso Synergy Supreme+ 99
Stock Turbo

Would like to see people's thoughts, mainly as these are the first logs after the TU pump
Was fitted. (Appologies in advance abrout running the logs in Sports with DSC on scary cold here in UK)

Cheers

TF
Appreciate 0