F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > My bank next door got robbed, getaway in a E36 Convertible!
Extreme Powerhouse

09-02-2013, 01:11 AM   #1
matty231
Second Lieutenant
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 335i M

My bank next door got robbed, getaway in a E36 Convertible!

So at work casually, normal monday morning, just after the tick of midday, this lady runs into our office which is adjacent to the local bank.. 'Call the police! the banks being robbed'

So me and my office landlord walk outside to peer around the corner, the robbers were inside the bank at this time so my landlord gets on the phone to the cops, all of a sudden these two guys sprint out of the bank and run down the alleway, me and another 6 guys start chase and we loose site of these guys..

All of sudden we here the scream of a motor, thinking fuck here we go some lunatics going to be heading our way at speed but luckily not, a Purple BMW 318i E36 convertible pops out of a car park and blazes off down the alleway, by this time the cops were on there way... A guy tried to get into the car, elbowing the window before it sped off but had no luck breaking in, I was too scared personally to get close as they could've been armed.

Anyway! Karma is a BITCH... shortly after we reported to the cops the identity of the vehicle, the police were on there tail... Apparently the BMW was on the highway, (going around 200 kph at points, as bmw so easily do

Then OOPS the guy tries to swerve around some trucks I believe and crashes into the guard rail, rendering this poor E36 nothing more than a smashed pile of steel.

And 'sadly' for the robbers, the 'soft-top' flipped over a few times and you could say 'took a good 1/2 foot off their height' ! Not the best BMW to probably use in a robbery haha.

But yes, my interesting experience for the day involving a BMW, I was thinking of jumping in my 335i and giving chase but sadly she was a good 100m away in a parking lot making it silly to start chasing someone.
Attached Images

2008 BMW 335i M-Sport
Black Saph w/ Dakato Black | M-Sport | Sunroof | iDrive | 6SP Steptronic | Comfort Access | Lights Package | JDM Spec
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2013, 01:12 AM   #2
Lifted07Duramax
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW red 335i coupe

Italian job gone bad
      09-02-2013, 01:19 AM   #3
BigFoig
Banned
Rep
Drives: e92 335is

Dunno whos the bigger idiot guys robbing the bank or all the people who gave chase or tried to stop them in someway
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2013, 01:28 AM   #4
matty231
Second Lieutenant
New Zealand
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFoig View Post
Dunno whos the bigger idiot guys robbing the bank or all the people who gave chase or tried to stop them in someway
Are you serious? Whats wrong with trying to stop them getting away? I'd rather try stop them that sit back... can't have these mongrels getting away and re-offending.

2008 BMW 335i M-Sport
Black Saph w/ Dakato Black | M-Sport | Sunroof | iDrive | 6SP Steptronic | Comfort Access | Lights Package | JDM Spec
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2013, 01:32 AM   #5
Amini77
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White '13 550i

Garage List
2013 BMW 550i  [0.00]
People are still robbing banks? Cliche...
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2013, 01:33 AM   #6
matty231
Second Lieutenant
New Zealand
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amini77 View Post
Where i live in New Zealand it's pretty common, a few every year in my town But we don't have the weapons you american's have haha so they aren't major.

2008 BMW 335i M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2013, 01:36 AM   #7
BigFoig
Banned
Rep

I am serious. Think about all the people you would effect if say you got shot or killed over a couple of thousands of dollars which is insured btw. If you got seriously injuried then what? Best thing to do in this scenario is just get the description of the people and let the cops handle it. You dont know if they are armed or not. Also these people are more going to be more prone to triggering their flight or fight responses. In which case fight usually means discharge of the weapon or flight usually leading to vehicle collisions like how they ended up crashing.

Its not worth risking your life over some pieces of paper. Especially if its the bank being robbed. Cause you know banks are required to have insurance over this short of stuff. Clerks are trained to listen to the robbers demands and give em what they want.

Oh well. I know you might not realise it now cause it happens so reciently but give it ancouple days or weeks and youll realize it was pretty dumb to give chase.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2013, 01:37 AM   #8
mcpcolas
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 montego blue 335i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by matty231
Quote:
Are you serious? Whats wrong with trying to stop them getting away? I'd rather try stop them that sit back... can't have these mongrels getting away and re-offending.
The getaway car is a purple BMW? I wonder y they were so easy to spot. And OP it is foolish of you giving chase
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2013, 01:47 AM   #9
matty231
Second Lieutenant
New Zealand
Rep

Quote:
I am serious. Think about all the people you would effect if say you got shot or killed over a couple of thousands of dollars which is insured btw. If you got seriously injuried then what? Best thing to do in this scenario is just get the description of the people and let the cops handle it. You dont know if they are armed or not. Also these people are more going to be more prone to triggering their flight or fight responses. In which case fight usually means discharge of the weapon or flight usually leading to vehicle collisions like how they ended up crashing.

Its not worth risking your life over some pieces of paper. Especially if its the bank being robbed. Cause you know banks are required to have insurance over this short of stuff. Clerks are trained to listen to the robbers demands and give em what they want.

Oh well. I know you might not realise it now cause it happens so reciently but give it ancouple days or weeks and youll realize it was pretty dumb to give chase.
I didn't actually give chase... and I probably wouldn't have lol, but yea I see what you're saying anywho. I'd probably get a big fine speeding after someone as much as the theives themselves. They ended up being armed with hammers so I guess trying to tackle them before they tried to get away could've been worth it even if it meant a good beating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcpcolas View Post
The getaway car is a purple BMW? I wonder y they were so easy to spot. And OP it is foolish of you giving chase
Yes thats what I said straight after, a stupid car to use in a getaway, a rare in Purple BMW but more so it was a Convertible. I thought it was an M3 initially but the badge was a just an //M badge lol...

2008 BMW 335i M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2013, 01:59 AM   #10
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFoig

Personally I'm sick of the do nothing/its someone else's problem society
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2013, 02:13 AM   #11
matty231
Second Lieutenant
New Zealand
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by taibanl View Post
I think in some cases like say an old ladies getting mugged, if you don't help (i.e. you stand there) then you are sad person.

Like yea the mugger might give you one in the face but at least you tried, hey, if the mugger had a gun to her head, no I wouldn't risk my own life... but if looks unarmed or not psychotic then why not.

In my situation today, i'm not a big enough guy to take anyone down but i'd like to think I can get up close and help the police somehow identify the people... and not just sit in my office and close the door pretending it's not my problem WHICH it isn't but I like to think I can help others in finding the worthless mutts on this planet who would rather steal.

2008 BMW 335i M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2013, 02:43 AM   #12
BigFoig
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by taibanl View Post
Do nothings would be those that just say eh w.e glad it wasnt me. Im talking about the people who decide to do something but cross the line and get themselves killed.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2013, 06:45 AM   #13
kdbryce
I have to return some video tapes
United_States
Rep
Drives: e70 X5M

That's what you get for driving a 318i!
      09-02-2013, 10:01 AM   #14
iknowitsfast
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amini77 View Post
I'm a bank manager and nowadays most robberies are simple not passers. They just slide a note to a teller with their demands. The hostile take overs are very rare.
      09-02-2013, 11:54 AM   #15
thomas88162
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbryce View Post
That's what you get for driving a 318i!
Seriously! I don't think a 318i would be the best get away car in a bank robbery, or for anything that requires getting away quickly.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2013, 07:59 PM   #16
ny325
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Jet Black E90

When you do bad to others, it will always come back to get you.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2013, 08:22 PM   #17
FrozenM3nace
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 E92, E32 750il

Lol they should've used the chargers from Fast 5
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2013, 09:21 PM   #18
NGEE
Fuck it dude, let's go bowling.
Rep
Drives: 1M

Let's take a common-sense approach to the problem of bank robberies, shall we?
  1. Bunnings should be required to conduct background checks on all hammer purchases
  2. There should be a 5-day "cool down period" for all hammer purchases,
  3. All hammer buyers should be required to register in a national database.

Further, the New Zealand police should conduct a "no questions asked" buy-back program to purchase privately owned hammers to reduce the number of hammers owned by civilians, and provide a process whereby civilians can sell their privately owned hammers to the government without risk of prosecution.

Hammers should be limited in terms of length of the claw and diameter of the head, so as to limit the carnage in a full-on assault. Titanium heads should be banned altogether, as titanium heads cannot conceivably be used for hunting and therefore obviously serve only one purpose.

Law-abiding citizens should be permitted to carry concealed hammers. Check out this DIY for tips on how to carry a concealed hammer under the steering column of your E90. Thus equipped, an e90Post member might have thwarted this crime.

People, let's all remember this: If we believe that "hammers don't kill people, people kill people", then does that mean that "toasters don't toast toast, toast toast toast"?

Last edited by NGEE; 09-02-2013 at 09:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2013, 12:51 AM   #19
1astigM3
it ain't too goddamned beaucoup!!!
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
i see where you're going...
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2013, 12:55 AM   #20
gorskiqne
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw

Also these people are more going to be more prone to triggering their flight or fight responses.
      09-03-2013, 10:10 AM   #21
IancoleTX
Dillo boxers
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5C

lol at people chasing the robbers. You think the bank is going to help you out when you need it? Nothing personal but it's just not your business to get involved in, stupid to risk your own personal safety for nothing. Otherwise, cool story
      09-03-2013, 02:48 PM   #22
F32
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Agreed.
Appreciate 0