F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Cosmetic Care & Detailing (PPF/Wash/Wax/Detailing/Restoration/Repairs) > Ok to skip polish or paint correction and just wash and wax?
Studio RSR

04-20-2024, 03:23 PM   #23
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed4Em View Post
Appreciate all the responses! Will keep thing simple then.

Per Nettle's recommendation, attaching a photo of the car.
Gorgeous, is that the one which popped up recently with low miles for low $20k? I was looking into that car for a weekend joy ride but then it sold pretty quickly. The one I was looking at had full leather (rare), no nav (you don't want it, looks horribly dated), and the carbon leather interior. I had two of them back in the day and they are still my favorite BMWs ever (I miss them). Enjoy it, it's an amazingly fun machine!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Zed4Em26.00
      04-20-2024, 08:08 PM   #24
Zed4Em
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph III View Post
Hello Zed,
You've been given a lot of advice, some conflicting or differing anyhow, but I'll offer my opinion.

1. Yes, purchase a clay mitt or sponge (fine grade) and use it on your vehicle. As long as you choose a quality brand and use plenty of lubrication, while cleaning it and the surface constantly; you'll have no issues. Just do small sections and don't worry about the bag trick. You'll know it's coming clean as you go through the process. I've conversed with Mike Phillips on many occasions, btw, being a retired professional detailer myself.

2. If you don't want to use a polish then purchase and use a cleaner-wax, such as made by Meguiars or Sonax. I'm sure many others make a good product also but Meguiars and Sonax are my favorites for paint correction. A cleaner wax has a slight amount of abrasives which will restore the luster of your vehicle that a wax alone cannot do. So, it's a combination polish/wax. I used to make my own mix when I did it professionally. Use it once a year for this purpose only as with the clay mitt. Use your standard wax or sealant as often as you desire.

I was always a big fan of carnauba waxes (still am) but I'd highly recommend using Menzerna Power Lock or Wolfgang Paint Sealant. Those are absolutely phenomenal products that do not streak and they'll last a lot longer. They equal or exceed the shine and hydrophobic properties of anything I've tried including Si02 products. Trust me on this one.

My routine for many years was to wash regularly which included using a drying aid with carnauba wax in it. I'd then apply one of the Sealants above, about every two or three months. That really is still my routine although I've now incorporated Wolfgangs Si02 Silica. I'll apply that once a year after making my yearly paint correction. I'll then resort to my wash/wax/sealant weekly/monthly routine . Don't fall for all of the hype of ceramics. I'm not diminishing their quality and effectiveness, but a good routine is most important and such will insure your vehicle always looks it's best. Ceramics only allow people to go longer at neglecting their paint.

A little background. I've buffed and made paint corrections on well over 10k vehicles as a professional. I've also professionally painted more than a dozen vehicles for family and friends going back to the 80's.

Lastly, in regards to headlights. It depends on how bad they are. If it's minor than I'd recommend using 2000-2500 grit and step up from there, etc. Then finish with your cleaner wax and a little elbow grease, otherwise a rotary. If it's major, you'll need to use 400-600 grit to get rid of the imperfections and then apply a clear coat or PPF.

God Bless,
Ralph

P.S. Beautiful car
Sincere thanks for this thoughtful response, Ralph. The clarity and specificity of your post gave me the confidence of venturing outside of wash and wax. And yes, a routine is exactly what I am looking for - and the proposal of infrequent/annual polish with frequent/periodic application of carnauba wax plus sealant seems very sensible.

Also really appreciate the recommendation of tried and true products. I will give each and every one of them a try.

With much gratitude,
Zed

Last edited by Zed4Em; 04-20-2024 at 09:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2024, 08:18 PM   #25
Zed4Em
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
Gorgeous, is that the one which popped up recently with low miles for low $20k? I was looking into that car for a weekend joy ride but then it sold pretty quickly. The one I was looking at had full leather (rare), no nav (you don't want it, looks horribly dated), and the carbon leather interior. I had two of them back in the day and they are still my favorite BMWs ever (I miss them). Enjoy it, it's an amazingly fun machine!
Thank you! This car found me, actually. A good friend's father was looking for a next caretaker of this Z4M - I was the first he asked, and I immediately said yes after a well-regarded indy gave the stamp of approval via PPI. The same shop is now doing valve adjustments on the car, which is right on schedule.

It does not have nav; it does have the extended leather package; and it has the wood trim. I feel incredibly fortunate.
Appreciate 1
NickyC17509.50
      04-20-2024, 11:11 PM   #26
Ralph III
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 650i Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed4Em View Post
Sincere thanks for this thoughtful response, Ralph. The clarity and specificity of your post gave me the confidence of venturing outside of wash and wax. And yes, a routine is exactly what I am looking for - and the proposal of infrequent/annual polish with frequent/periodic application of carnauba wax plus sealant seems very sensible.

Also really appreciate the recommendation of tried and true products. I will give each and every one of them a try.

With much gratitude,
Zed
Hey Zed. You are most welcome and let me give a little more clarity and specifics.

I'd wash my vehicle and then use a drying aid with the drying process. My favorite drying aid was made by Eagle One which contained carnauaba wax in it. It's hard to find that today, so I'm in the process of trying out a few products that should offer even greater protection. Obsessed Garage Drying Aid, Extreme Solutions Topper, and Auto Fanatic 007 gloss enhancer are three that I'll be testing out. Ease of application, which would include non-streaking products, and results are my two greatest criteria.

Then: every few months I'd apply one of the sealants as mentioned. Both of those sealants are extremely easy to apply/remove and they offer fantastic results.

Lastly: once a year I'd perform some paint correction in keeping the vehicle looking its absolute best. Mine is typically a multi step process such as compound-polish-glaze followed by waxing or sealing. Otherwise, you can use an all-in-one product such as a cleaner wax. BTW, Mothers makes an excellent cleaner wax also.

Good luck,
Ralph

Last edited by Ralph III; 04-20-2024 at 11:22 PM..
Appreciate 1
Zed4Em26.00
      04-25-2024, 01:19 PM   #27
Zed4Em
United_States
Rep

Results after my first wash and wax session. Looks great from some distance!

But of course, once you get up close, there are definitely imperfections. Appreciate all the suggestions, especially Ralph's super detailed guidance. Will venture into polishing in the next instance.

Zed
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
NickyC17509.50
s_ribs37.50
      04-25-2024, 06:36 PM   #28
MADBMWX5MC
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X5MC

OP, very nice one you got there..enjoy!
Appreciate 1
Zed4Em26.00
      04-26-2024, 12:24 PM   #29
Zed4Em
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADBMWX5MC View Post
OP, very nice one you got there..enjoy!
Thanks very much! Appreciate it and will do.
Appreciate 0