BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

04-17-2014, 07:52 PM   #1
utah_ee
Private
Rep
Drives: '08 M3 Sedan 6M

Oil change

I am interested to hear the community's thoughts on this...

Last month the oil change service notification showed up on my '08 e90 M3. Curious, I checked when the last oil service was, Mar 12, 2012. That seems very coincidental that it is roughly 2 years to the day that it has registered needing service...? The mileage was 27,349 at the time of the last service and is now 31,687.

Sad I haven't driven it more than that!!!

Is the service required due to some timeout value (2 years) or is the oil really broken down and needing fresh fluids?

Thanks in advance!!
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2014, 08:05 PM   #2
tinman831
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

Usually it's every year or every service interval (5k, 10k...). It's up to your own discretion.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2014, 09:30 AM   #3
BrewRifle
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 MCB E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [7.56]
2013 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
2009 BMW 135i  [8.00]
I change my oil at LEAST once a year or every 5,000 - 7,500 miles.
      04-18-2014, 10:45 AM   #4
dreamspeed
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT

Even if the service light doesn't come on you can request the dealer change your oil once a year
      04-18-2014, 10:49 AM   #5
BartM3
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: E93 M3 DCT Individual

It's a standard interval. XXX Miles or two years.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2014, 10:59 AM   #6
sgrinavi
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 911GTS & 2014 X1

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BartM3 View Post
It's a standard interval. XXX Miles or two years.
It's xxx miles AND 1 year at my dealer.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2014, 12:16 PM   #7
M3-S65
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Don't wait for that stupid thing to come on...change it at least every year. Honestly, this is probably why some people have bearing issues..the S65 is a high revving high compression engine to change the oil every two years is insane to me...
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2014, 01:50 PM   #8
utah_ee
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3-S65
Don't wait for that stupid thing to come on...change it at least every year. Honestly, this is probably why some people have bearing issues..the S65 is a high revving high compression engine to change the oil every two years is insane to me...
Thanks for clarifying that this was a timeout elapsed. However, can you help me understand the logic behind changing oil at least once a year without regard to mileage?

Totally understand the engine is high revving performance built. My understanding of the reasoning for changing the oil is that it breaks down due to engine wear and temperature and thus can not lubricate as well. Am I missing something in regards to why changing the oil early, less than the 7,500-15,000 miles?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2014, 03:53 PM   #9
tinman831
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by utah_ee View Post
Thanks for clarifying that this was a timeout elapsed. However, can you help me understand the logic behind changing oil at least once a year without regard to mileage?

Totally understand the engine is high revving performance built. My understanding of the reasoning for changing the oil is that it breaks down due to engine wear and temperature and thus can not lubricate as well. Am I missing something in regards to why changing the oil early, less than the 7,500-15,000 miles?

Thanks!
The oil breaks down chemically over time as well and loses a small bit of its lubrication properties.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2014, 05:47 PM   #10
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman831 View Post
The oil breaks down chemically over time as well and loses a small bit of its lubrication properties.

It's very minimal (almost immeasurable), especially with the huge oil sump.

I wouldn't bother with a yearly change if you're only doing a few thousand miles. That's just draining perfectly good oil. The two year interval for a low mileage car is perfectly fine.

If you don't believe me, pay for an analysis and request the TBN & TAN be measured. I bet both will come back just fine.
      04-18-2014, 06:55 PM   #11
DBH
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 E92

BMW recommends M3 oil changes at least once a year . While the car is under warranty, BMW will do the changes under the free maintenance program, so you know they are serious .
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2014, 07:17 PM   #12
utah_ee
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBH
BMW recommends M3 oil changes at least once a year . While the car is under warranty, BMW will do the changes under the free maintenance program, so you know they are serious .
Not trying to start a debate here!!

Just because BMW recommends it under their free maintenance program or not doesn't mean it applies in every situation.

In this case it seems to be a general rule of thumb, change the oil once a year or at least before 15,000 mi (appears some if you do it even at 7,500 mi as well).

What about us that drive our M's on the weekends for enjoyment and aren't tracking them?

The only argument posted so far for changing the oil at least once a year is because the oil breaks down on its own over time. This seems suspiciously overstated? If the expected life of this particular oil is up to 15,000 mi, it doesn't make much sense that it would deteriorate on it's own with little or no use in 12 months??

What am I missing here?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2014, 07:27 PM   #13
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Quote:

Just because BMW recommends it under their free maintenance program or not doesn't mean it applies in every situation.

In this case it seems to be a general rule of thumb, change the oil once a year or at least before 15,000 mi (appears some if you do it even at 7,500 mi as well).

What about us that drive our M's on the weekends for enjoyment and aren't tracking them?

The only argument posted so far for changing the oil at least once a year is because the oil breaks down on its own over time. This seems suspiciously overstated? If the expected life of this particular oil is up to 15,000 mi, it doesn't make much sense that it would deteriorate on it's own with little or no use in 12 months??

What am I missing here?
The motor oil absorbs water from sitting and fuel from driving. If you don't drive it often, the fuel that gets into the oil doesn't get burned off normally. Water condenses inside the engine and will wear the oil down. Again this normally burns off if you drive the car often. If not, the oil absorbs the water.

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...Motor_Oil.aspx
      04-18-2014, 07:40 PM   #14
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgrinavi
It's xxx miles AND 1 year at my dealer.
You only get both if the time-based change comes first because BMW's policy is not to reset the CBS for time-based oil changes.

And OP, yes BMW recommends changing once per year and will cover it under Ultimate Service -- and yet the iDrive interval is programmed for 2 years. No idea why.

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2014, 09:41 PM   #15
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBH View Post

No they don't. I'm looking at the Service Maintenance Substitute Checklist right now.

Gasoline engines: 15,000 mi

There is no time interval listed. It is a CBS (condition-based service) interval, meaning the engine computer is using variables like ambient temperature, driving style, current oil quality, etc. to determine the change interval.

If you start doing lots of short trips, the interval will fall more quickly. If you are doing a lot of highway driving, it will extend the interval.
      04-18-2014, 09:43 PM   #16
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
The motor oil absorbs water from sitting and fuel from driving. If you don't drive it often, the fuel that gets into the oil doesn't get burned off normally. Water condenses inside the engine and will wear the oil down. Again this normally burns off if you drive the car often. If not, the oil absorbs the water.

All it takes is 15-20 minutes of highway driving on occasion to burn the stuff off. I wouldn't even worry unless 99% of your driving is 2 miles to the grocery store and back. The vast majority of people don't experience these problems. Even my cars, which can sit for several weeks without being driven, have never returned a UOA showing any water. (they've always shown 0.0)
      04-18-2014, 09:45 PM   #17
heart_doctor
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewRifle
I change my oil at LEAST once a year or every 5,000 - 7,500 miles.
Ditto.
      04-19-2014, 12:05 PM   #18
TheIceStormOf06
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW E93 Sold

Quote:

What am I missing here?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post

Think about a bag of chips. Even though the expiration date states 2 years, once you open them, they get stale after awhile due to the oxygen and moisture in the air. Same principle here. Except its moisture, carbons, burnt oil and gas as well. Bmw/castrol oils are rated for 15k but that's the extreme. I believe bmw will be if it hasn't already changing the intervals for the M F80 series (somewhat to do with the turbocharging).

But why would you want the contaminants and the like just sitting for 2 years? Also, the CBS is based on modeling and simulations of various factors and not an exact science. It's for this reason that the service include a oil change interval of a year regardless of the mileage.

Last edited by TheIceStormOf06; 04-19-2014 at 12:07 PM.. Reason: New poster error
Appreciate 0