BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

04-16-2014, 07:07 PM   #23
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowSaloonM3 View Post
I am probably the slowest m3 on track at a given time but my heel/toe shifts are like BUTTER
yeah dct will do that.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 07:08 PM   #24
PrimeBMW
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E46 M3+S62, E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
i can heal toe on open straight portions of pavement when it doesnt matter how much i slow down. basically what i do is a token foot on the brake without slowing and then shift, pointless. thanks for your help but ive spent 6 years working around my style and have no intention of changing it. i have tried at the track and am only successful in being dangerous.
You should try the ~14lb. tilton clutch and lightweight flywheel. It is easy to rev match. As you know my e92 M3 is a DCT and the first time I tried heel toe was on the e46 m3 race car. You can probably remember how fast it shift when you rode with Eddie........it is quick. The same set up will be with the new S62 so you will be able to see it in action also.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 07:13 PM   #25
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimeBMW View Post
You should try the ~14lb. tilton clutch and lightweight flywheel. It is easy to rev match. As you know my e92 M3 is a DCT and the first time I tried heel toe was on the e46 m3 race car. You can probably remember how fast it shift when you rode with Eddie........it is quick. The same set up will be with the new S62 so you will be able to see it in action also.
yeah but you have skills!

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 07:28 PM   #26
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
yeah dct will do that.
I DRIVE 6MT!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 07:44 PM   #27
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I DRIVE 6MT!!!
sure you do monkey boy!

Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 08:02 PM   #28
bigjae1976
Major General
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.25]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
The difficult aspect is getting the blip down. The hardest and a very important part is maintaining good braking control while blipping the throttle. A trailbraking heel-toe will yield the best result.

The later you downshift into the corner, the better.

I consistently position my foot on the brakes so that I can always blip the throttle. There are very few corners where I use my full foot on the brakes.

I have faced a scenario where a heel toe is not useful. There was a fast double left hander where I could just smoothly drop it into 3rd with no blip.
2000 E36/7 Z3 Steel Blue
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2014, 11:40 AM   #29
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD
Quote:
I DRIVE 6MT!!!
sure you do monkey boy!
Perfect shifts. Lackluster driving.

Appreciate 0
      04-17-2014, 12:38 PM   #30
LiM3y
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Quote:
I can't believe someone faked having a manual transmission to look cool on an internet forum...
      04-17-2014, 12:48 PM   #31
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiM3y
Quote:
I can't believe someone faked having a manual transmission to look cool on an internet forum...
Wait. Thats me though?

(Changed my name if ppl are confused)
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2014, 01:34 PM   #32
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Wait. Thats me though?

(Changed my name if ppl are confused)
i think its fake.

Appreciate 0
      04-18-2014, 09:01 PM   #33
TheKosherStogie
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3 DCT AW/Red

do you have a vid of you driving on the track? I once went for a ride with someone who was decent but didn't know how to Heel Toe and the amount of distance you lose braking letting off then downshifting (especially if its a 2 gear down shift, you have to just go 5-3 ) after braking is HUGE! I taught him and he next time I saw him he was so happy about it...no offense intended but I just don't know how you can even begin to be fast without doing it...If you have a vid id love to see...
BW C13 - 1:57:2
ACS - 1:49:6
WSIR - 1:30:6
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2014, 09:26 PM   #34
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKosherStogie View Post
do you have a vid of you driving on the track? I once went for a ride with someone who was decent but didn't know how to Heel Toe and the amount of distance you lose braking letting off then downshifting (especially if its a 2 gear down shift, you have to just go 5-3 ) after braking is HUGE! I taught him and he next time I saw him he was so happy about it...no offense intended but I just don't know how you can even begin to be fast without doing it...If you have a vid id love to see...
Yes I have a whole thread that's about my buid that includes video.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 07:29 PM   #35
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKosherStogie
I've been practicing a heel toe 2 gear change lately so i wont have to row through the gears. Ill test it next time out and se what happens :yikes:
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 08:18 PM   #36
TheKosherStogie
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3 DCT AW/Red

Quote:
I've been practicing a heel toe 2 gear change lately so i wont have to row through the gears. Ill test it next time out and se what happens :yikes:
I was taught to always go thru the gears so no expensive mistakes happen, you're on the brakes the whole time so doesnt matter and won't slow your times compare to jumping a gear which could be and expensive mistake if timed wrong
BW C13 - 1:57:2
ACS - 1:49:6
WSIR - 1:30:6
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 10:12 PM   #37
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKosherStogie
Quote:
I was taught to always go thru the gears so no expensive mistakes happen, you're on the brakes the whole time so doesnt matter and won't slow your times compare to jumping a gear which could be and expensive mistake if timed wrong
Good point. But since i shift late in the brakig zone and rpms would be low i was thinking of trying.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2014, 01:56 PM   #38
W Cole
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3

Just did a trackday with my buddy who has a z51 package C7. Pretty much what you would expect from a ~600 lb lighter car designed for the track with more power and a lot more torque than the m3. The z51 adjustable suspension gets more than stiff enough for the track and the car is amazingly flat and precise through the turns. The rev match feature works flawlessly and the traction control has more settings than I had time to figure out whereas the traction control in the M3 was frustrating to use as even MDM mode is far too restrictive and not really fun as the car is pretty much driving itself and masking what is going on.

In comparison to the vette my E92 with ohlins feels like an imprecise marshmallow. My E92 was boiling over the power steering fluid, the brakes would start fading mid-way through a session and now the steering wheel shudders horribly under braking. The C7 had no issues with brake fade or fluids boiling over - chevy designed it properly for track use.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2014, 02:06 PM   #39
LiM3y
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by W Cole View Post
Just did a trackday with my buddy who has a z51 package C7. Pretty much what you would expect from a ~600 lb lighter car designed for the track with more power and a lot more torque than the m3. The z51 adjustable suspension gets more than stiff enough for the track and the car is amazingly flat and precise through the turns. The rev match feature works flawlessly and the traction control has more settings than I had time to figure out whereas the traction control in the M3 was frustrating to use as even MDM mode is far too restrictive and not really fun as the car is pretty much driving itself and masking what is going on.

In comparison to the vette my E92 with ohlins feels like an imprecise marshmallow. My E92 was boiling over the power steering fluid, the brakes would start fading mid-way through a session and now the steering wheel shudders horribly under braking. The C7 had no issues with brake fade or fluids boiling over - chevy designed it properly for track use.
BEGONE, HERETIC! BURN HIM! BURN HIM TO THE GROUND!
      05-03-2014, 12:01 AM   #40
MikeD
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 6MT

Quote:
Have you tried double clutching?
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2014, 12:08 PM   #41
ayao
Thread killer
Rep
Drives: 1M

Interestingly Edmunds.com has a Z51 in their longterm fleet and they recently took it to Laguna Seca for a track day. There was some discussion on that blog about the odd rotor cooling rings recommended by GM for track use. (Any thoughts on how those work? Mechanism still unclear to me.)

Anyway, they swapped pads and fluids and still experienced significant amounts of fade. Couple this with Essex's analysis of both the Stingray's and the Z51-equipped brakes and it actually makes sense that the Vette's brakes didn't hold up under track use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W Cole View Post

Appreciate 0
      05-10-2014, 04:52 PM   #42
Killerfish2012
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335I, E92 M3

Saw this beauty at road america last weekend. They sure are making their way on track

Appreciate 0
      05-16-2014, 10:53 AM   #43
WarrantyTracker
Track? What Track? I was just riding along . . .
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White E92 M3

Last instructor I had in B group doesn't let his A students make passes on the first day until they have heel-toe more or less down. I think he gives them a break on the second day just to keep the frustration level down and not be a total buzzkill.

I'm having a time getting it down but hour-long stints on my local protected cloverleaf are helping.

Still, HPDE is about learning to be the driver you want to be. If you want to double-brake, do it. Hell, if you want to DCT, do it.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2014, 09:18 PM   #44
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrantyTracker View Post
Last instructor I had in B group doesn't let his A students make passes on the first day until they have heel-toe more or less down. I think he gives them a break on the second day just to keep the frustration level down and not be a total buzzkill.

I'm having a time getting it down but hour-long stints on my local protected cloverleaf are helping.

Still, HPDE is about learning to be the driver you want to be. If you want to double-brake, do it. Hell, if you want to DCT, do it.
I cant run some A groups due to my ladk of heel toe
Appreciate 0