BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - Northwest

BPM

07-28-2014, 07:33 PM   #1
mtfinger
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

BMW CCC & PCA Driver Skills Experience

Hi everyone,

Based on a lot of feedback from this group, I finally singed up for the BMW Car Control Clinic 2 weeks ago at Pacific. Then this past weekend I went to the PCA Driver Skills event at Bermerton.

All I have to say is "Why the hell did you guys let me take so long to do this!". I had a FANTASTIC time at both events.

It's amazing what this car will do. I have heard a number of times on this board that you cannot really appreciate this car unless you are on the track or at an event where you can really drive it. I can't speak for the track, but these type of driver skills events are great for letting your car stretch it's legs a bit.

Braking = Phenomenal
Balance = Exceptional
Cornering/Handling = Unbelievable
Acceleration = (Well, we all know about the acceleration)

Even if you are not thinking of tracking your car, I highly recommend these events. They teach real world skills for emergency situations like "Johnny running out into the busy street to get his ball". Johnny sure is lucky that there are some M3 on the road to brake and steer around him.

The PCA event was open for youth drivers, so I signed up my 17 year old son. We both participated with our own cars. Me and my M3 and my son with his 2006 VW Jetta.

Originally, I was a bit worried about bringing my 17 year old son. First, I didn't want a "learning to race" type course, and second he has a front wheel drive 2.5l Jetta (don't get me wrong I really like that car) and I was worried that being an "Econo" car he would not have a good experience. Both of my worries were unfounded. These may be pre-reqs for HPDEs, but they are SKILLs courses, not "how to race". Also, my son had a fantastic time in his Jetta which was perfect as he got to see how his car handles these types of situations.

My son and I will be taking both the BMW CCC and the next PCA Drivers Skills courses AGAIN later this year.

The only problem I ran into is that now I'm seriously thinking about busting my cherry at the next track day. I'm in and out of town over the next month or so, but some of you track guys may see me in Sept. I'll be the guy that can't stop smiling.

Matt
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2014, 03:45 PM   #2
E91 Hoarder
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E91 AWD, E91 RWD, E90, X535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoM3Yet View Post
Hi everyone,

Based on a lot of feedback from this group, I finally singed up for the BMW Car Control Clinic 2 weeks ago at Pacific. Then this past weekend I went to the PCA Driver Skills event at Bermerton.

The only problem I ran into is that now I'm seriously thinking about busting my cherry at the next track day. I'm in and out of town over the next month or so, but some of you track guys may see me in Sept. I'll be the guy that can't stop smiling.

Matt
Hey Matt, thanks for sharing! I've been thinking about doing the PCA Skill event for a while. Where do you sign up for it?

Appreciate 0
      07-30-2014, 11:26 AM   #3
mtfinger
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWTF? View Post
Hey Matt, thanks for sharing! I've been thinking about doing the PCA Skill event for a while. Where do you sign up for it?
You can go to http://motorsportreg.com and find most of the local driving events. BMW and PCA are listed as well as other things like Turn2 lapping events, etc.

Here is the link for the PCA event last weekend that I attended.

http://www.motorsportreg.com/events/...0#.U9kdnaxOWUk

(and yes it's says "Women's Day and Family Day", but since my son was also going, I didn't need to wear a dress to drive)
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 11:08 AM   #4
.Lindsay.
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, E30 vert, B5 S4

Ugh, I really need to bite the bullet and sign up for one of these events. I've wanted to and talked about doing it for a few years now but still havent done it. This thread was a good reminder and the feedback helped! Glad to hear you and your son had a great time!
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 12:17 PM   #5
kerrit
Major
Rep
Drives: Melbourne Red e90 M3

Garage List
2008 E90 M3  [0.00]
2014 M5 CP  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by .Lindsay. View Post
Ugh, I really need to bite the bullet and sign up for one of these events. I've wanted to and talked about doing it for a few years now but still havent done it. This thread was a good reminder and the feedback helped! Glad to hear you and your son had a great time!
Agreed.. it's $50 for BMWCCA yearly membership and then $125 for the clinic.

There's another one coming up August 8th

http://www.motorsportreg.com/index.c...8#.U9vLQPldUnU
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 04:32 PM   #6
mtfinger
Private
Rep

The PCA Driver Skills event was only $75 (each), and you don't need to belong to the club. It's a no brainer.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 05:55 PM   #7
kerrit
Major
Rep
Drives: Melbourne Red e90 M3

Garage List
2008 E90 M3  [0.00]
2014 M5 CP  [0.00]
Quote:
The PCA Driver Skills event was only $75 (each), and you don't need to belong to the club. It's a no brainer.
but will that count towards BMWCCA HPDE's, or do you still have to do the BMWCCA CCC?
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 10:18 AM   #8
.Lindsay.
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, E30 vert, B5 S4

Quote:
Awesome, good to know! Will definitely be doing it as soon as i have a bit of free time!
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 02:54 PM   #9
mtfinger
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrit View Post
but will that count towards BMWCCA HPDE's, or do you still have to do the BMWCCA CCC?
Good question. I'm not sure. I *believe* that PCA and BMWCCA accept each others "qualifications", but I'm not sure.
Appreciate 0