F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > BMW 1 Series Sedan Coming, But in FWD :(
GetBMWParts

09-27-2013, 10:02 AM   #45
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladberca View Post
2 series will have RWD, as Scott said: Coupe, Cabrio, GC, etc.
1 series wil be FWD. I'm curious who's on target for these models? Only new BMW customers?
I don't think we'll see many actual BMW customers to make the switch to a FWD car as they already like a RWD BMW.
Please read the article again. Yes, the upcoming first gen 2 series will have RWD. But we further consider the second gen 2 series having FWD and the reasoning for it.
Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2013, 10:03 AM   #46
MRV99
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP / 2017 RRS SC

Garage List
2017 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
This is no different than all the people in the US who have brain washed in to thinking that that if they don't have AWD and it snows that they will be stranded or stuck on the side of the road in a 1/2 inch snow drift.

17 M3 ZCP -- 2017 Range Rover Sport SC
--RIP--
12 X5 50i Sport -- 11 M3 DCT -- 2011 X5 50i(Lemon) -- 2008 550 Msport -- 2007 x5 4.8 sport -- 2004 545 sport -- 2002 x5 4.4 sport -- 2001 540i Msport 2000 SL500 -- 1997 SL500
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2013, 10:04 AM   #47
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by late apex View Post
Because they're competing with everyone else. If Mercedes and Audi are offering little FWD cars, BMW probably doesn't feel like they can win over enough customers with a RWD model. So they'll offer FWD & AWD as well. As enthusiast we want RWD, but it's the masses that companies make the majority of their money from. The FWD cars that Mercedes and Audi make aren't for enthusiast either so this is BMW positioning themselves to compete for overall sales. Hopefully BMW has plans in place for some new RWD cars to please enthusiast.
Yeah, maybe... But behind the decision is the greed, nothing else.

This company should stick to what they said in the past not be hypocritic. I guess that they don't have the pride to say "This is who we are, an exquisite company that build cars for enthusiasts".
The main problem is that if they will be everywhere and very affordable, all "wanna be" will buy them, BUT, in long run they will REALLY afect their image and not in a good way. The overal perception asa brand willbe changed forever. If BMW becomes popular and appealing to all masses, many old and valuable customers will walk away from a car that is at every corner. Yeah, they might go ahead with some good expensive cars in top, but usually, the succesful people do not want to share the badge with others, so they will walk to other brands. In long run, BMW will become a company with "record sales" in 1 series but will loose somewhere else; this will change their image tremendously in time. They will benefit from it few years, but in the long run, they will loose the titlethat took years to be achieved.
Also, there are many FWD cars outhere, why in earth somebody will buy a small FWD BMW when you can buy for less money a Honda or Toyota? Even if the prices are similar, why somebody will be willing to cope with their service prices and parts, not to mention the two arrogant careless dealers when they can pick anytime one of the 7 Honda dealers in town? Only if you are an idiot, will buy a such car that cost in maintenance double. Or, only if you really like the car design like is no other, but that is not BMW's case...

In my opinion, it is a bad move, but whocares about my thinking anyway?

I wonder, what the sales associates will do with their BMW provided toys that they use to show you how superior RWD is?

Hypocrits!
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2013, 10:04 AM   #48
Diver
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black '12 135i - Sold

I would not worry about a 2 series that might come after the 2 series we will see in January. That is at least 6 years off and anything might happen by then. It could also wind up being like Audi where base models are FWD and upscale are AWD. There are too many possibilities.
      09-27-2013, 10:08 AM   #49
ramuman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: -

Can't wait for the aftermarket quad exhausts to come out for this.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2013, 10:12 AM   #50
wilstave
Legend
Rep
Drives: Loading...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneDirty View Post
lol indeed
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2013, 10:17 AM   #51
late apex
No Guts - No Glory
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracus View Post
Yeah, maybe... But behind the decision is the greed, nothing else.

This company should stick to what they said in the past not be hypocritic. I guess that they don't have the pride to say "This is who we are, an exquisite company that build cars for enthusiasts".
The main problem is that if they will be everywhere and very affordable, all "wanna be" will buy them, BUT, in long run they will REALLY afect their image and not in a good way. The overal perception asa brand willbe changed forever. If BMW becomes popular and appealing to all masses, many old and valuable customers will walk away from a car that is at every corner. Yeah, they might go ahead with some good expensive cars in top, but usually, the succesful people do not want to share the badge with others, so they will walk to other brands. In long run, BMW will become a company with "record sales" in 1 series but will loose somewhere else; this will change their image tremendously in time. They will benefit from it few years, but in the long run, they will loose the titlethat took years to be achieved.
Also, there are many FWD cars outhere, why in earth somebody will buy a small FWD BMW when you can buy for less money a Honda or Toyota? Even if the prices are similar, why somebody will be willing to cope with their service prices and parts, not to mention the two arrogant careless dealers when they can pick anytime one of the 7 Honda dealers in town? Only if you are an idiot, will buy a such car that cost in maintenance double. Or, only if you really like the car design like is no other, but that is not BMW's case...

In my opinion, it is a bad move, but whocares about my thinking anyway?

I wonder, what the sales associates will do with their BMW provided toys that they use to show you how superior RWD is?

Hypocrits!

Well if BMW isn't successful as a company, they wont be making any more cars for enthusiast ever! They have to tailor their vehicle lineup to appeal to the masses. I'm sure they'll continue to offer a few vehicles that focus on driving experience, but their main lineup wont.

When BMW (you can include Audi and Mercedes as well) start tailoring most of their vehicles to enthusiast we'll see a lot of happy people on car forums and a lot happy magazine editors. However, shortly after we would see reports of the worst sales decrease in history. BMW, Audi, and Mercedes would be looking for a Gov bailout because the masses aren't buying and do not want the same thing enthusiast want.
2010 Corvette ZR1 - sold
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2013, 10:18 AM   #52
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S3

Garage List
Ugh...Fwd bmw. No thanks! I'll really jump ship since I was considering sticking with a 2 series from now on. But never ever in FWD variant. I'll just jump ship and get something else. Audi with Quattro is looking mighty nice now days..just sayin.
      09-27-2013, 10:18 AM   #53
alexmtl_135i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 C63 Coupe P31

I hope they keep the 2 Series RWD at least.

For the 1 series... Well that's expected really, and not really surprising. Plus there are some excellent FWD driver oriented cars, like the Golf GTI, Focus ST and RS, Renault Megane RS, Mini Cooper S, etc... And not counting the FWD-based AWD cars like Audi RS3 and Mercedes A45 / CLA45 AMG. I'm sure the BMW FWD cars will still be fun to drive.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2013, 10:20 AM   #54
VANOS
NFS
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

Ya... Stupid move by BMW. Stick to what you guys are great at... Making RWD cars!
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2013, 10:27 AM   #55
Yay-Z
Shifting to Top Gear
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 M5/E70 X5

BMW seems to have really changed the direction they want to take their company. I'm usually all for change but these moves of late have left my head scratching.
      09-27-2013, 10:35 AM   #56
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Well if BMW isn't successful as a company, they wont be making any more cars for enthusiast ever! They have to tailor their vehicle lineup to appeal to the masses. I'm sure they'll continue to offer a few vehicles that focus on driving experience, but their main lineup wont.

When BMW (you can include Audi and Mercedes as well) start tailoring most of their vehicles to enthusiast we'll see a lot of happy people on car forums and a lot happy magazine editors. However, shortly after we would see reports of the worst sales decrease in history. BMW, Audi, and Mercedes would be looking for a Gov bailout because the masses aren't buying and do not want the same thing enthusiast want.
You are missing the point.
The masses have already cars to buy. Lots.
And why buy a cheap car that will be a burden to maintain?
Does it look to you that BMW is in a financial crisis now, hense, they need a cheap FWD car?
If you want to keep you luxury title you don wash the badge with cheap stuff.
Even the masses car manufacturers understand the litle concept of not washing the badge. Toyota sell Lexus, Ford has Lincoln, Nissan has Infinity, etc. ithelps the badge.
Mercedes is not what it used tobe. This is why they are where they are.
Audi did a mistake too, they should stick with their guns.

Mini was the prefect platform for this, why wash the badge?
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2013, 10:37 AM   #57
Yay-Z
Shifting to Top Gear
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 M5/E70 X5

Quote:

Do you have an example of this? In fact it seems what we've seen is that when car companies start to build cars for their enthusiast faction they see more success. Look at Ford, GM and Chrysler.

Enthusiasts when pleased will be your biggest advertisement.
      09-27-2013, 10:46 AM   #58
Jay-K
Brigadier General
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: Slow

please keep it simple, original and AUTHENTIC.
      09-27-2013, 10:50 AM   #59
jaehshim
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

told yall
2013 marks the end of true BMW era
      09-27-2013, 10:58 AM   #60
Pinz
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 Coupe

It's up to BMW how they want to "share" the platform. A FWD model and a RWD model could share most parts except transmission and differential, but if they make 4 wheel drive the thing, it would be more interesting. Especially if you could manually adjust the distribution to the wheels.

An entry level 1 series FWD to spread the BMW brand, and a 2 series RWD for more fun. Maybe the higher end xDrive 1 series will have an option to distribute 100% of power to the rear wheels to make it drive like a RWD car?
      09-27-2013, 11:01 AM   #61
BimmerMat135
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: E82M/S213 E450 A/T

What a shame, we were told that the 2 serie will remain ''the enthusiam'' car within the BMW line up. Good luck doing that if it switch to a FWD layout. Please BMW don`t mess up the next M2 in order for me to have an happy ending with my personal ''bmw story''.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2013, 11:04 AM   #62
USC2000
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M Sport

Funny how everyone seems to know what's best for BMW. Probably because BMW has no experience as a car manufacturer. Maybe you all can work for them and save the company before it's too late. I'm sure it would be really successful.
If you don't like it, move on. Everyone complains about all the new models before they are out, yet so many people seem to be buying them and enjoying them when they are released. Why is that? Hmmm.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2013, 11:06 AM   #63
kablammo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: x1 sDrive, e53 4.4, e36 M3/4/5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerjph
If the 3 and 4 series are the smallest RWD cars available, then not only am I never buying a new BMW but I am done being a BMW enthusiast. I am tired of getting shafted at the release of every new model.
+1

Completely and utterly disappointed with BMW. For shame.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2013, 11:13 AM   #64
LOVEM
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1m VO

Quote:
Originally Posted by USC2000 View Post
Funny how everyone seems to know what's best for BMW. Probably because BMW has no experience as a car manufacturer. Maybe you all can work for them and save the company before it's too late. I'm sure it would be really successful.
If you don't like it, move on. Everyone complains about all the new models before they are out, yet so many people seem to be buying them and enjoying them when they are released. Why is that? Hmmm.
AGREED.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2013, 11:14 AM   #65
pj.rodriguez
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 128i Cabrio

Garage List
damn it. FWD? I also hate how they say "entry level". Just the worst. Just the worst. They're making the 1-series seem like the "lowest level" BMW. But personally. After seeing a trillion 3 series, (priced lower than a 1 series), i'm not convinced this is an "entry level" bmw. But FWD. that makes my chest tight.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2013, 11:17 AM   #66
Ashley Schaeffer BMW
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Not the end of the world.

Also why do people keep talking about the M2??

Didnt this site say there would be NO M2 and only a M235i?
Appreciate 0