F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > usa car magnet decal
Extreme Powerhouse

02-26-2010, 04:14 PM   #1
bimmercontrol
Second Lieutenant
Serbia
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
usa car magnet decal

hey guys, im buying a 335i and will be taking it to europe with me. i dont want to run in to problems for not having the usa sticker but i also dont want to put a sticker on my car.

i saw a few people in the euro delivery forum had "D" magnets, i would need a "USA" magnet. if anyone has one or knows where to get one please let me know.

i found one here:

http://www.zippypress.com/carmagnets...uctId=20130015

will get it if i cant find one that juts says "USA" the flags may make others think im a ignorant show off american and i prefer to stay as discrete as possible
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2010, 05:34 PM   #2
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

You only will need a USA oval IF you drive your car over here WITH your US state tags. IF you get an EU tag, with the blue left stripe... this is good enough to travel to ANY EU nation. Most people just slap the USA Oval on the rear window. There is no law on where it must go nor how big the oval should be. Some (German)people run very small ovals with their old non eu tags.

In the ol' days... when Germans had those white and black long tags/plates(or in the REALLY old days) the oval tags!) you needed an D to signify what country your car is registered in. Now, with the EU white tags with the blue left stripe - you do not need the ovals.

Actually it is getting pretty dam hard to find the oval D for sale anymore. Mainly bc by now EVERYONE has the new EU tags.

IF you ship your US car to Germany, you can pay a tax and duty fee. Also a deposit, and drive your USA registered car over here for a short time period. I have seen MANY American cars driven in europe with "just" thier home state tags on them. Most Oregon and Nevada and Florida cars for some reason. Btw... I do not mean people who are in the Military like myself. I am not talking about NATO or Army Europe tags. I am talking about US State tags - like from any state in the USA.

I also remember visiting the inner bowels of Porsche's special wishes and private service dept in Zuffenhausen. There I saw SEVEN 959's!!! And THREE of them had US state tags. One from Nevade, Oregon and California I think. I was just blown away then! And that was back in 2001. So I am not sure HOW they could legally drive those cars in those states. lol

You will still need a first aid kit, warning triangle and warning vest(for each person in the car!). When you visit other EU countries you will also need a spare light bulb kit & for some lands, an extra warning triangle(Spain and Portugal!!).

good luck
David
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2010, 05:37 PM   #3
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Ohh... btw... most US spec BMWs will only travel up to 130 mph. When you take euro delivery, BMW ups this to 155mph - only on thier sport option'd cars. But "most" us spec car delivered in the US will only go 130mph. You should also check your tires for EU and DOT and the appropiate speed ratings. ) Alot of people forget about this stuff until they come over here. lol
Appreciate 0