F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > A Look Into the BMW Safety Research Process
proTUNING Freaks

10-31-2016, 01:57 AM   #23
Joey13
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 Azurite Black M4

Safe in real world

We have safe cars in driving a BMW. I lost consciousness from a medical problem (micro sleep) and hit a power pole dead centre after i drifted from the road and according to crash cam hit at 61km/h (40m/h) with no braking. Plenty of people say "that's not that quick" but think of that speed and the car absorbing the impact in one metre or so (around 3.5 feet).

I woke to 3 airbags having detonated and my seatbelt pretensioner. The cabin was full of airbag dust but the windscreen was undamaged and there was no intrusion into the Cabin.

I had severe brusing on my legs and arms but ok. I fractured 2 ribs from the seatbelt and somehow fractured my coccyx and my nose. Within a short time I heard the BMW safety call auto dial and a nice guy say friendly but firmly "sir hello , hello please respond...... " I said I was fine but he said "with all due respect you have sustained a high deceleration car accident with 3 airbags deployed and our systems suggest you are likely to have sustained an injury so can you check over your body....". Your M4 is likely to have sustained very severe damage

This was comforting knowing I was not alone and the BMW call centre guy proceeded to call for a tow truck , ambulance and police. I was able to open the doors and look the power pole where it had started to split and later needed replacing. I thank the car universe that I was in that car that day

Real world crash data is more useful sometimes than lab results though both have their place. Volvo, Mercedes and BMW all collate real word events to make the cars safer. I know now not from a brochure but from a rather traumatic accident that My Bmw M4 had my best interests as a priority during and the car ended up an irreparable write off.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0