F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > BMW 'reinvents the 3-series'
Studio RSR

08-04-2009, 07:58 PM   #1
Zero Boss
Rep
Drives: .

BMW 'reinvents the 3-series'

Article from Autocar on the next generation 3 series:

http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsAr...llCars/242108/

BMW is poised to completely reinvent the 3-series family for the low-carbon age.
Talking exclusively to Autocar, a senior BMW source revealed that a ground-up rethink of the company’s biggest-selling model will ensure that the next-generation 3-series will “remain relevant even when it goes off sale in 12 years’ time”.

The new 3-series is expected to make its public debut at the 2011 Paris motor show. In its first incarnation, the new model is expected to offer class-leading aerodynamics, with a Cd figure of 0.24, as well as pioneering the use of three-cylinder engines in premium vehicles.

The 3-series is part of a new BMW strategy in which ‘premium’ is defined in terms of environmental compatibility. It is this strategy that has prompted BMW to pull out of Formula One from the end of this year.

The reinvention will step up a gear in 2016 when the 3-series undergoes a mid-life revamp. This is expected to represent the biggest technological step-change in car design for decades.

Sources say much of the underskin technology — such as the climate control system — will be completely re-engineered. Many of today’s in-car systems have in principle remained unchanged for decades.

BMW engineers are already years into programmes that will extend the reach of the company’s successful Efficient Dynamics fuel-saving tech to make all aspects of the 3-series — not just the engines — as energy-efficient as possible.
To this end, BMW has fitted thousands of existing customers’ cars with sophisticated black boxes that record all aspects of their use, helping engineers to plan the shape of future models.

For example, the research shows that of all BMW’s models, the 320d is driven the fastest and over the greatest distances by owners. This information will directly influence work on replacements for the 320d to optimise fuel efficiency in the light of this model’s particular duty cycle.

Much of this engineering work is also aimed at the future ‘electrification’ of the car.
BMW’s product planners expect most future car families — especially those in the premium sector — to come in both hybrid and fully electric forms.

This means the design of the car’s electrical architecture and ancillaries will have to be completely rethought to deal with being powered purely by battery. Insiders say headlamps, for example, will have to become far more energy-efficient.

Last edited by Zero Boss; 08-15-2009 at 08:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2009, 08:06 PM   #2
Citizen Z
Alpine Master
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i AW Sport

Wow, thats horrible. That big vapid Joker smile has to go.

Fastness: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=252727
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2009, 08:43 PM   #3
TK-421
Registered Sex Offender
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 | 1JZ S13

"'Premium' is defined in terms of environmental compatibility"

WTF I feel as if we should say goodbye to "The Ultimate Driving Machine."

Also, the 3er will be gone in 12 years? Um, why?? It's you highest selling model. It has a large, loyal fan base and an even larger amount of yuppies who will buy it no matter how bad it may be since it's an inexpensive BMW. You can most definitely adapt it to fit the times.

Lastly, how do we know our cars don't have those black boxes? I sure as hell don't wouldn't want one in my car and I bet not to many others do either, considering the backlash that came out regarding the ones in the GTRs.
      08-04-2009, 08:49 PM   #4
Citizen Z
Alpine Master
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i AW Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by news 4 u View Post

Agreed

Quote:
Also, the 3er will be gone in 12 years? Um, why?? It's you highest selling model. It has a large, loyal fan base and an even larger amount of yuppies who will buy it no matter how bad it may be since it's an inexpensive BMW. You can most definitely adapt it to fit the times.
Reading comprehension fail. They are referring to the fact that an average BMW model (e.g. E92, E46, et al) lasts 7 years; the next will last from 2011 to 2018 just as the current E92 will have lasted from 2004 to 2011.

Fastness: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=252727
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2009, 08:52 PM   #5
TK-421
Registered Sex Offender
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 | 1JZ S13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizen Z View Post
Reading comprehension fail. They are referring to the fact that an average BMW model (e.g. E92, E46, et al) lasts 7 years; the next will last from 2011 to 2018 just as the current E92 will have lasted from 2004 to 2011.
Lol at my fail. I have the flu and probably need to tone down the Robitussin intake
      08-04-2009, 09:09 PM   #6
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

3 cylinder, hmmmm. An N27 (half an N54)?

I'd suspect that's the engine for the hybrid - figure about 150+ HP supplemented by 50 to 75 kW of electrical energy. The all up power should be around 200 kW. (Conversion is 100 HP ~ 75 kW, 100 kw ~ 134 HP.)

Wonder how much weight they have to shave off the existing 3er to accommodate the slab of batteries needed for the hybrid. And don't look for an all-electric 3er until the next gen of Lithium ion batteries is available.

Last edited by atr_hugo; 08-05-2009 at 09:31 AM.. Reason: Department of Redundancy Department
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2009, 09:20 PM   #7
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

I'm afraid BMW has totally lost their way. This one may be my last.

The cars keep getting bigger and bigger, but at least the power has been climbing to keep up. They're also getting more and more complex, but the quality doesn't seem to be matching.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2009, 10:18 PM   #8
ianbiz
Back in a BMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizen Z View Post
Wow, thats horrible. That big vapid Joker smile has to go.
looks like a cheap ass mazda 3
      08-04-2009, 10:18 PM   #9
ianbiz
Back in a BMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyc74 View Post
I'm afraid BMW has totally lost their way. This one may be my last.

The cars keep getting bigger and bigger, but at least the power has been climbing to keep up. They're also getting more and more complex, but the quality doesn't seem to be matching.
not to mention they are watering down everything, including tradition.
      08-04-2009, 10:31 PM   #10
reRESERVEDFX
(oO (||||) (||||) Oo)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 BMW Z4 3.0i 03 BMW M5 DINAN

WTF is BMW doing? Seriously I've read like 3 lines of this article and just couldn't read any more. What are all those wobbly POS cars doing in their line up??!?!? BMW was always meant to be about comfort and luxury but with the ultimate in high performance. Let Mercedes and Audi do their luxury german softies. BMW should stay as something that will bring you smile and giggles throughout their entire range. Doesn't matter if it's the M3 or the 7. All of them should feel hard and vicious.
      08-04-2009, 10:59 PM   #11
IceDragon2000
US Air Force
Germany
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 135i

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
Looks like an ugly Dodge Charger, EkE! I hate hybrids and electrics, too. Looks like my childhood love for BMW will have to fade away. Freaking environmentalist, I hate them.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2009, 11:08 PM   #12
Spaceman Spiff
Captain
Rep
Drives: R8, 996 C2, Z4MR (sold)

WTF! Are they trying to dispose of their current client base and go after the Prius crowd? This has got to be the most stupid article of the year.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2009, 11:21 PM   #13
wellwell
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

i wouldnt mind a smaller, lighter 3 series. my e92 feels like a big heavy tank coming from an E46 and E36. no comment on the rest of the article
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2009, 11:37 PM   #14
Silvertige
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 e92 M3

Garage List
1988 BMW 535i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellwell View Post
i wouldnt mind a smaller, lighter 3 series. my e92 feels like a big heavy tank coming from an E46 and E36. no comment on the rest of the article
+1. When you see an e30 next to an e92 its just ridiculous.
      08-05-2009, 12:29 AM   #15
Draman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F06 650i, G05 X5, Taycan turbo

Thumbs down

I'm BMW brings out a 3 cylinder engine I'm moving on to MB or Audi and not looking back. With the way BMW is seemingly heading they are poised to become what Audi was 10ish years ago (a company in the grey area between premium brands and mainstream brands). At the same time with the way Audi seems to be heading they are poised to take BMW's place next to MB as the other big premium German brand.

G05 X5 m50i Mineral White / Tartufo

Porsche Taycan Turbo Carrara White / Limestone Beige
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2009, 01:09 AM   #16
jibaholic101
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: women wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by news 4 u View Post

Lastly, how do we know our cars don't have those black boxes? I sure as hell don't wouldn't want one in my car and I bet not to many others do either, considering the backlash that came out regarding the ones in the GTRs.
great post!

seriously, what in the flying fuck is BMW doing!?!?!?!?!?! what kraut has gone sour and is deciding to kill the whole brand? if you want eco, get a civic!!!! are we going to hear next that the //M program is being cut back severely, so we can make faster, uglier, bigger SUVs and cut sports cars because they are bad for the environment?!?! although the design in that rendering is very sleek, i dont get why they are killing such a good engine in favor of smaller and smaller blocks. can you please name to me what car company that you guys know of has taken their most raved about engines N52 and N54 and downgraded them instead of building upon them?! if BMW keeps this up and destroys the brand, i dont see my future in buying their cars, i will have to just man up and get porsches or italian cars for my fun vehicles and worry about something else castrated for DDs
      08-05-2009, 03:24 AM   #17
DrunkOnJ20
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: RIP E90 :(

Yuck.
      08-05-2009, 07:00 AM   #18
ptack
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]
Looks like they're going into the land yatch business. Maybe they will starting includng a captain's hats with every sedan.
      08-05-2009, 07:04 AM   #19
218dhb
Head in Th Sky!
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si Roadster

BMW always have led in the design and development of the car, benz and Audi usually follows BMW's foot steps then after GM and lexus are not far behind (just look at the i-drive or bangle design..its in almost every car out). so by thinking how BMW's past moves have been bold and spot on i believe this next move will be just as spot on...

the leader does not follow others and by doing this they make moves everyone (including their customers) question why at first, only to have everyone else follow later. they know what their doing with the brand, take it easy on them..customers

also i love how 1 series customers are on these boards talking smack on how BMW will move backwards. i can see a 7 series owner looking down at the reporting but how the hell do 1 series customers? that's the cheapest quality and make in the company..
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2009, 07:41 AM   #20
kinan_sleiman2006
Lieutenant
Syria
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Smile Next Generation Bmw 2011 (3) Series

Having been out-BMWed (new word for you) by the current C-Class, Bavaria is keen to return to the top of the compact executive segment. Details apparently uncovered by Autocar point to a revolutionary vehicle ready to be everything to everyone.

As far as design is concerned the next 3 Series should be a step outside of the current look. Previous Director of Design Chris Bangle believed in radical styling changes only after every second generation. Should the new boss Adrian van Hooydonk keep to the same philosophy then we should see a 3 that is only slightly different from the current car come 2011. What is for sure is that it will have exceptional aerodynamics with an expected Cd figure of around 0.24, thanks in part to something called an Air Curtain.

Fuel efficiency is of course the big talking point these days. BMW already has EfficientDynamics as its flagship fuel-saving system. It will be taken to the next level for the 3. An example of this is the use of "black box" technology that currently resides in 3 Series vehicles. One piece of information gathered is that those who pilot 320d models drive the fastest and the longest distances. So the next 320d will take this into account and offer better performance and an even longer per-tank range. Some form of kinetic energy recovery system will be fitted as well.

Turbocharged units will be in full circulation at BMW by the time the 3 Series hits the streets. For its purposes we may see three-cylinder petrol turbo engines of a 1.5-litre displacement delivering about 150hp (112kW) while their diesel counterparts are likely to offer around 300Nm of torque. The 8-speed automatic gearbox first seen in the 7 Series will make its way into the 3 while the 7-speed DCT keeps its exclusive place within the performance models.

The internet is becoming far more important to the automotive world than ever before. Therefore the 3 Series will be well connected and feature technology like real-time traffic information. A new power-efficient air conditioning system is being developed to debut in the range as well.

FOR PICS of BMW model wind channel Aerodynamic Testing Centre:

http://www.worldcarfans.com/10908052...details-emerge
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2009, 08:20 AM   #21
MTROIS
Major
France
Rep
Drives: on the wrong side of the Ocean

Quote:
Originally Posted by F000007 View Post
Article from Autocar on the next generation 3 series:

http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsAr...llCars/242108/

For example, the research shows that of all BMW’s models, the 320d is driven the fastest and over the greatest distances by owners. This information will directly influence work on replacements for the 320d to optimise fuel efficiency in the light of this model’s particular duty cycle.
This is really interesting! Does it mean that people who buy big engines like the 335d are just poseurs?? What is sure is that I may not be driving very long distances (but still 13,000 miles in just a year) but I am sure that a 320d would not catch up with me!
      08-05-2009, 08:39 AM   #22
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinan_sleiman2006 View Post
Having been out-BMWed (new word for you) by the current C-Class, Bavaria is keen to return to the top of the compact executive segment. Details apparently uncovered by Autocar point to a revolutionary vehicle ready to be everything to everyone.

As far as design is concerned the next 3 Series should be a step outside of the current look. Previous Director of Design Chris Bangle believed in radical styling changes only after every second generation. Should the new boss Adrian van Hooydonk keep to the same philosophy then we should see a 3 that is only slightly different from the current car come 2011. What is for sure is that it will have exceptional aerodynamics with an expected Cd figure of around 0.24, thanks in part to something called an Air Curtain.

Fuel efficiency is of course the big talking point these days. BMW already has EfficientDynamics as its flagship fuel-saving system. It will be taken to the next level for the 3. An example of this is the use of "black box" technology that currently resides in 3 Series vehicles. One piece of information gathered is that those who pilot 320d models drive the fastest and the longest distances. So the next 320d will take this into account and offer better performance and an even longer per-tank range. Some form of kinetic energy recovery system will be fitted as well.

Turbocharged units will be in full circulation at BMW by the time the 3 Series hits the streets. For its purposes we may see three-cylinder petrol turbo engines of a 1.5-litre displacement delivering about 150hp (112kW) while their diesel counterparts are likely to offer around 300Nm of torque. The 8-speed automatic gearbox first seen in the 7 Series will make its way into the 3 while the 7-speed DCT keeps its exclusive place within the performance models.

The internet is becoming far more important to the automotive world than ever before. Therefore the 3 Series will be well connected and feature technology like real-time traffic information. A new power-efficient air conditioning system is being developed to debut in the range as well.

FOR PICS of BMW model wind channel Aerodynamic Testing Centre:

http://www.worldcarfans.com/10908052...details-emerge
I agree with your take on this, and I do not believe Uncle Adrian will fail us!
Appreciate 0