F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > Introducing the BMW Concept Active Tourer Outdoor
GetBMWParts

07-11-2013, 09:37 AM   #67
wdeerfield
A family of bimmers
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 G01 X3M40i

Becoming the Chevy of Germany
      07-11-2013, 09:50 AM   #68
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdeerfield View Post
Actually that role is already filled by - wait for it:

http://www.chevrolet.de/

Chevrolet of Germany.

It is entertaining to see the outpouring of emotion that results from the impact the marketing industry has on us. So many people with such dedication to the messages that advertising campaigns implant in their brains. But the real neat part is how methodically they can get you to pull a 180 which is what will happen with this vehicle as it fills up US roadways next year.

Personally I have to favor the i3 vs the 1 AT right now due to the RWD and cool tech. I am sure it is smaller, but neither of them is huge.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2013, 10:08 AM   #69
wdeerfield
A family of bimmers
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 G01 X3M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
It is entertaining to see the outpouring of emotion that results from the impact the marketing industry has on us. So many people with such dedication to the messages that advertising campaigns implant in their brains. But the real neat part is how methodically they can get you to pull a 180 which is what will happen with this vehicle as it fills up US roadways next year.
I think the main problem BMW enthusiasts have with all these random models is that it is diluting the brand and now BMW is cross shopped with hyundai and now even Chevy. Not only do those cars have more tech, they are standard options! I cant believe a 50k car has halogen lights and its $1k for xenons that come standard on an accord. Introducing a car that fills the needs of EVERYONE is not what BMW should be about. They should be about their "ultimate driving machine". Now its just to fill voids and squeeze as much profit out of the roundel they can. Im not a fan of the lines in the new 3er and that has since been extended to the 5er. Gone are the days of just choosing the options you want. Next we'll see cars badged to let people know what line it is, just like LT, LTZ, Z71.. etc.. i can see it now, 335iSL. They've gotten m badge happy with the m-sports, itll trickle down to the SL, ML, LL next. They've already started to ruin the C-pillar on the AH3, AH5. Now they even have "Gran Coupe" in the glass on the side window.
      07-11-2013, 10:42 AM   #70
BMWRL
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 528xi

Looks great! Best looking MPV compared to the competition.
      07-11-2013, 11:42 AM   #71
DesertSmokeBBQ
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F30 335i M-Sport

Garage List
2013 BMW  [0.00]
Looks like the bastard child of an A Class and an X3 conceived over a bottle of cheap tequila with a David Hasselhoff CD playing in the background....

Traded 9-1-13 '13 Estoril Blue II F30 - 328i - ZMM - ZPP -ZDY - ZTB - 403 - 465 - 494 - 4DX- LC (Black) - 6NL
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2013, 11:51 AM   #72
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdeerfield View Post
I think the main problem BMW enthusiasts have with all these random models is that it is diluting the brand and now BMW is cross shopped with hyundai and now even Chevy.
Let me introduce you to the Mercedes B Class.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_B-Class

So BMW is merely trying to compete with a rival company.

Quote:
Not only do those cars have more tech, they are standard options! I cant believe a 50k car has halogen lights and its $1k for xenons that come standard on an accord.
But there have always been alternatives out there that are cheaper.

People are upset because the "Ulitmate Driving Machine" association they identify with is no longer as attractive as it once was due to a newly diverse product lineup. The products themselves, however, are still competent as always. Well there have been missteps, but so too has the competition.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2013, 01:47 PM   #73
Mamasgotkids
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009
I don't think that looks bad for a minivan.
Mini van? Uh that's not a mini van. I can say that with certainty having owned two mini vans in a past life.

It's not bad looking. No it's not an M, it will not win a drag race, or make fanatic bmw fans happy. But as a mom of 2, I'd be interested because it looks like more space my f30 currently gives me.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2013, 02:24 PM   #74
Vervain
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: .

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by aajami View Post
Where does this fit in BMW's product lineup? Is this part of the i class of cars? Or is it below the X1?
I read that it will be introduced as a 1 series GT. Reports suggest that this concept is underpinned by BMW’s new ULK1 (Unter Klasse) platform, which will form the foundations of several 1- and 2 Series models, as well as all future Minis..
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2013, 02:28 PM   #75
Matski
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: A slow BMW

Oh man this is becoming tedious.. Not the constant stream of new models from BMW, but the constant bitching from this forum.

Right now I'm ashamed to be a BMW enthuisiast, not because of the active tourer, but because it makes me part of a group that appears to be narrow minded, mis-informed, self centric people who don't seem to be able to get out a sentence without using the word 'diluted'!

Seriously, some of the posts in the past week just make me want to rip the legs off puppies.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2013, 02:55 PM   #76
Meeni
Gateropode
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i 06

This looks like photoshop and CGI. The car doesn't even exist, does it ?
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2013, 04:00 PM   #77
gvega702
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2004 BMW 325i Premium | Sport

BMW is slowly but surely turning into GM pre-bankruptcy. They are trying to cater to every single niche and clientele to make more money. And they will... up to a certain point, until they are bland as can be for trying to cater to everyone. "When you appeal to everyone you appeal to no one."
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2013, 04:01 PM   #78
gvega702
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2004 BMW 325i Premium | Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdeerfield
Exactly!
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2013, 04:10 PM   #79
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Let me introduce you to the Mercedes B Class.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_B-Class

So BMW is merely trying to compete with a rival company.

But there have always been alternatives out there that are cheaper.

People are upset because the "Ulitmate Driving Machine" association they identify with is no longer as attractive as it once was due to a newly diverse product lineup. The products themselves, however, are still competent as always. Well there have been missteps, but so too has the competition.
The Mercedes-Benz B-Klasse which was launched in late Sept. 2011 has sold over a 100,000 units, so there is demand for a premium space concept.
The segment which the Active Tourer will enter is growing , so far this year sales of this segment has seen an increase of 45% with further increases projected for 2014 the year Active Tourer launches on the market.

BMW are aiming for a launch that will symbolise the advantages of the Active Tourer, it will drive like a car , offer exceptional flexibility in a sporting dynamic look as what you expect from BMW. It will also offer a longer wheelbase Gran model allowing BMW to offer entry customers full seven seat capacity for the first time outside the X5 increasing customer appeal, for those that have large families they will understand the need for such space.

Yes the car is FWD but for some customers and more likely the majority , they will favour the cars impressive interior space because Active Tourer does offer an abundance of space and the lure of a BMW will also factor.

BMW North America will also use the advantage of the Mercedes-Benz B-Klasse by offering both vehicles to American customers. Mercedes do not sell the B-Klasse in the US.

Active Tourer Concept Outdoor actually illustrates a theory by former BMW Design Director Chris Bangle who stated quite a few years back of the progress of how people will provide greater use for the car as well as connectivity being regarded as a must-have feature. Active Tourer Outdoor also implies of further ability for flexibility and extra storage which will be available with the production car.

BMW are hoping that Active Tourer mimics the first BMW X5 launch that proved that the market is out there for a dynamic SAV and for BMW they have evaluated through clinic testing and surveys that there is demand for a BMW that lists space as a priority along with dynamics and design.

Although the car is FWD, BMW have engineered Active Tourer to be more Sportier and dynamic to drive than its boxier competitors.

And regarding Audi? They have a van based on the A3 upcoming too which again shows that there is a strong customer bank for these types of cars.

BMW is driven by product , product that must be sold in reasonable volume , product that must appeal to a range of customers , product that must grab the attention of new customers, product that introduces new technology , product that enhances desirability, product that focuses on sustainability , product that breaks boundaries and product that will bring the customer back again and again. That just does not sum up BMW but BMWM , BMWi , BMW Motorrad , MINI and Rolls-Royce.

The big picture behind the Active Tourer is that it ushers in a new modular matrix which allows the UKL and MINI to be far more profitable. The UKL cars also allow BMW to reach its imposed targets for emissions that is why there will be many of them. It also symbolises a growing trend for premium compact cars.

And that is why our competitors are focusing on the BMW product model .
Attached Images

07-11-2013, 05:54 PM   #80
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535iGT x-drive; i3 BEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamspeed View Post
So we should waste 90% of the interior space by putting bikes in there instead of just mounting on the roof or the rear? >.<
Have you ever driven a long distance with a couple of bikes on the roof? How about forgotten they're there and driven into the garage? Or, had them disappear when outside, even if you put a lock on them? Some people just don't have the strength to hoist them up there, either. Much more accessible sliding them in the rear.

Being able to put them inside is HUGE. Sure, they could break into the car, but that puts it into a different category in the theft hierarchy.

You should be happy BMW is filling various niches - brings in more money, lets them spend more money on development all across the lines.

BMW, MB, Audi, all have a different face in Europe and most of the rest of the world...they offer full-line vehicles. For years, they only brought in their premium versions. Take all of those power this, power that, leather seats, etc. out, and the guy living next to you might have a 5-series that cost $30K less than yours. It doesn't tend to bother them, why should it bother you?
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2013, 06:04 PM   #81
Z4inAZ
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4 2.5 03

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadnashuanh View Post
You should be happy BMW is filling various niches - brings in more money, lets them spend more money on development all across the lines.
Its hurting their brand image which LONG term hurts them. gvega702 hit the nail on the head when he said this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvega702
BMW is slowly but surely turning into GM pre-bankruptcy. They are trying to cater to every single niche and clientele to make more money. And they will... up to a certain point, until they are bland as can be for trying to cater to everyone. "When you appeal to everyone you appeal to no one."
BMW used to sell a lot of products based on exclusivity or at least, PERCEIVED exclusivity. Now with a BMW for everyone at every price range and niche market, its not exclusive. In Europe BMW is basically Honda, but in the US their brand image is very different. They are turning their US brand image from a luxurious, expensive, nice car; into an every-man's car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matski
Oh man this is becoming tedious.. Not the constant stream of new models from BMW, but the constant bitching from this forum.

Right now I'm ashamed to be a BMW enthuisiast, not because of the active tourer, but because it makes me part of a group that appears to be narrow minded, mis-informed, self centric people who don't seem to be able to get out a sentence without using the word 'diluted'!

Seriously, some of the posts in the past week just make me want to rip the legs off puppies.
I think people who have been enthusiastic supporters of a company for decades have a right to be a little upset when the brand they like which once had about 4 model lines to choose from now has more than double that, almost triple that, and is deviating from their sports-oriented history with stuff like this minivan and the bloated and pointless M6 grand coupe.

I dont see how we are narrow minded, misinformed, or self centric for disliking the fact that BMW has COMPLETELY changed their brand philosophy and the way their car brand is headed.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2013, 07:10 PM   #82
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535iGT x-drive; i3 BEV

In most of the rest of the world, the big German brands serve everyone from humble cabs and family cars to executive limos. It's not so much the brand as choosing a vehicle that meets your needs, both financial and capabilities. IOW, neither BMW, Audi, nor MB are looked at so much as super premium, exclusive choices, but as being companies that have a car for all users.

They all chose not to play with trying to match the Chevy, Ford, or Dodges here in the US, and offered their well optioned, premium versions of some of the run of the mill vehicles that tried to set them apart from our vehicles. The rest of the world realizes this, and accepts that BMW may have economy vehicles and super luxury ones, and they have choices - think GM from Chevy to Buick to Cadillac. They're just branching out in this market. If they want exclusivity, they put a big engine, maybe bigger wheels, and a full-up luxury interior but they tend to not flaunt it. The stock interior in Germany on many of the vehicles we get here is fabric, not leather, or vinyl (albeit nice vinyl), and certainly not the super high premium leather offered as standard on some models.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2013, 07:56 PM   #83
Matski
Captain
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4inAZ View Post
I think people who have been enthusiastic supporters of a company for decades have a right to be a little upset when the brand they like which once had about 4 model lines to choose from now has more than double that, almost triple that, and is deviating from their sports-oriented history with stuff like this minivan and the bloated and pointless M6 grand coupe.

I dont see how we are narrow minded, misinformed, or self centric for disliking the fact that BMW has COMPLETELY changed their brand philosophy and the way their car brand is headed.
To be fair to you, you've have at least managed to get that out without using the dreaded 'D*******' word, and if it wasn't so late, and I wasn't so damn tired, I would take the time to go back through some of the previous i3, and CAT, and 3GT threads from the past month or two, and quote some of the properly bone-headed nonsense people spew out. I can respect other peoples tastes, I've no problem with people disliking any of these vehicles, every vehicle is not for every man after all, but too many people who I would have assumed are relatively intelligent, worldly people are being so blinkered it's unbelievable..

I class myself as a proper BMW enthusiast, but in all honesty, to this day, I've never put my own money down on a brand new one, and I'm unlikely to (that's what company cars are for ), I'll admit this is for partially financial reasons (as a single guy, over here you save to buy a house, or you have disposable income, but not both) so, I will always happily run a much older BMW for fun, because to me cars like the E30, E28 and E24 are what BMW's should be like.. yet people flood in here claiming BMW has lost it's way and then whinge about fuckin' head lamp bulbs!! Serioulsy! I will never take anyone seriously that does that.

I wanted a BMW since I was 12 and I used to see an E24 every day... I was 22 before I managed to buy an old rusty one ('83 635CSi, Sapphire Blue Metallic with Pacific blue leather) for myself (insurance is a bitch at that age), my best motoring memories will always be those from my E28's, I really really love them, for me next will be either an E3, an '02 of some sort or perhaps another E24 (maybe even an E90 320Si, but I've not had a go in one)... and come company car time I'll have lots to choose from, and I WILL be considering the i3 and the 3GT, is it because I'm a hippy eco-nut or have 3 kids to drag around? No, it's because I don't mind change, or new things, I want to experience BMW's take on different markets and technologies etc.. and as it happens I don't mind the way they look. I like the past and the history of BMW, but that will always be there, and they will continue to write it with cool cars like they make now... the fact they are simply adding to the line-up is a factor of so many other things.... but I'm sure is as much born from necessity as anything else.

Maybe it's just the US market that irks me.. you only tend to get the premium models, yet I doubt it's cheaper to get to those levels in a BMW anywhere else in the world, the brand, and a consumers view of it are both on different levels compared to RoW.. I guess maybe Americans are as dumbfounded by Europeans seemingly welcoming nature to these new cars are we might be of your intolerance towards them. I don't know really, it's late.. I'm going to bed.

Appreciate 0
      07-11-2013, 11:14 PM   #84
Jblack4083
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 ///M3 JB/CB

This is interesting. It has similar power as a E46/E90 325i and returns 95 MPG and can even drive on electricity alone for small stints and has more space inside.

Winner.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2013, 12:17 AM   #85
Kayani_1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E92/E60

Who would have thought we will see the days of BMW minivan........hold on why am I LOL.......................
nickname"BAD 3",MHD E85 tune,RennArt catback non-resonated exhaust,VRSF Downpipes, VRSF 7"FMIC,VRSF stock side inlets,SSQV BOV,ECS CP,M-performance alcantara steering,retrofit M3 paddle shifters,Alpina B3 tranny flash,AFE power seal CAI,LED angels,ST Coilovers,M3 upper/lower control arms,E93 M3 Front Swaybar ,235/35/19x9 ,275/30/19x9.5. M sport bumpers, CF diffuser. When in doubt..flat out.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2013, 12:21 AM   #86
Imola.ZHP
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW i3 BEV EE

Am I the only one that thinks this interior bike storage is nonsense? Put a bike rack on top of the car like the rest of us.

- 2014 CPO i01 BEV Electronaut Edition Capparis White Tera World, '17-
- 2015 CPO i01 BEV Laurel Grey Tera World, '17-
- 2015 i01 REx Laurel Grey Tera World, '15-'17
- 2003 CPO 330i ZHP Imola Red Build 03/03/03, '06-'15
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2013, 05:27 AM   #87
Matski
Captain
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imola.ZHP View Post
Am I the only one that thinks this interior bike storage is nonsense? Put a bike rack on top of the car like the rest of us.
Two bikes and camping gear for two people for two weeks...

Why would you put it on the roof if you can put it in the boot?
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2013, 06:45 AM   #88
clbmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 320d M135i

The more profit BMW make the more likely they are to be able to justify the release of a super/hyper car.

Perhaps it will be a return of the phrase the ultimate driving machine?
Appreciate 0