F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > BMW drivers are jerks
GetBMWParts

08-13-2013, 02:48 PM   #45
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kong Sheng Han View Post
At the end of the day, I drive a BMW M3, and the real road ragers don't.

Think I'm an asshole because I wanted to get in the lane you're in and got in front of you? Well fuck you.
Think I'm an asshole for driving slightly faster than you? Well then fuck you.

I'm driving safer than most people on the road, and I'm an asshole? To try to make sure I don't look like an asshole to the driver of the car I'm about to get in front of when switching lanes, I'll keep my blinker on longer than usual to see if they'll give me room. That's as far as I'll go to try to look like a "good" driver. If you still think I'm an asshole, well fuck you then.
Finally ... nicely said.
      08-13-2013, 02:49 PM   #46
morningscifi
Null
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is

Article Text:

BMW drivers really are jerks, studies find
August 13, 2013, 10:56 AM

Drivers of BMWs frequently come in for anecdotal criticism for habits on the road that are perceived as aggressive.

Now, a couple of studies, one in the U.S. and another from the U.K., appear to provide statistical evidence that BMW drivers are, to be polite about it, complete jerks.

In the older study, by researchers at the University of California, BMW drivers were far less likely to stop for a pedestrian who had just entered a crosswalk, the New York Times notes. ”Fancy cars were less likely to stop,” researcher Paul K. Piff told the paper, adding, “BMW drivers were the worst.”

Drivers of BMWs and other high-status cars (including Prius hybrids) were also more likely to cheat at four-way-stop intersections, according to the research.

In the second study, in the U.K., motorists were asked to identify the make and color of the car from which they have most frequently suffered road-rage incidents, the Daily Mail reports.

The study found men between the ages of 35 and 50 driving blue BMWs were most likely to be reported as having engaged in road-rage behaviors such as aggressive driving and swearing.
2013 135is | Le Mans Blue | #542 / 586
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 02:53 PM   #47
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Some thoughts on that article.
  • I wonder which mass market car has the greatest quantity of jerk drivers? It wouldn't be the brand that sells most cars would it?
  • 4-Way Stop signs: That could well be a function of age. I'm nearly 55. When I learned to drive, we were taught to yield to the car on the right. It had nothing to do with who got there first. With my kids recently getting drivers licenses, I've noticed that DC's driver instruction materials now say it's FIFO. Inasmuch as most of the time, BMW and MB drivers will be older simply because in general, older people are more able to afford more expensive cars, I wonder if that might have something to do with the observations.
  • Fortunate youngsters who acquire a BMW are just like all other youngsters, for the most part, except that the ones who have BMWs have cars that they know are quite a lot faster than most entry level cars, which is what most young people will have. And most young folks are comparatively self-convinced (if not self-obsessed), in relation to other people, about the superior importance of whatever it is they thing important at that moment.
  • Wealthy and powerful people generally think their needs and goals are more important than those of others and often such folks have little or no compunction about throwing around their wealth and power to get what they want sooner or to get more of it than others do. Why else would being king have been such a deadly job in man's history? It's good to be king, but only if one is a good king.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 02:55 PM   #48
positiveions
Lieutenant General
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 19 Tacoma, 16 Golf wagon

Garage List
I say 'whaddeeveerrr"
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 03:00 PM   #49
DesertSmokeBBQ
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F30 335i M-Sport

Garage List
2013 BMW  [0.00]
Apparently we're jerks...

My feeling, when a pedestrian steps off the curb he's rolling the dice.... 😜

http://blogs.marketwatch.com/thetell...-studies-find/

Traded 9-1-13 '13 Estoril Blue II F30 - 328i - ZMM - ZPP -ZDY - ZTB - 403 - 465 - 494 - 4DX- LC (Black) - 6NL
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 03:03 PM   #50
rallybull
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i w/PPK

I'm flattered.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 03:10 PM   #51
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Many

I'm on the fence with this one. I've seen plenty who ARE jerks. Some of the comments floating around here don't help the cause either.

Most of the enthusiasts I know in real life are NOT. I think those who are a-holes tend to be those who simply own a BMW for status. They tend to be your typical elitist pricks who feel they are entitled to anything and everything they might desire.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 03:17 PM   #52
Metalbeast
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 2008 X5 4.8i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullrouted View Post
Hah, those Jalopnik comments are priceless. Especially enjoyed this video, which represents every Prius owner ever, whether they admit it or not:

I think if that woman were making a scene like that in front of my wife and kids I'd ask her if she really had to eat so much -- because clearly her fat disgusting ass doesn't need the food as much as the starving children in Somalia or wherever -- As for the answer to her 'do you really need to park here?' question? Because FYTW
man that dude in the video really took one, where are the balls!
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 03:20 PM   #53
The Cleaner
Thats all you need to know.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 , 2016 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward View Post
I think the feeling of superiority and smugness that a Prius driver (one who bought it for status and self promotion) gets while driving their car is far more severe than that felt by a guy driving a 6000lb SUV or truck or any super high performance car, let alone a common BMW.
I think most Prius owners are angry, They drive a car that is outperformed by nearly everything on the road, they paid top dollar, it's ugly as hell and for some reason they are convinced it's economical. Since these people have been duped and are stuck with a crapmobile I expect them to be upset.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 03:21 PM   #54
Presario
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i, 2016 435 GC

I'd say the drivers of oversized pickup trucks are the biggest jerks.
      08-13-2013, 03:21 PM   #55
davesaddiction
is fast cars
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 M3 6MT SSII BPM Stg II

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
When I learned to drive, we were taught to yield to the car on the right. It had nothing to do with who got there first.
Not trying to disrespect my elders (I'm 35)...

I hate to break this to you, but you were taught wrong.

Only if you arrive at the stop sign at the same time, do you yield to the car on the right.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 03:33 PM   #56
nullrouted
Studying...
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW '13 E92 ZCP 6MT M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
Some thoughts on that article.
  • I wonder which mass market car has the greatest quantity of jerk drivers? It wouldn't be the brand that sells most cars would it?
  • 4-Way Stop signs: That could well be a function of age. I'm nearly 55. When I learned to drive, we were taught to yield to the car on the right. It had nothing to do with who got there first. With my kids recently getting drivers licenses, I've noticed that DC's driver instruction materials now say it's FIFO. Inasmuch as most of the time, BMW and MB drivers will be older simply because in general, older people are more able to afford more expensive cars, I wonder if that might have something to do with the observations.
  • Fortunate youngsters who acquire a BMW are just like all other youngsters, for the most part, except that the ones who have BMWs have cars that they know are quite a lot faster than most entry level cars, which is what most young people will have. And most young folks are comparatively self-convinced (if not self-obsessed), in relation to other people, about the superior importance of whatever it is they thing important at that moment.
  • Wealthy and powerful people generally think their needs and goals are more important than those of others and often such folks have little or no compunction about throwing around their wealth and power to get what they want sooner or to get more of it than others do. Why else would being king have been such a deadly job in man's history? It's good to be king, but only if one is a good king.
  • Well -- for June 2013, in order of market share: #1 GM #2 Ford #3 Toyota, for what that's worth. BMW has only a tiny sliver of the US market, about 3%
  • You are correct about 4-way stops (assuming all cars arrive nearly at the same time), even in boating this is still true -- You always yield to the car/boat on your right. It does not surprise me that certain states are now teaching FIFO, just goes to show how poor US driver education is (and apparently it is getting worse). Driving in Germany was truly refreshing.
  • I have to agree with you on this point, when I had an almost-new 350z at 20 years old, I thought I owned the road and drove pretty recklessly. My son is too young to drive, but he won't be in anything with over 250hp when he does.
  • I've earned my status in life, worked full time through college, done very well for myself afterward. I'll be damned if I'm going to let some welfare queen living off of my taxes while contributing nothing to society get in my way on the road. I doubt I am alone in this sentiment, even if others don't express it.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 03:33 PM   #57
Dozhdbog
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kong Sheng Han View Post
At the end of the day, I drive a BMW M3, and the real road ragers don't.

Think I'm an asshole because I wanted to get in the lane you're in and got in front of you? Well fuck you.
Think I'm an asshole for driving slightly faster than you? Well then fuck you.

I'm driving safer than most people on the road, and I'm an asshole? To try to make sure I don't look like an asshole to the driver of the car I'm about to get in front of when switching lanes, I'll keep my blinker on longer than usual to see if they'll give me room. That's as far as I'll go to try to look like a "good" driver. If you still think I'm an asshole, well fuck you then.
Whether or not you drive like an asshole, I cannot ascertain, but you certainly sound like one.
      08-13-2013, 04:04 PM   #58
Bimmerfestool
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: .

I agree that BMW drivers are, in general and in average, more likely to be jerks. Probably has to do with the type of person most likely able to afford this car. Middle management. This has been my experience as a driver of other brands but it doesn't stop me from buying one now.

And when a pedestrian is on a crosswalk there is no question as to who should stop. The car in all cases. I thought everyone knew that...

I agree with the comment about pick-up truck drivers in the US. Especially those that are not in the construction field.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 04:10 PM   #59
turbolag
is nonexistent with N/A
Rep

Certain young 17-25 people with long hair, chains attached to their pants, and clearly visible underwear are the real asshats. Fucking douchecanoes keep keying our cars to look badass.

Why is hitting someone with a car considered manslaughter, but vandalising a 50k+ car (also known as vital body part) legal as long as one doesn't get caught?
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 04:15 PM   #60
Colt
Spoolin' & droolin'
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i 6MT

Quote:
What's the difference between a dog and a BMW?

Anybody?

On a dog, The d**k is on the outside!
There's a lot of false information in this comment.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 04:16 PM   #61
bjayfan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 F13 M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabadoo View Post
I've had my M3 for 2 weeks now and according to this article, I am all of a sudden a jerk:
In my experience I would say Prius drivers are the worst, they're either parked in the left lane and won't move or doing some stupid substantial speed.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 04:16 PM   #62
Quakered
First Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: was BMW 328 Tourer F31

The really shocking thing is surely considering BMWs as the same as the AWEFUL Toyota Pious
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 04:18 PM   #63
Bimmerfestool
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbolag View Post
Certain young 17-25 people with long hair, chains attached to their pants, and clearly visible underwear are the real asshats. Fucking douchecanoes keep keying our cars to look badass.

Why is hitting someone with a car considered manslaughter, but vandalising a 50k+ car (also known as vital body part) legal as long as one doesn't get caught?
Are you in Canada?
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 04:18 PM   #64
swamy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i MG/6MT

My friend in LA told me about her bad experiences being cut off by bimmers or threatened when walking & so wasn't fond at all of my car choice. But since I got my 328, cant count the # of times others, esp civic drivers have cut me off or tried to engage me in a race - of all places on 130! Needless to say only complete mororns & jerks irrespective of car driven doesn't stop for a pedestrian
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 04:23 PM   #65
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: X5 & 335xi

"The study found men between the ages of 35 and 50 driving blue BMWs were most likely to be reported as having engaged in road-rage behaviors such as aggressive driving and swearing."

WTF??????

That's me right there and I don't engage in road rage or swear. I do drive aggressively when I am in the mood

Deep Sea Blue Metallic 2013 X5 35d Sport
Prem, Convenience, Cold and Premium Sound packages
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 04:25 PM   #66
doublevanosrc
Loves his G20
Rep
Drives: 2020 330ix M sport

Garage List
2013 BMW  [0.00]
These studies are usually done by people who drive slow and hog up the left lane.

2020 330ix-Msport
Past-
2013 135i
2011 135i
Appreciate 0