F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > BMW drivers are jerks
Studio RSR

08-13-2013, 04:26 PM   #67
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: X5 & 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublevanosrc View Post
These studies are usually done by people who drive slow and hog up the left lane.
Bingo

Deep Sea Blue Metallic 2013 X5 35d Sport
Prem, Convenience, Cold and Premium Sound packages
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 04:37 PM   #68
pazzo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 X1 Glacier Silver

Slow moving pickup and SUVs in the left lane. Move over!

2017 F48 xDrive Glacier Silver
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 04:39 PM   #69
ToyotaBMW
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Whitetintedwindows

I think it is just German car owners as a bunch are a group of idiots.
Audi drivers win for the most cheaters and BMW drivers come a close second and MB owners come third.
I wonder if the Japanese auto manufacturers are funding these studies?

http://www.carscoops.com/2013/06/aud...-cheat-on.html
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 04:39 PM   #70
dinonz
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 MWM ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Presario View Post
I'd say the drivers of oversized pickup trucks are the biggest jerks.
I've noticed that too. Seem to think because they have a ton of power that they're a sports car. Forget that they can't turn or stop though lol

Prius drivers are bad too - if anyone is likely to race down the left lane then cut everyone off to get to the offramp, it's a Prius. Staggers me. Buy a pussy car and drive like a maniac in it. Go figure
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 04:42 PM   #71
ToyotaBMW
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Whitetintedwindows

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinonz View Post
I've noticed that too. Seem to think because they have a ton of power that they're a sports car. Forget that they can't turn or stop though lol

Prius drivers are bad too - if anyone is likely to race down the left lane then cut everyone off to get to the offramp, it's a Prius. Staggers me. Buy a pussy car and drive like a maniac in it. Go figure
Really the Prius drivers here in Canada drive like grandma's just like the damn shitty crap ass Corolla drivers who take the cake for the worst drivers.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 04:43 PM   #72
dinonz
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 MWM ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaBMW View Post
Really the Prius drivers here in Canada drive like grandma's just like the damn shitty crap ass Corolla drivers who take the cake for the worst drivers.
Not here - you see them ducking and weaving in and out of traffic like they're in an F1 race and we're all back-markers
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 04:52 PM   #73
The Cleaner
Thats all you need to know.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 , 2016 X5

I'll take this stereotype over the one the Porsche guys have .
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 05:04 PM   #74
Presario
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i, 2016 435 GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cleaner View Post
I'll take this stereotype over the one the Porsche guys have .
      08-13-2013, 05:15 PM   #75
Kabrich
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 AH3 (335IH) 3F93 MSport

Considering the USA research was done in California (and we all know that California is a mirror of how the other 49 states look and act) and according to the other study, Vauxhalls are #5 behind BMW (yes, it was done in the UK online by an online coupon site, ROFLMAO, and I cannot tell you how many times I have been cut off by a Vauxhall!), I really do not take either to be representative of any place other than where the studies were conducted, and not very scientific at that.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 05:37 PM   #76
bimmerjph
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerfestool
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbolag View Post
Certain young 17-25 people with long hair, chains attached to their pants, and clearly visible underwear are the real asshats. Fucking douchecanoes keep keying our cars to look badass.

Why is hitting someone with a car considered manslaughter, but vandalising a 50k+ car (also known as vital body part) legal as long as one doesn't get caught?
Are you in Canada?
Or the 1970's?

[video]
[/video]
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 05:41 PM   #77
canukgtp
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

I always drive extra nice and careful in my M because there are only like 4 white M3's in town and I'm afraid if I drive like an ass they'll hunt me down hahaha...when I'm in the Silverado, watch out! lol...
2011 E90 335xi (lease up)
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 05:43 PM   #78
swamy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i MG/6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabrich View Post
Considering the USA research was done in California (and we all know that California is a mirror of how the other 49 states look and act) and according to the other study, Vauxhalls are #5 behind BMW (yes, it was done in the UK online by an online coupon site, ROFLMAO, and I cannot tell you how many times I have been cut off by a Vauxhall!), I really do not take either to be representative of any place other than where the studies were conducted, and not very scientific at that.
Orr Bimmer drivers were the only ones to figure out they were subjects of a mere study they didn't consent to being in anyway!what a waste
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 05:44 PM   #79
doublevanosrc
Loves his G20
Rep
Drives: 2020 330ix M sport

Garage List
2013 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pazzo View Post
Slow moving pickup and SUVs in the left lane. Move over!
Oh yeah that's all you see here however here in Austin these damn hybrids are starting to take the cake. Prius and Prius C drivers love hogging up the left lane and holding up traffic like it's gonna save the earth or something. Then you pass them and they give you a crazy look like you're doing something wrong. Of course all this happens on a highway that has plenty of signs that read "Left lane is for passing only".

2020 330ix-Msport
Past-
2013 135i
2011 135i
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 05:52 PM   #80
gnosis8
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F30 335i

Garage List
My definition of a jerk is the guy who's driving 10 mph below the speed limit in the left lane. They are often driving a fuel efficient 4-cylinder car. They brake on hill descents to maintain their stalling speed. Then when they've heard enough of your horn and their pupils are constricted enough from all your high-beaming, they finally put on their signal and get back into the right lane. As you redline it past them you notice that they've just now increased their speed to a reasonable 15 mph above the speed limit.
      08-13-2013, 05:52 PM   #81
NemesisX
Captain
Rep
Drives: '19 Infiniti Q60S

Already posted an article about this:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=865794
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 05:55 PM   #82
Edward
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013.9999 E92 Jerez ZCP

F*ckin prius. This thread is so fun because after several hours I can come back and slam the prius and people unanimously nod their heads and internet high five me.

fookin prius

things I hate:

having to do laundry
prius
stubbing my toe
when they run out of chicken at chipotle

goddamnit prius.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 06:25 PM   #83
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

You were more tolerant of that b*tch I would have been. Kudos to you.

I'm not proud to say so, but I would have gotten out of my car and removed my sport coat, walked her to a more distant/secluded part of the lot and said:
OK, now that we are here on equal terms and away from my wife and childern's earshot, what do you want to say to me? And before you start saying it, just remember you got ghetto with me first, steppin' to me and my family with your self important attitude, loud voice, smug tone and foul language in front of my kid. I'm willing to discuss this civilly with you while my child is napping, but I can get ghetto too if that's where you want to take this. Now speak.
I try always to be a gentleman, but I won't be bullied by b*tch or bastard upset because life's dealt them a sh*tty hand and to whom I seem like a good target on which to vent. I don't back down when that happens.

I can't say I don't agree with "b*tch's" general sentiment regarding trucks and SUVs used when other vehicles will suffice. But then I don't think assailing individuals in their truck/SUV is the right way to go about effecting cultural change either. WTH do I know about why they were using that vehicle at that particular time? I've certainly been the only person in my SUV on the way to pick up something I didn't want, or wouldn't fit, in one of my other vehicles.

And for all that woman's carryin' on, why the hell couldn't she just drive to a different spot? That would have been far more "tree hugging" with her Prius than for you to do so with your truck.

FWIW, this sort of stuff doesn't really happen here in DC. (It might in the DC burbs; I don't know.) You are far too likely to get shot or arrested pullin' crap like that here. Indeed, if that'd happened here at the grocery store or similar venue, I'd have called 911 telling of being assaulted by a fat woman with using an white ink pen with a red end on it as a weapon and driving a Prius having license plate XYZ, and let her deal with the cops when they find her if she'd left before they got there. Hopefully, they would get there before she left and I would be seen defensively postured as she waved that pen in the air at me. That would likely have been enough to ruin quite a few of her days and stop her from showing her ass in public like that for many a day into the future. That approach may seem whimpy, but that she had an event in her past where she was accused of assault would stay on her record, regardless of the disposition of the arrest. And that is most definitely not what she wanted as the outcome of her actions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullrouted View Post
Hah, those Jalopnik comments are priceless. Especially enjoyed this video, which represents every Prius owner ever, whether they admit it or not:

I think if that woman were making a scene like that in front of my wife and kids I'd ask her if she really had to eat so much -- because clearly her fat disgusting ass doesn't need the food as much as the starving children in Somalia or wherever -- As for the answer to her 'do you really need to park here?' question? Because FYTW

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 06:34 PM   #84
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by davesaddiction View Post
Not trying to disrespect my elders (I'm 35)...

I hate to break this to you, but you were taught wrong.

Only if you arrive at the stop sign at the same time, do you yield to the car on the right.
WTH? I was taught what they taught and published in the driver education guides. You can say it's a good guideline or a bad one, or anything else -- I don't care in that regard -- but the fact remains that's what the rule was at the time.

They also taught us that if a state police car, volunteer fire truck, city ambulance and USPS mail carrier all arrived at an intersection with utterly urgent business, the fact of the matter is that the mail truck has legal priority, but as a practical matter it'd be the rare mail carrier who exercised that authority in that situation and it'd be the rare emergency vehicle that would actually stop for the mail carrier. I don't know if any laws have come about to alter those facts, but that's what we were taught.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 06:50 PM   #85
Teemo Panda
*Bimmerpost Plasti Dip Guru*
United_States
Rep
Drives: E53, E46-M3, E70, F25-X3

Garage List
2013 BMW X3  [5.66]
Unhappy BMW drivers really are jerks, studies find ~By Yahoo~

They are saying prius drivers are better behaved than BMW Drivers, This just makes me cry

Quote:

http://autos.yahoo.com/news/bmw-driv...214456020.html

Drivers of BMWs frequently come in for anecdotal criticism for habits on the road that are perceived as aggressive.

Now, a couple of studies, one in the U.S. and another from the U.K., appear to provide statistical evidence that BMW drivers are, to be polite about it, complete jerks.

In the older study, by researchers at the University of California, BMW drivers were far less likely to stop for a pedestrian who had just entered a crosswalk, the New York Times notes.

“In our crosswalk study, none of the cars in the beater-car category drove through the crosswalk. They always stopped for pedestrians," researcher Paul K. Piff told the paper. He added that not only were "fancy cars were less likely to stop," but also that "BMW drivers were the worst."

Drivers of BMWs and other high-status cars (including Prius hybrids) were also more likely to cheat at four-way-stop intersections, according to the research.

In the second study, in the U.K., motorists were asked to identify the make and color of the car from which they have most frequently suffered road-rage incidents, the Daily Mail reports.

The study of 2,837 motorists found men between the ages of 35 and 50 driving blue BMWs were most likely to be reported as having engaged in road-rage behaviors such as aggressive driving and swearing.
Quote:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...age-wheel.html

Men who drive blue BMWs are more likely to be aggressive than motorists in any other car, a study claims.
And the peak time for drivers to get angry is 5.45pm on a Friday as they fight the rush-hour – followed by the dismal Monday morning commute.
The likeliest road rage culprits are men aged 35-50 with blue BMW cars, the study of 2,837 motorists found. Drivers also reported run-ins with owners of Land Rovers, Audis, Subarus and Vauxhalls.

Blue was seen as the most aggressive colour, followed by black, silver, green and red.
Men said they lost their temper behind the wheel seven times a month on average, while women got angry on only three occasions.

Drivers most often expressed road rage by shouting and swearing, followed by erratic driving and obscene gestures, the study for discount website VoucherCodesPro revealed.
The poll also found, unsurprisingly, that Monday morning and Friday evening proved to be the most stressful times, when motorists are queuing to get to and from work.

Motorists were asked the pick the make and colour of car from which they have experienced the most incidents of road rage - and blue BMWs came out on top.
George Charles of VoucherCodesPro said: ‘During peak periods of traffic, whether it be the Monday morning school run or the hectic rush hour on a Friday evening, it is all too easy to allow the common manifestations of road rage to get the better of us as motorists.
‘This research, although slightly humorous in some of its findings, does indicate an important point.
‘Road rage is not something to be taken lightly and these results show that many motorists need to remind themselves that sometimes losing your temper whilst driving can result in serious altercations, assaults, and collisions that cause injuries or worse.
Quote:
http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2013...suggests/?_r=1

Jokes about BMW drivers being, on average, somewhat less than courteous are fairly common. They often run along the lines of, “Despite its good brakes, a BMW will usually stop with a jerk.” Sometimes the language is more colorful.

Now scientific research supports the unwritten and broadly circulated theory that people in BMWs are lacking in road manners. Paul K. Piff, a researcher at the Institute of Personality and Social Research at the University of California, Berkeley, has conducted a study linking bad driving habits with wealth.

The traffic study, part of a larger body of research relating behavior and wealth, pitted pedestrians against passing motorists. It was published in The Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences in 2012.

In California, where the study was conducted, state law requires motorists to stop at crosswalks when pedestrians are present, allowing them to cross the road. Mr. Piff said his team selected a specific crosswalk to observe, then had a pedestrian appear on the edge of the curb as a car approached. As the pedestrian stepped into the road, a researcher marked down the driver’s reaction to the pedestrian. This was done with 152 drivers.

The team also watched a four-way-stop intersection over a week, noting how likely drivers were to cut in front of others when it was not their turn to go. In their observation of 274 cars, the researchers found that the more expensive ones were more likely to jump their turns in the four-way rotation, Mr. Piff said.

In addition to describing drivers’ behavior in both locations, the researcher was to indicate the sex and age of each driver as well as the age and appearance of the cars, with a “1” signifying beat-up, low-value cars and a “5” given to top-of-the-line models from the likes of BMW and Mercedes-Benz.

Mr. Piff said about eight of every 10 cars “did the right thing.”

“But you see this huge boost in a driver’s likelihood to commit infractions in more expensive cars,” he said. “In our crosswalk study, none of the cars in the beater-car category drove through the crosswalk. They always stopped for pedestrians.”

The study also found that male drivers were less likely to stop for pedestrians than were women, and that drivers of both sexes were more likely to stop for a female pedestrian than a male one.

“One of the most significant trends was that fancy cars were less likely to stop,” said Mr. Piff, adding, “BMW drivers were the worst.”

In the San Francisco Bay Area, where the hybrid gas-and-electric-powered Toyota Prius is considered a status symbol among the environmentally conscious, the researchers classified it as a premium model.

“In our higher-status vehicle category, Prius drivers had a higher tendency to commit infractions than most,” Mr. Piff said.

Last edited by Teemo Panda; 08-13-2013 at 07:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 06:54 PM   #86
SwissArmy
Why so serious?
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4; BMW X5; BMW 733

Not all BMW drivers are jerks. But all jerks are BMW drivers
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 06:56 PM   #87
snowghost
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i M-Sport 6MT

Pffft....
      08-13-2013, 07:07 PM   #88
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Many

So how many threads will there be about this?
Appreciate 0