F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > Winter Wheels - all season or winter tyres in mild winters?
ARMA SPEED

11-27-2023, 10:44 AM   #23
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
Tx for the knowledge. So, what's the difference between A/Ss and A/Ws in a nutshell? Are A/Ss better than A/Ws in certain aspects?

I assume for winter it's winter tires>>A/W>>A/S?

Exactly, ppl get hung up on the physical weather conditions but that 7C threshold is key, e.g. it could be clear roads but if it's -11C, having summers may get one into trouble.
Yes all weather are much better in the winter/snow than all seasons. The thread compound is actually designed to face cold weather and be under 7c. Of course winter dedicated tires will still be king but I'd consider all weather if I never wanted to swap my tires for example and keep them year round. All seasons I just don't see the point, I guess it's if you want a generic tire that you won't face snow/winter, you'd get all seasons.
Appreciate 1
      11-27-2023, 11:41 AM   #24
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
Yes all weather are much better in the winter/snow than all seasons. The thread compound is actually designed to face cold weather and be under 7c. Of course winter dedicated tires will still be king but I'd consider all weather if I never wanted to swap my tires for example and keep them year round. All seasons I just don't see the point, I guess it's if you want a generic tire that you won't face snow/winter, you'd get all seasons.
Tx. I'm still kinda confused about the purpose of A/Ws...so it's for ppl who don't wanna change tires but it's more suitable for winter conditions vs A/Ss? Does that mean A/Ss are better than them in summer?
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2023, 11:58 AM   #25
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Tx. I'm still kinda confused about the purpose of A/Ws...so it's for ppl who don't wanna change tires but it's more suitable for winter conditions vs A/Ss? Does that mean A/Ss are better than them in summer?
Yeah it's pretty confusing lol. The way I see it, all seasons should be replaced by all weather but I guess all seasons are cheaper so if you live somewhere with no winter, no point in getting all weather. And as all things in life, you have pros and cons, I would say the regular all seasons will have a slight edge in summer conditions but I don't have experience with it, just from what I read online. And the all weathers, you can actually use them in the winter where law requires winter tires (three peak snow icon).
Appreciate 1
      11-27-2023, 12:05 PM   #26
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
Yeah it's pretty confusing lol. The way I see it, all seasons should be replaced by all weather but I guess all seasons are cheaper so if you live somewhere with no winter, no point in getting all weather. And as all things in life, you have pros and cons, I would say the regular all seasons will have a slight edge in summer conditions but I don't have experience with it, just from what I read online. And the all weathers, you can actually use them in the winter where law requires winter tires (three peak snow icon).
Tx again. I guess for ppl like me who switch tires, it's still better to have dedicated summers and winters. However, if/when the day comes that I can no longer physically change my tires, I guess A/Ws will be there for me.
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2023, 12:09 PM   #27
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Tx again. I guess for ppl like me who switch tires, it's still better to have dedicated summers and winters. However, if/when the day comes that I can no longer physically change my tires, I guess A/Ws will be there for me.
Yeah and also if you have a sporty car for example, always going for dedicated summer tires is the best since you want the best handling and all that.

If I had a regular commuter car I might actually consider these all weathers and try them out in our winters.
Appreciate 1
      12-07-2023, 04:26 PM   #28
malcesine
Rep
Drives: BMW 520i

Thanks for all the input fellow bimmers
Michelin Cross Climate 2 fitted all round - will report back on experience
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2023, 12:18 PM   #29
malcesine
Rep
Drives: BMW 520i

The Michelin cross climate 2 now fitted all round.
Will report back on experience when weather worsens in Scotland.
Appreciate 1
DanG10662.00
      12-19-2023, 05:19 PM   #30
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcesine View Post
The Michelin cross climate 2 now fitted all round.
Will report back on experience when weather worsens in Scotland.
That is the tire I am running on my wife’s Mazda CX-5.
      12-30-2023, 07:52 AM   #31
geko29
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 6MT

Quote:
Perhaps the easiest way to think of A/W tire is they're an evolution of winter tires that gives up a little ultimate cold and snow performance in return for not being complete shit in the summer.

Yes A/S tires are better in the summer.

Appreciate 0