F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > DASH Design
proTUNING Freaks

03-13-2012, 07:47 PM   #1
CWK
Rep
Drives: Porsche 911

DASH Design

Has everyone lost thier marbles?? this move from a beautiful flowing and wholly integrated dash to one that has a TV sitting in the middle of the dash is ridiculous. I took a 6 for a test drive. When I got in the car I told the sales rep he could "drop the screen." Thats when I was first told that the stupid screen sitting like a wart on the dash and in plain view would not retract.

What a great car. But what a stupid idea not to have that silly screen retract. Now they are doing the same thing to the X5 and others in their line up. Its gross. I thought the new ML's interior sucked because of all the brightwork. But at least they dont put a big lump of coal in the middle of the dash that i have to stare at.

When are these guys going to get this message. At the Tor car show the sales guys told me EVERYONE is complaining about the botched 6 and 3 series dashboards.

Look You dont watch that silly screen when youre going 120mph. What is this gadgetry fascination? If BMW is not careful they will blow it like Mercedes has already in many ways. Anyway, I cant stand the pandering the those who lack the good taste to recognize that the reduction of distracting paraphernalia IS the goal of good performance design. Tell anyone u know at BMW that clutter is NOT attractive.

So I guess its a range rover to get the groceries. And yes i passed on the 6 too. Then someone at the show said they are getting so much flack on this issue specifically that BMW is rethinking this dumb styling fubar.

I will order an X5 and a 6 as soon as they make those screens retract.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2012, 08:00 PM   #2
CWK
Rep

and by the way

I have the same issue with Porshe. I order the sport chrono pkg but it puts that silly stopwatch in the meddle of the dash.

When was the last time you heard your instructor at the track say "hey, just take a second here and get your stop watch all set so you can watch the clock while we max out on the track."

You have NEVER heard this because it exactly what we teach people NOT to do. more stupidity. And its plan distracting and ugly. But BMW has won the ugly/dumb prize with it s silly TV-on-dash treatment in the new 6 and now what appears to be the rest of the lineup. The 5 is a nice exception to this trend and its the reason Im considering the 5 instead of the 6.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2012, 02:53 AM   #3
Blue Bottle
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 x Drive 2.0L D

They do look silly as well, must be so simple to design them into the dash where they are meant to be
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2012, 03:47 AM   #4
Whorning
Major
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: AW E90 335i

Garage List
Exactly my thoughts... I really like the way they integrated the nav screen to the dash in the e90. The new f30 screen is atrocious with that kind of positioning. It just looks like a clumsy design job by BMW.

LCI Rear Conversion | Custom BBS CH l Karbonwerke CF CSL Trunk l Duke Dynamics Performance Diffuser | LTBMW Custom Molded Lip | ST Coilovers | JB3 PnP
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2012, 07:37 AM   #5
Blue Bottle
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Agree makes a quality car look cheep i think
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2012, 07:38 AM   #6
Blue Bottle
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

and when will BMW move away from dials to digital displays on the dash..........
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2012, 09:12 AM   #7
mshanno1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

I like the design of the new Nav screen, however I haven't seen one in person yet
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2012, 09:28 AM   #8
Blue Bottle
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Screen is ok, position is bad..
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2012, 10:01 AM   #9
jtuds
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335rwd Dinan S2

I drove the new 3 for an hour and had no problem with the screen being there. I spend a lot of time in a Lexus and they do the same thing. The Lexus IS has the screen set lower, which atually tekks your eyes off the road longer, but the screen is worked into the center stack as opposed to sticking out on its own.

I drove a 2012 c350 for an hour or so and they have also changed the nav screen so it's no longer retractable. One magazine review I read even said they preferred that Merc has gone to a non-retractable screen.

Obviously, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I am indifferent about the BMW screen. As part of the overall interior, I think the new 3 is an improvement over the outgoing vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2012, 02:23 PM   #10
Jamie430
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: honda

The new f30 screen is atrocious with that kind of positioning. It just looks like a clumsy design job by BMW.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2012, 03:57 PM   #11
az34
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 z4sdrive35i 2008 x5 3.0i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWK View Post
I have the same issue with Porshe. I order the sport chrono pkg but it puts that silly stopwatch in the meddle of the dash.

When was the last time you heard your instructor at the track say "hey, just take a second here and get your stop watch all set so you can watch the clock while we max out on the track."

You have NEVER heard this because it exactly what we teach people NOT to do. more stupidity. And its plan distracting and ugly. But BMW has won the ugly/dumb prize with it s silly TV-on-dash treatment in the new 6 and now what appears to be the rest of the lineup. The 5 is a nice exception to this trend and its the reason Im considering the 5 instead of the 6.
you are so right whit the 911 stopwatch, it looks ridiculous.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2012, 04:17 PM   #12
rfx45
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E89

Garage List
2012 BMW Z4  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWK View Post
IIRC you can buy a Porsche w/o Sport Chrono and buy it separately, have the software installed by the dealership with the button and you won't have the stopwatch on the dash.
      03-18-2012, 10:57 AM   #13
CWK
Rep

Hey thanks everyone for your comments. First, I will take your advice on the new 911, Im buying a new c2s and no one has ever taken the time to give me a straight answer although ive also never ordered a car from porsche - i usually just bought what was on the dealer's floor (too impatient).

My point about these dumb design decisions is that 1) MOST people cant stand them and more importantly 2) car designers could satisfy everyone by making the devices retractable.

I dont know anyone that thinks the 6's stunning interior is enhanced by the stupid screen. You're not supposed to be looking at the stupid thing as it is. Everything you need to when you are driving is directly in front of you. I was at the dealership again this morning whimpering over the fact that I just cant tolerate the immature design decisions that simply disgust me. Its not like wired tail lights - you have to stare at this part of the car for the next 3 years. I cant do it. I'll bet all of you this dumb pandering to the skater-boy-tuner constituency will lead to a real deterioration of BMWs key market and brand integrity.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2012, 11:04 AM   #14
CWK
Rep

Oh yeah, and here are my thoughts on car journalists: they are the LAST people you should ever listen to when buying a car: their criteria are not a car owner's criteria. They want to get in a car they get for free for a day and they want everything to be easy to deal with right off the bat. They are also rarely in a position financially to ever really contemplate buying ANY of the cars they review. And they are usually young skater boy tuner types. So what does this mean? What the hell do people like this know about living with $125k GT (ie a 6 series). I cant tell you the number of times Ive read reviews on cars i was driving every day only to disagree with practically every dumb thing they say. So often they view cars like F430s, 911s, M3s, m5s, m6s and the upper end MERCs through the lenses they use to review jacked up Nissans.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2012, 11:06 AM   #15
CWK
Rep

how does one get this message through to BMW??
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2012, 11:40 AM   #16
CWK
Rep

re read a couple more comments... The comments related to screen quality absolutely floor me. Why does the quality of a screen that tells you what song is paying have ANY relevance to a discussion about one of the overall best driver's cars in the world?? DOnt any one get me wrong: I love BMW. Porsche and MErc too. What angers and frustrates me is watching these companies completely forget and then disavow their core brand values. Look inside the new 911 - GROSS!!! THe cabin is getting crowded (as they raise that stupid center console - something we rip out immediately in race cars) and kitchy - see all the new brightwork. Ugh.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2012, 11:45 AM   #17
CWK
Rep

Im buying a BMW for sure. First is the x5. Love the interior. now I just have to decide between the 6 and the 5.
Appreciate 0