F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > When is BMW going to come out with their Halo car?
GetBMWParts

12-15-2011, 12:51 PM   #45
xsilvor
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerjph View Post
Ok as far as super cars go its design is very boring. AWD isn't anywhere near 1/2 the fun RWD can be. Are you seriously going say that you would rather have an R8 over a 458 Italia, DBS, 911 GT3, 911 GT2, or MP4-12C?
I would take the R8 over the GT3. I'd take all the others over the R8.

That does not make the R8 a boring car, as they are all exciting vehicles, and they are designed for different drivers. If I wanted to drive my car more than once a week, I would not buy a GT2, for example. Not to mention, with the exception of the GT3, those cars are all pricier than an R8, V10 or not.
2008 E92 M3 DCT (RIP) - Jet Black.Black.Carbon
Dinan, Wheels & Accessories for Sale
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 12:53 PM   #46
VaclavSV
Rep
Drives: 2012 C63 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
Anyway, finally back on topic. Well, the i8 is supposedly featured in the latest MI movie, should be interesting.
+1 I want to see how they make the car out in the movie. It definitely looks cool, but like mentioned the performance figures suck! BMW in general needs to start putting more power into their cars. The V10 M5 was a beast! Not a super car though....
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 04:49 PM   #47
bimmerjph
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsilvor View Post
I would take the R8 over the GT3. I'd take all the others over the R8.

That does not make the R8 a boring car, as they are all exciting vehicles, and they are designed for different drivers. If I wanted to drive my car more than once a week, I would not buy a GT2, for example. Not to mention, with the exception of the GT3, those cars are all pricier than an R8, V10 or not.
I didn't mean the R8 was boring compared to the average car, that would be stupid it has a V10. But compared to other super cars it is extremely boring in every way (except for the V10).
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 04:55 PM   #48
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerjph View Post
I didn't mean the R8 was boring compared to the average car, that would be stupid it has a V10. But compared to other super cars it is extremely boring in every way (except for the V10).
Just curious, have you driven a V8 R8? Manual or single clutch?
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 07:40 PM   #49
bimmerjph
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Just curious, have you driven a V8 R8? Manual or single clutch?
Have you driven all of its competitors?
I admit I haven't driven one, but I have been in a 5.2 manual on a track day. Once the novelty of being in a supercar wore off it wasn't as exciting as the 430 I had just been in was. The Audi would win in all the objective categories against the F430 (it felt a hell of a lot faster), it looses in the subjective categories. It didn't feel like we were on the edge and about to kill our selves like the Ferrari did, and when we did reach the edge in the Audi we just kind of went wide. The Audi is a great car Im not trying to say it isn't its just not as exciting as its RWD competitors.

Last edited by bimmerjph; 12-15-2011 at 07:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 09:02 AM   #50
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

I wouldn't think of an F430/458 as competitors to the R8, with either engine. They're double the cost and a lot more likely to be weekend only cars.

The beauty of the R8 (I've driven a V8 manual and just been around the block in a V10 with the stupid flappy paddles) is that it's meant to be a daily driver and not as much of a hooligan as the weekend only cars. The most direct comparable cars are the non GT 911's and the Maserati and compared to those, the R8 is pretty strong, if not the strongest. Of course, ignoring the price difference, it even compares fairly well to a 599 GTB.

I just think you're comparing things that aren't really directly comparable. If I were shopping for an F458, I wouldn't consider an R8 for a second, and the reverse is true too.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 09:14 AM   #51
IMG
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 Track car,Ess E90 M3 DD

Quote:
I wouldn't think of an F430/458 as competitors to the R8, with either engine. They're double the cost and a lot more likely to be weekend only cars.

The beauty of the R8 (I've driven a V8 manual and just been around the block in a V10 with the stupid flappy paddles) is that it's meant to be a daily driver and not as much of a hooligan as the weekend only cars. The most direct comparable cars are the non GT 911's and the Maserati and compared to those, the R8 is pretty strong, if not the strongest. Of course, ignoring the price difference, it even compares fairly well to a 599 GTB.

I just think you're comparing things that aren't really directly comparable. If I were shopping for an F458, I wouldn't consider an R8 for a second, and the reverse is true too.
I disagree. I have a friend who has an R8 and while its a great car, the 911 4S is still a stronger car, we both found that to be true. Strongest in that group as it just has so much more feel and precision its just a lot more fun to drive daily or on the track because of the many attibutes it holds over the r8.
The 991 4S is going to be something else as the 991 is likely the best all around car in the world.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 09:35 AM   #52
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by img View Post
I disagree. I have a friend who has an R8 and while its a great car, the 911 4S is still a stronger car, we both found that to be true. Strongest in that group as it just has so much more feel and precision its just a lot more fun to drive daily or on the track because of the many attibutes it holds over the r8.
The 991 4S is going to be something else as the 991 is likely the best all around car in the world.
Which is why I said it's pretty strong, if not the strongest. I'd take a 997 over one, and I'm sure a 991 too. But I don't see the R8 or a non GT 911 being comparable to the rwd weekend cars previously mentioned.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 09:42 AM   #53
IMG
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 Track car,Ess E90 M3 DD

Quote:
Which is why I said it's pretty strong, if not the strongest. I'd take a 997 over one, and I'm sure a 991 too. But I don't see the R8 or a non GT 911 being comparable to the rwd weekend cars previously mentioned.
You dont get more fun than a GT3 for a rwd car so its tough to compare, but the non GT 911s are still giving you 90% of what you get from a GT3 or any other rwd weekend car. The RWD 911s will be comparable...
Anytime you get AWD youre going to get a bit more civility so to speak.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 11:48 PM   #54
Cdnrockies
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW's

LOL at the R8 vs. Porsche/Supercar discussion!

Thread topic is "will BMW come out with a halo car"....simple answer is no....because there isn't enough profit in it.

BMW makes very good cars in a variety of segments that makes them bucket loads of cash. They never have had a halo car and they don't think they need one.

There isn't a car in Porsche's line up that BMW can compete with. The competion has become much more competitive with Audi and Mercedes...and...gasp...even Lexus.

The "performance" cars from Audi have always been just a step behind. The AMG cars target a different audience than the M cars. Lexus has taken the M3 on directly as their first entry. The LF A "halo car" was necessary for Lexus to gain some credibility in the performance arena as the rest of the Lexus line up is completely lame from a performance aspect.

There is nothing at the top end of BMW that even sniffs a V10 R8, SLS/SLR or LF A. I'd be completely shocked if there is anything within the next 5 years.
Appreciate 0