F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > Why does BMW force turbos on us?
Studio RSR

02-12-2012, 12:24 PM   #89
gunnerxq
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 "325i"

Quote:
Originally Posted by RnmEvo9 View Post
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that is at the crank, not at the wheels.

Try this on for size (I am number 4037):

Attachment 643796

I spent $1800 total (I could've spent less if I wanted to) for 3 mods done to the car and got those times at the drag strip whereas when I was stock I did 13.6@102mph. Try doing that naturally aspirated in your BMW motor.
Easy just bore out the engine.
Koni special active red, eibach pro-kit springs, Remus exhaust, stage 3 intake manifold,Stage 2 AA tune, BMW Short shift kit. Silicon intake pipe. M3 control arms front, M3 rear. ECS trailing arm with whiteline bushings. Purple powerflex subframe bushings. Yellow power flex upper shock mounts. Single mass flywheel OE weight.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 12:27 PM   #90
RnmEvo9
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnerxq View Post
Easy just bore out the engine.
If its so easy, why don't you step up to the plate?
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 01:16 PM   #91
gunnerxq
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 "325i"

Quote:
If its so easy, why don't you step up to the plate?
I don't have the tools.
Koni special active red, eibach pro-kit springs, Remus exhaust, stage 3 intake manifold,Stage 2 AA tune, BMW Short shift kit. Silicon intake pipe. M3 control arms front, M3 rear. ECS trailing arm with whiteline bushings. Purple powerflex subframe bushings. Yellow power flex upper shock mounts. Single mass flywheel OE weight.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 05:17 PM   #92
3PedalMINI
Saving The Manuals!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Manual 18 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Perhaps you should've done more research on the turbo kit that you purchased for your Mini. Turbo size is just one aspect that can affect lag, and it seems you chose the wrong size for your needs. My n54 powered 135i has virtually no lag whatsoever compared to my previous turbo car (Evo 9). It offers a far more useful powerband for daily driving compared to the gutless NA engines that BMW offers today.
huh? i think you miss understood my post. Mini Cooper S's are stock turbo'ed from the factory. Standard minis are 120hp and S's are 181hp. 01-06 R53 S's were stock supercharged from the factory. When the R56's came out in 07 they are all now turboed.

BMW owns MINI and the new 1 series thats coming out is using a shared chasis with the new 2014 minis coming out, there is also a pretty strong rumor they will be sharing the same engines too

M235i 5/1/2015 ED July 8th @ 4:40pm with PCD Delivery September 9th Gone July 2nd 2018
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 05:49 PM   #93
RnmEvo9
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3PedalMINI View Post
huh? i think you miss understood my post. Mini Cooper S's are stock turbo'ed from the factory. Standard minis are 120hp and S's are 181hp. 01-06 R53 S's were stock supercharged from the factory. When the R56's came out in 07 they are all now turboed.

BMW owns MINI and the new 1 series thats coming out is using a shared chasis with the new 2014 minis coming out, there is also a pretty strong rumor they will be sharing the same engines too
My apologizes then, as I thought you meant you had a supercharged Mini and converted it to turbo.

I think you should just test drive a 135i or 335i and see for yourself that they aren't laggy whatsoever.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 09:56 PM   #94
3PedalMINI
Saving The Manuals!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
My apologizes then, as I thought you meant you had a supercharged Mini and converted it to turbo.

I think you should just test drive a 135i or 335i and see for yourself that they aren't laggy whatsoever.
its all good man. I had an 06 mini and now i have the 11 clubman. I know its a completely different engine and turbo. I havent had a chance to go drive the f30 yet, my local bimmer dealer has quite a few in. I am patiently waiting for the coupe to release because ill be one of the first guys in there putting a deposit on one.

I imagine its a totally different feel. There is only so much engine/turbo BMW can fit in the mini

M235i 5/1/2015 ED July 8th @ 4:40pm with PCD Delivery September 9th Gone July 2nd 2018
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2012, 09:02 AM   #95
Q4P
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Much

This thread is exactly why this website (as much as I love it) has kind of taken a downward spiral...

Something to think about... for people that are concerned with performance in every day driving; BMW only offers 4 NA motors in the modern era that would satisfy... The S54, S62, S65 and S85. All are M engines...(all cost a lot). The first one is somewhat torqueless by modern standards and not the best for every day driving, the other 3 burn a whole lot of gas and need to be revved like crazy to make power as well. I'll let you take a guess as to what the absolute best solution was for all non-M cars which by modern day standards were starting to be a little bit slow... bcuz of that the M motors were turbod as well so as not cannibalize that lineup. Bmw could have went NA for the M motors but they would have fallen in the same hole as they did with the N54 vs S65. Combine fuel efficiency , CAFE Standards, certain real world performance standards such as down low TQ and competition from other manufacturers and you have your answer as to why things went the way they did. This was the best option for BMW to make as the only options left were to make NA motors which are subpar to that of Toyota and Honda and guzzle gas or create a new era of motor and be a few steps ahead.
      02-13-2012, 09:35 AM   #96
NYC6
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 135i PPKI/06 C6 Z51 Vette

I had an 09 Mini S. After a year the novelty wore off and not to mention the lack of power. Even with the turbo the car was too anemic for me. I traded it in on a 2010 135. The twin turbo I6 offers V8 TQ at very low rpm. The midrange also has great pull. Only at the top of the band does the power fizzle. If only the car could make good hp at high rpm, then it would be a complete performance package.
F/I is the future for performance combustion engines. I dont mind at all.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2012, 01:21 PM   #97
tekmoe
Captain
Rep
Drives: ///M

My previous two cars both had 2.0L engines with turbos bolted on from the factory. They were a lot of fun and I enjoyed them very much. Both were putting down around 300 ft lbs of torque at the wheels so they definitely had some giddyup. That being said, my Z4M with the 3.2L straight six is an entirely different animal. It requires more effort for city driving. It likes you to rev it. Going to 8k RPM still puts a smile on my face every time. My personal opinion is turbo cars are better suited for city driving conditions. If I ever decide to sell my Z4M, I would probably go back to a turbo car just because it seems a bit more practical for my needs.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2012, 02:19 PM   #98
3PedalMINI
Saving The Manuals!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC6 View Post
I had an 09 Mini S. After a year the novelty wore off and not to mention the lack of power. Even with the turbo the car was too anemic for me. I traded it in on a 2010 135. The twin turbo I6 offers V8 TQ at very low rpm. The midrange also has great pull. Only at the top of the band does the power fizzle. If only the car could make good hp at high rpm, then it would be a complete performance package.
F/I is the future for performance combustion engines. I dont mind at all.
Ha, im in the same boat man. It is not an 06, words cannot describe how much i regret getting rid of my 06. I have 2 years left on my lease (i am really glad i leased it) once the f32 coupe is released and they accept orders im going to jump on it and try and get out from under the MINI. Mini has lost their way and its ashaim. I here the new coupe is everything the r53's were and more but im pretty well done with mini. Im super bored with what little power it has and most of all the ignorant turbo.

I was so close on ordering the 1M but then i saw a rendering of the F30's and instantly fell in love with them. I cannot WAIT to see the f32 in Msport. I do wish BMW woud offer a Supercharged engine over the stupid turbos.

Appreciate 0