F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > 530i mystery!! N53 Engine
Studio RSR

09-06-2023, 04:19 AM   #1
EndoC92
Registered
Rep
Drives: N53 E60 5 SERIES

530i mystery!! N53 Engine

Hello everyone, this is my first post on here and would appreciate everyone's input.

I recently bought a 530i LCI model from 2008. Car looked mint from the outside. Until I bought it home and opened the bay to find oil leaks

I have since fitted new spark plugs, changed the rocker cover gasket and oil filter housing gasket. Also given it a service. But have an annoying issue with the car.

Every morning (or if i leave the car to sit for a few hours), the car will start with a strange misfire. This would be for no longer than a minute. Its almost like the car is hunting the rev and certain moments about to cut out. There is also a noticeable vibration from the inside through this process.

Injectors have been changed to the latest Index 11 less than 20k miles ago along with HPFP. I have ran the car but get no codes re misfire or anything relatable. ignition coils possibly need changing but from my research, this should not cause the issue i have explained, right?

Video of start up

On start up there is no smoke from the exhaust and about a minute in there is very minor puffs coming out, which to me looks like condensation. Under higher revs from neutral I do get more smoke, but this is a mixture of white and black, not blue.
I had a mechanic look at it who told me its most likely the valve stem seals, and that I should get rid of the car asap. I thought if the valve stem seals hardened then there would be a smoke cloud from idle, and the smoke would be a blue colour?

Would greatly appreciate any help here, the car otherwise drives and sounds in mint condition. Would hate to have to get rid of it for something possibly minor.

Thanks in advance.

Endo
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2023, 06:08 AM   #2
Our03z4
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW Z4 3.0si Coupe,

Could be a bad MAF connector, my Z4C 3.0si had a rpm hunting problem when first started and other issues. Bought the MAF connector kit and it fixed all the issues.
Appreciate 0