BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

Mporium BMW

10-07-2014, 10:38 PM   #45
RickyBobby
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

Sorry for the short answer above. I'm usually typing on my iphone. The bottom of my spring just sits on the lower control arm (metal to metal). The nub in the control arm is enough to keep the spring centered. I have standard 60mm springs and have various rates and brands (hyperco, eibach and swift) with an AST adjustable perch on the top of the spring.
Good luck, I went through the same thing with my moton's and tried all kinds of things like adding rubber pieces on top and bottom of the springs to no avail.
My current ohlins ttx setup is silent in the rear even with the solid upper mounts. That is why I say that your noise is not likely caused by the springs.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2014, 05:50 PM   #46
W Cole
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyBobby View Post
Sorry for the short answer above. I'm usually typing on my iphone. The bottom of my spring just sits on the lower control arm (metal to metal). The nub in the control arm is enough to keep the spring centered. I have standard 60mm springs and have various rates and brands (hyperco, eibach and swift) with an AST adjustable perch on the top of the spring.
Good luck, I went through the same thing with my moton's and tried all kinds of things like adding rubber pieces on top and bottom of the springs to no avail.
My current ohlins ttx setup is silent in the rear even with the solid upper mounts. That is why I say that your noise is not likely caused by the springs.
Theres a small plastic piece that sits between the rear spring and lower control arm..
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2014, 03:03 AM   #47
Ant Man
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Individual Edition

Jack,

I am considering the Ohlins BMS MI140. Is this what you have? And are you running their standard springs or custom? The standard are rated as follows:

front 60N/mm 342 lbs
rear 120N/mm 685 lbs

Out of interest why did you choose Ohlins and which company did you use to buy them?

The stock dampers are quite light. I don't supposed you weighed the kit before install to know if it is heavier than OEM?

They claim the dual valve technology provides a very comfortable ride with large grip improvements compared to stock. What's your view on their comfort, grip and agility having now run them on your car?
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2014, 08:20 AM   #48
FazerBoy
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant Man View Post
Jack,

I am considering the Ohlins BMS MI140. Is this what you have? And are you running their standard springs or custom? The standard are rated as follows:

front 60N/mm 342 lbs
rear 120N/mm 685 lbs

Out of interest why did you choose Ohlins and which company did you use to buy them?

The stock dampers are quite light. I don't supposed you weighed the kit before install to know if it is heavier than OEM?

They claim the dual valve technology provides a very comfortable ride with large grip improvements compared to stock. What's your view on their comfort, grip and agility having now run them on your car?

They are the standard Ohlins springs and I bought the kit and had it fitted by Birds.

We didn't weigh them.

I definitely think there are grip and agility improvements over stock but quantifying these would be difficult. I'm not too bothered about comfort but they feel about the same as the medium EDC setting.

Overall I'm happy I did this and I'm still looking at solutions for the noise.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2014, 06:04 AM   #49
Ant Man
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Jack,

have you been able to identify the cause of the noise?

Also how were the dampers set up? Were you provided with a recommended set up for road and another for track? Or did Birds used their own judgement with your input?
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2014, 04:17 PM   #50
W Cole
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3

Quote:
Jack,

have you been able to identify the cause of the noise?

Also how were the dampers set up? Were you provided with a recommended set up for road and another for track? Or did Birds used their own judgement with your input?
The directions come with recommendations. I think I am running 9 clicks out street and 2 clicks out for track.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2014, 03:11 PM   #51
FazerBoy
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

I'm waiting for a set of thrust sheets to come in and I'm going to get them fitted and see if that helps...
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2014, 04:09 PM   #52
Ant Man
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Jack, what's the latest?

Has the creaking noise been addressed?

Which company did you buy the kit from?
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2014, 02:09 PM   #53
FazerBoy
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Jack, what's the latest?

Has the creaking noise been addressed?

Which company did you buy the kit from?
Not yet - not had time to deal with it. The car drives ok.

Bought from Birds.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2014, 06:40 PM   #54
FazerBoy
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Noise issue all sorted out after thorough investigations.

Turned out not to be the suspension at all but my solid subframe bushings creaking! My shop has lubricated them (or tightened them or something - I don't know) and the noise has gone...

Thanks for all who chimed in to help.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2014, 05:56 AM   #55
Ant Man
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Excellent news Jack. How many clicks are you running from stiffest setting?

I wondered if 7 out from full stiff would be a good base setting for UK roads?

The need to remove the carpet in the boot to adjust the rear shocks is a little annoying.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2014, 04:37 PM   #56
FazerBoy
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

I have no idea what settings I have - Birds set it up. I think they used the settings recommended by Ohlins.

They cut holes in the boot carpet to get to the adjusters.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2014, 09:03 PM   #57
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by FazerBoy View Post
I have no idea what settings I have - Birds set it up. I think they used the settings recommended by Ohlins.

They cut holes in the boot carpet to get to the adjusters.
Glad you were able to solve the noise issue even though the thrust sheets didn't help.

There is optional adjuster extenders so instead of a large 10cm hole, you have a 1cm hole.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2014, 04:42 PM   #58
bdaddylo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FazerBoy View Post
Noise issue all sorted out after thorough investigations.

Turned out not to be the suspension at all but my solid subframe bushings creaking! My shop has lubricated them (or tightened them or something - I don't know) and the noise has gone...

Thanks for all who chimed in to help.
You should now change the title of this thread since the noise had nothing to do with your Ohlins.

1991 E30 M3/Brilliantrot
2017 F80 M3/AW
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2014, 05:51 PM   #59
FazerBoy
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdaddylo View Post
You should now change the title of this thread since the noise had nothing to do with your Ohlins.
Good point. I can't work out how to edit a thread title though...
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2014, 09:13 PM   #60
tlrid3r
just another M3
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

thread was getting to look to read. But My ohlins rt were provide with a rubber insolator. I have zero noise on mine and going on 10k miles on it already.

here is the pic
right above the perch
///M3... Don't want more power, Just want it to turn sharper one step closer each time. -Ohlins TTX Raceline, PolePostions seats, Akrapovic EVO, ARC-8, 1/2 Cage, Seat Delete, Stoptech BBK, solid Subframe and diff bushing, spherical bearing on everything.
Appreciate 0