F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Watches > Richard Mille Tourbillon RM 56-02 Sapphire
Studio RSR

07-15-2014, 10:37 AM   #23
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
I just love the fact that Nadal wears the RMs to play in. I cannot imagine a worse thing that anyone would, within reason, put a watch through short of using the paint shaker at Home Depot as a winder.
??? Not sure I follow....watches aren't so delicate that playing tennis with one is going to harm it, unless you actually hit it with tennis racket or the ball itself slams into it.

All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 12:50 PM   #24
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009
Quote:
I just love the fact that Nadal wears the RMs to play in. I cannot imagine a worse thing that anyone would, within reason, put a watch through short of using the paint shaker at Home Depot as a winder.
??? Not sure I follow....watches aren't so delicate that playing tennis with one is going to harm it, unless you actually hit it with tennis racket or the ball itself slams into it.

All the best.
If I were to play tennis with one sure, no big deal. But the violent force with which he swings and hits, I read someplace that it's horrible over time for the movement. I think on his two hander I read someplace 4-5Gs. We're not talking about complete failure, just throwing things out of perfect over time. Although the latest RM is supposed to handle some crazy g-forces so who knows. It's like anything else that's mechanical it will eventually need adjusting. Although for this specific watch I think it's better suited for this type of abuse than most other things out there.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 12:53 PM   #25
TSM330i
2006 330i, TSM, Black, manual, sport
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 C2, GTI, Z4 3.0si Racecar

Wow! This set off quite a few responses. I haven't been on the forum for a few days.

Bottom line is: IF you can afford $2 million for a watch, the "other items" listed won't really come into play. It's a completely different mind set. More than likely, the person that can afford this watch, already has all the other items.

A buddy of mine was asking me about watches (he knows nothing) and the brands and models he was asking me about were all $135,00 - $225,000. He said a friend of his was looking for a daily wear watch. Turned out he did buy the one for $225,000, he's also a billionaire.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 01:10 PM   #26
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSM330i
Wow! This set off quite a few responses. I haven't been on the forum for a few days.

Bottom line is: IF you can afford $2 million for a watch, the "other items" listed won't really come into play. It's a completely different mind set. More than likely, the person that can afford this watch, already has all the other items.

A buddy of mine was asking me about watches (he knows nothing) and the brands and models he was asking me about were all $135,00 - $225,000. He said a friend of his was looking for a daily wear watch. Turned out he did buy the one for $225,000, he's also a billionaire.
To be honest, everyone who I know who could afford to spend that much never in a million years would even consider it. Probably why they can afford it in the first place
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 02:11 PM   #27
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
To be honest, everyone who I know who could afford to spend that much never in a million years would even consider it. Probably why they can afford it in the first place
+1 sort of.....

I think spending $2M on a watch is one thing and spending it on that particular watch cited in the OP is quite another. I liken the former to buying a DaVinci (depending on the watch) and the latter to buying excrement de la DaVinci's.

All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 04:30 PM   #28
Benedict1957
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSM330i View Post

+1. There's much ado about nothing regarding the price of this watch.

As a personal rule of thumb, one should never spend more than .5% of one's wealth (non-inclusive of primary residence) on a watch. The kinds of people who buy $5000 watches are usually worth around $1M (5000/.005) which pretty much follows what you'll see in practice. People who buy $100,000 watches are worth around $20M. People who buy $2,000,000 watches are billionaires. Most "middle class" watches can be had for < $1000 and are affordable, by this criterion, to people worth $200,000 (or less).

The people who are suggesting that one buy a $150,000 PAM in lieu of this $2,000,000 RM are missing the point. These are different markets.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 04:34 PM   #29
Benedict1957
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Quote:
Not necessarily. The people who can afford a $2,000,000 watch did not make their money slow and steady over time. These are people who made an exorbitant amount of money in a very short period of time.

Slow and steady saving with frugal expenditures and typical top 1-5% jobs will get you into the $1M-$10M range over a lifetime (usually the lower end of that range). A lot of these people tend to be extremely frugal as you suggest, but no one in this wealth bracket can afford a $2,000,000 watch, not even those worth $10M.

The people who can afford a $2,000,000 watch made a huge windfall very quickly. They need not have lived frugal lifestyles to accumulate their wealth.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 05:34 PM   #30
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benedict1957
Quote:
Not necessarily. The people who can afford a $2,000,000 watch did not make their money slow and steady over time. These are people who made an exorbitant amount of money in a very short period of time.

Slow and steady saving with frugal expenditures and typical top 1-5% jobs will get you into the $1M-$10M range over a lifetime (usually the lower end of that range). A lot of these people tend to be extremely frugal as you suggest, but no one in this wealth bracket can afford a $2,000,000 watch, not even those worth $10M.

The people who can afford a $2,000,000 watch made a huge windfall very quickly. They need not have lived frugal lifestyles to accumulate their wealth.
Just speaking for my personal experience with self made folks running mutual funds, hospital systems, biotech geniuses etc. One guy in particular I know is worth half a billion conservative estimate and drives an old Saab. There's no general rule I'm just speaking from my personal experience with people I know, that's all.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2014, 11:49 PM   #31
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Just speaking for my personal experience with self made folks running mutual funds, hospital systems, biotech geniuses etc. One guy in particular I know is worth half a billion conservative estimate and drives an old Saab. There's no general rule I'm just speaking from my personal experience with people I know, that's all.
The first general rule I can think of is that most folks -- regardless of their wealth -- are not going to spend $2M+ on a watch. The second general rule is that those who do so, do so in large measure because they can, again regardless of their wealth. (I.e., some may find a way to be able to do so and others just can because they can.) In any regard, given the production numbers of such watches, the third general rule is that it's all but impossible to generalize about the ten or fewer folks on the planet will buy such watches. LOL

All the best.

Appreciate 0
      07-18-2014, 09:37 AM   #32
Gunzaro
First Lieutenant
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: Speed Racer

I just bought one of these:

The particular color I got was Limited edition to 188 pieces worldwide. In-house movement. Very happy to wear it.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2014, 01:49 PM   #33
TSM330i
2006 330i, TSM, Black, manual, sport
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 C2, GTI, Z4 3.0si Racecar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunzaro View Post
I just bought one of these:

The particular color I got was Limited edition to 188 pieces worldwide. In-house movement. Very happy to wear it.
VERY nice piece! I like it a lot.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2014, 02:01 PM   #34
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Well, you have a lot of different types of people with money. Being in San Francisco and with a lot of tech company billionaires around - they tend to be pretty low key. People like Mark Zuckerberg who wears hoodies and jeans every day and sits in a cubicle with the rest of his people and drives a VW GTI every day. So these people would probably never buy such displays of wealth even though they have the means to.
      07-18-2014, 02:36 PM   #35
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

I could afford it I just don't want it.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2014, 02:56 PM   #36
bamboostk86
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i

Garage List
2007 328I E93  [10.00]
2009 bmw X3  [0.00]
I like my swatch

Stay clean my friends
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2014, 05:31 PM   #37
E90Alex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F83 M4 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
Well, you have a lot of different types of people with money. Being in San Francisco and with a lot of tech company billionaires around - they tend to be pretty low key. People like Mark Zuckerberg who wears hoodies and jeans every day and sits in a cubicle with the rest of his people and drives a VW GTI every day. So these people would probably never buy such displays of wealth even though they have the means to.
Didnt zuckerberg just place an order on a Pagani Huayra?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2014, 07:29 PM   #38
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Alex View Post
Didnt zuckerberg just place an order on a Pagani Huayra?
Is this for real? Cool car.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2014, 08:39 PM   #39
NemesisX
Captain
Rep
Drives: '19 Infiniti Q60S

Quote:
Zuck can try but he'll never be low key regardless of what he wears or drives
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2014, 07:40 AM   #40
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
My unscientific observation is that few newly well off folks are "low key" about much of anything, so taken are they with their success and good fortune. Their ebullience isn't unmerited and more power to them and I wish them much continued success.

As for M.Z. the guy isn't from what anyone would call humble beginnings. Money and the indulgences it can buy aren't new to him at all. His father is a dentist and Mark went to Exeter. M.Z. comes from the land of "old money" and folks who appear as though they are (were) from "old money."

I do agree, however, that there are many understated wealthy folks in San Francisco and the surrounding area. The thing is that American culture today isn't as dressy, structured and formal as it was even some 40 years ago. As a result, most rich folks -- when they aren't engaged in some "rich folks only" extravagant activity -- are going to appear to be low key.

All the best.

Last edited by tony20009; 07-22-2014 at 04:22 AM.. Reason: spelling: aren't should have been "are" in the first sentence
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 12:11 PM   #41
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
My unscientific observation is that few newly well off folks arem't "low key" about much of anything, so taken are they with their success and good fortune. Their ebullience isn't unmerited and more power to them and I wish them much continued success.

As for M.Z. the guy isn't from what anyone would call humble beginnings. Money and the indulgences it can buy aren't new to him at all. His father is a dentist and Mark went to Exeter. M.Z. comes from the land of "old money" and folks who appear as though they are (were) from "old money."

I do agree, however, that there are many understated wealthy folks in San Francisco and the surrounding area. The thing is that American culture today isn't as dressy, structured and formal as it was even some 40 years ago. As a result, most rich folks -- when they aren't engaged in some "rich folks only" extravagant activity -- are going to appear to be low key.

All the best.
Friends of mine have met him and/or worked with him before. From what everyone says, he seems like any other normal guy. You'll find him walking his dog around SF, eating in the company cafeteria and having a beer at local places.

But that is just an example. A lot of tech money people are not into materialistic things. It's really a part of the engineering background of the people. Anyone who does coding and programming knows what it's like and the attitude among computer engineers towards money. It's very low key and any display of wealth is looked down upon.

I guess contrast that with people like Larry Ellison who cruises into his office at Oracle on a yacht and spends a fortune on his toys...
      09-12-2014, 04:32 PM   #42
E90Alex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F83 M4 Competition

Quote:
Friends of mine have met him and/or worked with him before. From what everyone says, he seems like any other normal guy. You'll find him walking his dog around SF, eating in the company cafeteria and having a beer at local places.

But that is just an example. A lot of tech money people are not into materialistic things. It's really a part of the engineering background of the people. Anyone who does coding and programming knows what it's like and the attitude among computer engineers towards money. It's very low key and any display of wealth is looked down upon.

I guess contrast that with people like Larry Ellison who cruises into his office at Oracle on a yacht and spends a fortune on his toys...
Thats until Zuckerberg takes delivery of his Pagani Huayra
Appreciate 0