F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition > Sedan_Clan's Personal Trainer Thread
Extreme Powerhouse

07-24-2014, 01:47 PM   #133
Billup
Banned
Burkina Faso
Rep
Drives: Your mum crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Sweet! Looking forward to it man.
So here is where I am at as of today. Not happy with it, but it is what it is. I only got in for a half hour because my left elbow started hurting pretty bad due to a drunk volleyball issue from July 4th.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 01:53 PM   #134
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billup View Post
So here is where I am at as of today. Not happy with it, but it is what it is. I only got in for a half hour because my left elbow started hurting pretty bad due to a drunk volleyball issue from July 4th.
Props for posting your photos man. You're lean, so now it's time to build. How much weight/muscle are you looking to stack onto your frame?
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 01:53 PM   #135
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
So, the motivation of posting worked. I had an appt. to go deliver/install a computer at 7:30. That was my excuse to not do my run, didn't have time to eat and run and shower and get there. Instead, as soon as I got home I checked my sugar and needed a boost. Slammed a soda and started stretching. Ran 2.3 miles in 24:17, which is the second best time for July. I USED to do this same distance in about 21, so I have some work to do. My short term goal on this 2.3 is to do it without walking. Came home and dinner was almost ready. Screw the people, I didn't smell all that bad, and they are a family of runners so they would understand.

Today my son has baseball practice next to the track. I'm going to do some intervals and time the 50 and 200.

I use the walktracker to get my times/distances. I saw that when I crossed 12:00 I was at 1.30 miles, so the first item on the test is OK.
Well done Sir! That's how you attack the madness. That 2.3 mile time will definitely come down.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 01:57 PM   #136
Billup
Banned
Burkina Faso
Rep

Quote:
Props for posting your photos man. You're lean, so now it's time to build. How much weight/muscle are you looking to stack onto your frame?
No shame here. Just want to better myself. Realistically, I would like to add at least another 10/15lbs so I can be around 145/150, I'm too thin. Muscle wise, I guess I am aching just more.... refinement/definition? I prefer the added weight to be muscle mass, but I know I need natural body fat more than that at this point.

I don't want to bulk, to where I constantly need to be in the gym to be proactive in keeping form, but I would like to be more cut in a sense.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 01:58 PM   #137
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
So, the motivation of posting worked. I had an appt. to go deliver/install a computer at 7:30. That was my excuse to not do my run, didn't have time to eat and run and shower and get there. Instead, as soon as I got home I checked my sugar and needed a boost. Slammed a soda and started stretching. Ran 2.3 miles in 24:17, which is the second best time for July. I USED to do this same distance in about 21, so I have some work to do. My short term goal on this 2.3 is to do it without walking. Came home and dinner was almost ready. Screw the people, I didn't smell all that bad, and they are a family of runners so they would understand.

Today my son has baseball practice next to the track. I'm going to do some intervals and time the 50 and 200.

I use the walktracker to get my times/distances. I saw that when I crossed 12:00 I was at 1.30 miles, so the first item on the test is OK.
Awesome! Glad to hear you go out there. The only thing I'd say is if you can try to skip the soda (I understand there's blood sugar concerns) or subsitute it for something else (coffee, tea, low calorie drinks if you just need the b/s boost and not the energy/caffeine kick)
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 01:59 PM   #138
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No shame here. Just want to better myself. Realistically, I would like to add at least another 10/15lbs so I can be around 145/150, I'm too thin. Muscle wise, I guess I am aching just more.... refinement/definition? I prefer the added weight to be muscle mass, but I know I need natural body fat more than that at this point.

I don't want to bulk, to where I constantly need to be in the gym to be proactive in keeping form, but I would like to be more cut in a sense.
What does a typical day's diet look like for you? (If you posted it already I missed it so sorry)
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 02:04 PM   #139
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:

Well the benefit to your situation is that you seem to be a natural ectomorph, so putting on body fat won't really be an issue for you. How many calories are you taking in on average? Also, what do your legs look like? I'd suggest that you focus mainly on the big compound lifts (..and the largest muscle groups) rather than isolation exercises at this point. Become romantic about squats. It will put mass on you everywhere!
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 02:07 PM   #140
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

I'm insulin-dependent, so I have to boost the blood sugar with sugar. I checked when I got home and was at 105 and fasting. No way I could run 2.3 on that alone, I'd be dialing 911 about the turn-around point. Normally, the running happens about 30-45 after dinner, so there is plenty to stave off hypoglycemia. Not the best for digestion since all the blood goes to the legs, but we do what we got to do.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 02:12 PM   #141
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
I'm insulin-dependent, so I have to boost the blood sugar with sugar. I checked when I got home and was at 105 and fasting. No way I could run 2.3 on that alone, I'd be dialing 911 about the turn-around point. Normally, the running happens about 30-45 after dinner, so there is plenty to stave off hypoglycemia. Not the best for digestion since all the blood goes to the legs, but we do what we got to do.
A female friend of mine is the same way. She keeps a Snickers and Skittles with her at all times in case of situations like that.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 02:12 PM   #142
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well the benefit to your situation is that you seem to be a natural ectomorph, so putting on body fat won't really be an issue for you. How many calories are you taking in on average? Also, what do your legs look like? I'd suggest that you focus mainly on the big compound lifts (..and the largest muscle groups) rather than isolation exercises at this point. Become romantic about squats. It will put mass on you everywhere!
+1 Let's see the wheels!

I'd say clean diet, limit the cardio and lift heavy.
At least 1.5g of protein per pound of lbm...do you agree?
I'm just thinking he's probably a "hardgainer"
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 02:16 PM   #143
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
A female friend of mine is the same way. She keeps a Snickers and Skittles with her at all times in case of situations like that.
I have glucose tab cylinders EVERYWHERE. Hypos are a great excuse to eat candy/dingdongs/zebra cakes. . .
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 02:17 PM   #144
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 954Stealth View Post
+1 Let's see the wheels!

I'd say clean diet, limit the cardio and lift heavy.
At least 1.5g of protein per pound of lbm...do you agree?
I'm just thinking he's probably a "hardgainer"
Agreed! I'd definitely consider him to be a 'hardgainer', so he's going to have to pack in the calories. I'd even go so far as to suggest a partial serving from the cleanest mass gainer supplement that he can find.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 02:22 PM   #145
grimlock
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F10 N52B30@255PS

@Billup
Look fine to me.. maybe a little perverted but..
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 06:38 AM   #146
Billup
Banned
Burkina Faso
Rep

Quote:
What does a typical day's diet look like for you? (If you posted it already I missed it so sorry)
Probably unconventional, considering it's very sporadic.

Most of my diet consists of at least two of the following for a dinner;
Beef - steak or 90/10 lean ground
Pork (not too often)
Poultry
Tomato/Asparagus/Green Beans/Onion/etc.
Fruit - Strawberries/Blueberries/Kiwi/Raspberries
Fish - Swordfish/Tilapia/Catfish
Wheat breads
Beer
Salad for dinner maybe twice a week w/ meat or fish w/ Vinegar&Oil
Mixed Nuts (snack) - Giant container from Sam's Club
Potatoes sometimes

Two meals a day - Lunch and Dinner. Usually don't have time for breakfast (bad, I know) because my trip to work is an hour, so I get up, change, and leave.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 06:45 AM   #147
Billup
Banned
Burkina Faso
Rep

Quote:
I honestly don't even know what my average calorie intake is, to be honest. I should probably get into the habit of tracking my intake.

My thighs are actually pretty...., thick and somewhat toned, but not as much as they used to be. I've played hockey for about 17 years, soccer for 10, and tennis for 10. I usually do leg presses @ 150lbs, 3 sets of 10 reps.

Calves are...., so so. I definitely don't have chicken legs like a lot of people I see. Which is surprising, given my weight.

Since this I finally was able to make it back into the gym yesterday, I'd like to start a new regiment next week including some of the ideas you've tossed at me to see where it takes me!
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 06:49 AM   #148
Billup
Banned
Burkina Faso
Rep

Quote:
Agreed! I'd definitely consider him to be a 'hardgainer', so he's going to have to pack in the calories. I'd even go so far as to suggest a partial serving from the cleanest mass gainer supplement that he can find.
I think that is going to be the best way for me to add calories, because I know I likely can't do it on my regular diet. Some days I can put down 5000 calories in a single meal, other days not so much.

Do you have any suggestions for a supplement?
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 07:58 AM   #149
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

@billup
You're not eating bad things except (I hate to say it) the beer. So what I'd recommend - and I know you were talking with sedan clan and this is his thread - is to dial in the quantity and frequency of your food intake.
Do you know what you're BMR is? You're goal should be about 1,000 above that for a couple of weeks to see how your body reacts.

What kind of protein powder are you using?

You really need to feed the machine, especially if you're going to be working out more.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 08:10 AM   #150
Billup
Banned
Burkina Faso
Rep

Quote:
@billup
You're not eating bad things except (I hate to say it) the beer. So what I'd recommend - and I know you were talking with sedan clan and this is his thread - is to dial in the quantity and frequency of your food intake.
Do you know what you're BMR is? You're goal should be about 1,000 above that for a couple of weeks to see how your body reacts.

You really need to feed the machine, especially if you're going to be working out more.
I know the beer thing is bad. But I love it. It mentally prepares me for whatever nonsense my SO feels like tossing at me when I get home.

I have no idea what my BMR is, either. Not currently on any protein powder. Just my regular diet with no supplements (which is why I would like suggestions). I haven't been on a protein supplement in over 2 years.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 08:13 AM   #151
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Here is a good BMR calculator:
http://www.myfitnesspal.com/tools/bmr-calculator

For protein, I like Muscle Pharm's products. If you research on your own you will see that it gets good reviews:
http://musclepharm.com/ie-7-products/
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 08:22 AM   #152
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 954Stealth
@billup

This pretty much sums it up. Without the food there is no way that you're going to up the weight Bill. You have to eat to grow.

As far as a weight gainer supplement, let me do some checking. Maybe 954 can recommend a quality product as well.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 08:30 AM   #153
Billup
Banned
Burkina Faso
Rep

Quote:
This pretty much sums it up. Without the food there is no way that you're going to up the weight Bill. You have to eat to grow.

As far as a weight gainer supplement, let me do some checking. Maybe 954 can recommend a quality product as well.
Quote:
Your estimated BMR is: 1,577 calories/day*
I know I need to eat more, and probably a more consistent calorie intake along with it. Is there anything "hearty" I can eat that can somewhat help with my current diet that I didn't list? I eat a good portion of food for dinner, but I do suppose I could up my lunch game.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 08:32 AM   #154
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
I know the beer thing is bad. But I love it. It mentally prepares me for whatever nonsense my SO feels like tossing at me when I get home.

I have no idea what my BMR is, either. Not currently on any protein powder. Just my regular diet with no supplements (which is why I would like suggestions). I haven't been on a protein supplement in over 2 years.
Eh, in your case the beer isn't that big of a deal... For you, more calories in the form of protein is best for lean muscle gain, but at the end of the day, more calories is more calories. Obviously drinking now is not making you fat, so it doesn't matter that much. One or two from time to time is not stunting your growth. Too much would obviously hinder your workout performance.

You need to add more fats and proteins IMO. Healthy fats, little bit of saturated, no trans fats. Add more meat (larger servings maybe) or supplement with protein powders. Mass gainers are probably your friend. I use regular whey since I bloat and get fat if I use a mass gainer (it's different for everyone).

Post workout meal is the most important of the day usually.