BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

European Auto Source (EAS)

08-26-2022, 03:56 PM   #45
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

It definitely sounds like the case, as the verbage does suggest it is just merely a function of time, nothing more.
Track Chat Discord: https://discord.gg/VsKbTyqBVj
SF Bay Area: DM For coding services
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2022, 05:21 AM   #46
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony B View Post
I am thinking the same.

The differences between the settings seem very small now, so maybe everything has been over-compensated assuming more wear than has actually taken place.
Mine have changed drastically since i bought the car 9y ago with 12k miles on the clock, at 56k miles now. Been fiddling around measuring damper current, replacing EDC module, visiting dealers etc without result. Gave up at some point and found that a very precise tyre pressure produce ok softness/stiffness in the different modes but still miles from the orginal differences thought.
I will give this a try soon as I get hold of a tool that support it.
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6728.50
      02-14-2023, 03:03 PM   #47
DrFerry
Field Marshal
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [5.25]
2015 BMW X5  [4.50]
Anyone know if the Carly App is capable of the EDC damper reset?
'08 E92 M3 DCT Melbourne Red/Bamboo Beige Leather/EDC/SSP Spec-R DCT clutch discs/SSP Pro-Gold DCT Fluid/Quaife LSD/3:45 Final Drive by Diffs Online/BE Bearings & ARP Bolts/Vibra Technics Engine Mounts/M3 World HFC X-Pipe/LUX H8 180/BPM Sport DCT Tune/PFC Z-Rated Pads/ECS Brass Brake Caliper Bushings/Alex Shop Solid Sub-frame Bushings/Motul 600/Tint
Appreciate 1
      02-17-2023, 07:29 AM   #48
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFerry View Post
Anyone know if the Carly App is capable of the EDC damper reset?
I don't believe so. I had Carly for years but can't say I go through everything in between updates of the app but would be surpriced if the feature is hidden somewhere in there. Why, replacing chock mate?
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6728.50
      02-17-2023, 04:29 PM   #49
DrFerry
Field Marshal
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [5.25]
2015 BMW X5  [4.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsman View Post
I don't believe so. I had Carly for years but can't say I go through everything in between updates of the app but would be surpriced if the feature is hidden somewhere in there. Why, replacing chock mate?
My question stems from a 'hypothetical-what-if' type scenario. If the EDC module compensates for OEM EDC shock wear - by altering the voltage the EDC shocks 'see' - i.e. to stiffen them as mileage and wear increase, then what might happen if the EDC was reset BUT the old OEM EDC shocks were left installed?

In this case it seems as though the EDC would revert to "thinking" the shocks were new when in fact they are old and worn. So if the EDC is reset and the shocks are still old then the ride would (comfort) theoretically improve but the handling would be degraded.

I know this sounds like an odd scenario, but suppose an owner wanted a softer ride then one could reset the EDC mileage to zero and if desired still stiffen the ride back up from the newly improved comfort mode with the other two remaining EDC normal and sport settings.

Sorry for my miscellaneous ramblings.
'08 E92 M3 DCT Melbourne Red/Bamboo Beige Leather/EDC/SSP Spec-R DCT clutch discs/SSP Pro-Gold DCT Fluid/Quaife LSD/3:45 Final Drive by Diffs Online/BE Bearings & ARP Bolts/Vibra Technics Engine Mounts/M3 World HFC X-Pipe/LUX H8 180/BPM Sport DCT Tune/PFC Z-Rated Pads/ECS Brass Brake Caliper Bushings/Alex Shop Solid Sub-frame Bushings/Motul 600/Tint
Appreciate 1
      02-17-2023, 04:45 PM   #50
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
My question stems from a 'hypothetical-what-if' type scenario. If the EDC module compensates for OEM EDC shock wear - by altering the voltage the EDC shocks 'see' - i.e. to stiffen them as mileage and wear increase, then what might happen if the EDC was reset BUT the old OEM EDC shocks were left installed?

In this case it seems as though the EDC would revert to "thinking" the shocks were new when in fact they are old and worn. So if the EDC is reset and the shocks are still old then the ride would (comfort) theoretically improve but the handling would be degraded.

I know this sounds like an odd scenario, but suppose an owner wanted a softer ride then one could reset the EDC mileage to zero and if desired still stiffen the ride back up from the newly improved comfort mode with the other two remaining EDC normal and sport settings.

That's exactly the mindset we thought when I reset wyatth 's EDC on his ZCP car.
Track Chat Discord: https://discord.gg/VsKbTyqBVj
SF Bay Area: DM For coding services
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6728.50
      02-20-2023, 02:42 AM   #51
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep

Quote:

Got you. Also been thinking about this since I read about that the EDC are compensated over time. I don't have a tool to reset with but thinking of getting one to do it as I don't think my EDC behave the way I like it over the years.

Come to think of it, it is a few years not since I measured the (individual) EDC chock current but when I did it measured according to spec (IIRC 0.8/1.6/2.0Amps in the diff settings). Still have the wire "tool", maybe I'll make another measurement now after some years have passed to see if its possible to confirm (assumingly should be tad lower current).
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6728.50
      02-25-2023, 12:02 AM   #52
wyatth
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by derbo View Post
That's exactly the mindset we thought when I reset wyatth 's EDC on his ZCP car.
Yup. In my case, comfort mode got a little more comfortable, and sport mode got a little tighter, while normal stayed about the same. When I got my car (47K) the 3 EDC modes were noticeably different (and each used). But by the time I got to 62K, the 3 modes were hard to tell the difference between (they all felt like normal). Resetting the EDC made each mode feel the way they used to.

In theory, a system that adjusts for wear would be neat and I wouldn't want to "trick" the system into treating old dampers like a new set, but (1) we aren't sure what factors contribute to the EDC adaptations (if it's just mileage, that seems somewhat primitive since not all miles/use are equal on damper wear), and (2) given that mine were all feeling the same, I figured it would be a worthwhile experiment before considering swapping out the dampers. In my case, it bought me time since I like the distinct EDC modes and the dampers are not otherwise failing.

Davisca455 had different results with his reset, where it made all of his modes feel like sport... so YMMV.
Appreciate 2
DrFerry6728.50
Davisca4552207.50
      03-01-2024, 09:45 AM   #53
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony B View Post
I am thinking the same.

The differences between the settings seem very small now, so maybe everything has been over-compensated assuming more wear than has actually taken place.
Hey Tony, just chiming in should you have missed a parallell thread going on the subject.

Brandoch provided a BMW document (https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=21370133) that confirms...

"Tolerance Adaptation
The damper force is diminished as part of the operating time function. Diminishing damper forces are compensated by current (amperage) reductions which are calculated by the tolerance control. This also individually compensates for mechanical damper wear on each axle."

...as well as reset/clearing adaptations:

"Notes on Service
Mechanical wear causes the dampers to weaken over the service life, therefore a running time memory adapts the damper curves towards a harder setting (over time). Faulty dampers must be replaced together (in pairs) on a single axle. After a replacement, the running time memory for the front or rear axle must be reset with the BMW diagnostic equipment"

FYI we've continue the discussion here: https://www.m3post.com/forums/showth...2006874&page=3

Last edited by Helmsman; 03-02-2024 at 02:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2024, 04:29 PM   #54
Tony B
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3, MW, ZCP, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsman View Post
Hey Tony, just chiming in should you have missed a parallell thread going on the subject.

Brandoch provided a BMW document (https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=21370133) that confirms...

"Tolerance Adaptation
The damper force is diminished as part of the operating time function. Diminishing damper forces are compensated by current (amperage) reductions which are calculated by the tolerance control. This also individually compensates for mechanical damper wear on each axle."

...as well as reset/clearing adaptations:

"Notes on Service
Mechanical wear causes the dampers to weaken over the service life, therefore a running time memory adapts the damper curves towards a harder setting (over time). Faulty dampers must be replaced together (in pairs) on a single axle. After a replacement, the running time memory for the front or rear axle must be reset with the BMW diagnostic equipment"

FYI we've continue the discussion here: https://www.m3post.com/forums/showth...2006874&page=3
Hi - only just seen this. Thanks for the heads-up!