BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

03-02-2024, 07:55 PM   #23
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

sounds like a complex job and he has already started doing some work for you. did he crack the first motor that was supposed to be the replacement and find it was no good? then had to source another motor and some parts? a couple months seems reasonable for a job like this with complications...
      03-23-2024, 03:55 PM   #24
Mjlevine
Private
Rep
Drives: 535i/m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanMpower View Post
Any updates? Did you get your car back on the 27th as promised?

Also, the first quote for $3700, was for the RB job? If so it seems like the prices went way up.
Got the car back the 27th he quoted me for lower originally and then that $3,700 was a mistake I don’t believe that message was originally for me
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2024, 04:04 PM   #25
Mjlevine
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camnyc View Post
Ill play devils advocate, there is always 3 sides to a story. Im not a customer of Malek’s but hes taken my calls and has provided guidance without hesitation.

Does the op live in the area? Why not drive down/up to check on the progress when you didnt hear back. All good shops these days are booked out atleast 3months for any kind of labor intensive work. I bet mrf is booked out 4-6 months. So your car going in for an rb job (knowing that the motor was knocking - kinda sb on your part and you are partially to blame as a result) now needs a replacement motor, you usually move to the back of the line, or you get squeezed in as permitted. And you are working with a perfectionist, so hes going to want to make sure the replacement motor is up to his standards and then perform what ever services necessary. This unfortunately takes time, and Im willing to bet this is why you took your car to him.

I say all of that to say this, go in person and talk to him if the timeline is causing you this much concern.

Good luck with the build.
Sorry for the late reply but I was under the impression that the previous owner had rb’s done and didn’t think it could’ve been a spun bearing I had originally sent him videos of the sound and he said it could need new bearings and sent it up to diagnose the sound I had looked around to find someone somewhat local to the area I’m in San Diego so it’s about 2hrs away and my current work schedule is 12hr days as a chef so I wasn’t able to make it up especially within his hours and I wasn’t made aware of it being a one man shop until much later when I checked a few forum post from a few years ago and how busy he was however after getting the car back the lip is cracked (most likely the tow truck driver but didn’t crack while loading the car from my house), something appears to have spilled on the headlight and etched into it, and the ac is not blowing cold after engine swap so might’ve not filled it all the way
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-23-2024, 04:05 PM   #26
Mjlevine
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camnyc View Post
Ill play devils advocate, there is always 3 sides to a story. Im not a customer of Malek’s but hes taken my calls and has provided guidance without hesitation.

Does the op live in the area? Why not drive down/up to check on the progress when you didnt hear back. All good shops these days are booked out atleast 3months for any kind of labor intensive work. I bet mrf is booked out 4-6 months. So your car going in for an rb job (knowing that the motor was knocking - kinda sb on your part and you are partially to blame as a result) now needs a replacement motor, you usually move to the back of the line, or you get squeezed in as permitted. And you are working with a perfectionist, so hes going to want to make sure the replacement motor is up to his standards and then perform what ever services necessary. This unfortunately takes time, and Im willing to bet this is why you took your car to him.

I say all of that to say this, go in person and talk to him if the timeline is causing you this much concern.

Good luck with the build.
Ac is under warranty and appreciate the post and pov
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2024, 04:10 PM   #27
Mjlevine
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
sounds like a complex job and he has already started doing some work for you. did he crack the first motor that was supposed to be the replacement and find it was no good? then had to source another motor and some parts? a couple months seems reasonable for a job like this with complications...
I agree with the amount of time it took looking back however my issue was the provided dates that he thought it’d be ready and the lack of replys and text I understand now it’s and one man show and his words at the time were “I I sent the one they sent me back and sourced you a better one for the same money. I wasn’t happy with the one I sourced, it looked a little dirty and my OCD didn’t sit well with it”
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-23-2024, 04:11 PM   #28
Mjlevine
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rGTIedge View Post
You guys do know that Lang is just down the street from MRF, right…?
Haven’t heard about them yet barely just found Mrf would be happy to learn more about them
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2024, 10:36 PM   #29
TNTMYM3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW e90 M3

Most of my top upgrades and maintenance work came out of MRF’s garage. MRF solid aluminum subframe bushings, BE rod bearings, KW 3way suspension, Dinan frt sway bar, ft spherical monoball control arm kit. I would DIY if I was even half as much a perfectionist as Malek but I’m not.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2024, 08:08 PM   #30
MPG_LOL
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 6MT

I've done a fair amount of work with MRF, but nothing as major as an engine swap.
In general, he isn't 'easy' to get in touch with but he does follow up and does as promised.
He is a one man band pretty much as others have said.

It's up to you to determine if the communication is a deal breaker

2021 Camaro LT1 A10. the DD- Torque baby!
Appreciate 0