F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > My 320i N20 Engine Issue
Extreme Powerhouse

04-15-2020, 11:48 AM   #1
radicalrev
Private
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: F30 320i B48

My 320i N20 Engine Issue

Just want to share a short recap of what happened to my 2014 320i N20 engine with less than 20,000 KM. Not sure if the N20 engines are this unreliable or if I am just unlucky.

I was cruising on the highway about 80-90 km/h, slight pressure to the pedal and suddenly the car loses power, and had to stop on the emergency lane. Tried restarting the car, but no crank, nothing just beeps.

Idrive screen showed a starter/ignition fault. I initially hoped it was a starter motor issue, maybe a bad spark plug or some other minor electrical issue but that was not the case. Towed to the dealership and few hours later the first thing they ask me was if I tuned/remapped the car, which I never have.

They said the crankshaft seized and needed to take apart the engine. Quoted me $1500 just to open and diagnose the engine. I told them I rather not proceed and ask for the ISTA error code report.

What stood out the most was error code :

0x123432 - Electric wastegate learning limit stop:stop position (wastegate closed) outside tolerance
0x120408 - Charging pressure control: Switch off as consequence

These 2 error codes showed occuring at 19082 kilometers (11800 miles), 120 miles before the incident. Also I did not notice any issue or symptoms during the 120miles i have driven.

Since my warranty has expired, I then towed the car to an independent shop which they took the engine apart. The owner said the wastegate turbo was the main cause of the issue, something about the wastegate being jammed and closed when the turbo was active creating a high pressure back into the engine causing the crankshaft to seized.

To sum it up, he also told me the engine block and piston rod were all good, but I needed to replace the wastegate, conrod bearing, thrust bearing, crankshaft bearing, and crankshaft (there was a scrape on the metal).

Just wondering if anyone has this issue before? What disturb me the most is this happening to a such a low mileage car.

If I were to fix these issues, in the long run will the engine still runs normal? Or should I just sell the car and get another F30?
I don't plan to tune or push the car to its limit. Just some occasional spirited driving and daily commuting.
Appreciate 1
sspade2468.50
      04-15-2020, 12:22 PM   #2
sspade
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Garage List
2016 BMW 320i  [7.87]
2014 BMW 328i  [6.83]
Interesting situation, thanks for sharing.

Sounds unique to the N20 (not a common issue). No idea what could have caused the turbo to fail other than there as a recall/update at some point on the oil return line back to turbo. Wonder if your car had the updated parts/work done to remedy this issue. Not saying that could have caused the issue but it did come to mind.

Shockingly low mileage for a 6 year old car. Generally speaking... cars are meant to be driven at least somewhat regularly to ensure proper working condition of certain parts/seals, etc. Averaging less than 2k miles a year is probably not considered "regularly used" by any standard.

Another thought... you would think the default position for a broken wastegate solenoid would be OPEN not closed... to prevent damaging the engine. Similar to the failure operation of a thermostat.

Just wondering... where was your car built?
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2020, 12:25 PM   #3
sspade
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 320i  [7.87]
2014 BMW 328i  [6.83]
As far as what to do... get the car fixed and keep it. A super clean, low mileage F30 is a nice ride and tough to replace for the money it's worth.

This time around... make sure you actually drive it!

Also... probably a good idea to have timing chain components replaced while the engine is a part. Other than this issue... the N20 has proven pretty reliable.
Appreciate 1
      04-15-2020, 08:51 PM   #4
radicalrev
Private
Indonesia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sspade View Post

Sounds unique to the N20 (not a common issue). No idea what could have caused the turbo to fail other than there as a recall/update at some point on the oil return line back to turbo. Wonder if your car had the updated parts/work done to remedy this issue. Not saying that could have caused the issue but it did come to mind.

Shockingly low mileage for a 6 year old car. Generally speaking... cars are meant to be driven at least somewhat regularly to ensure proper working condition of certain parts/seals, etc. Averaging less than 2k miles a year is probably not considered "regularly used" by any standard.

Another thought... you would think the default position for a broken wastegate solenoid would be OPEN not closed... to prevent damaging the engine. Similar to the failure operation of a thermostat.

Yes it is pretty low mileage for a 6 year old car because I only started to daily commute the car about 3 months ago when I moved office as previously it is only a walking distance.

If not mistaken, all parts are from Germany but the car was assembled locally by BMW Indonesia. Not sure if this would be a concern but I am sure they have the strict standards from BMW Germany.

The wastegate being stuck closed causes overboost and thus causes the damage to the engine, particularly the crankshaft. If it were to be open, I would just get a laggy throttle response right? I did have a very slight suspicion why the car felt a bit more responsive but I just thought to myself that this is normal since I did not have much time driving the car because of the covid19 situation.

Quote:
As far as what to do... get the car fixed and keep it. A super clean, low mileage F30 is a nice ride and tough to replace for the money it's worth.

Also... probably a good idea to have timing chain components replaced while the engine is a part. Other than this issue... the N20 has proven pretty reliable.
Yes for sure I will start to enjoy this car more as I now got the modification bug since my clublexus days back in college. I have already purchase a bunch of exterior and interior mods to the car prior to this incident, was planning to install them after the covid19 situation calms down. But now i don't know, I might switch to a newer F30 with the B48 engine.

Do you think with the current damages that I have, the car will run as normal as it should? Just worried with the damages done to the engine, it may cause other issues later down the road.

Last edited by radicalrev; 04-15-2020 at 09:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2020, 09:45 PM   #5
sspade
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 320i  [7.87]
2014 BMW 328i  [6.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by radicalrev View Post
Quote:

Yes it is pretty low mileage for a 6 year old car because I only started to daily commute the car about 3 months ago when I moved office as previously it is only a walking distance.

If not mistaken, all parts are from Germany but the car was assembled locally by BMW Indonesia. Not sure if this would be a concern but I am sure they have the strict standards from BMW Germany.

The wastegate being stuck closed causes overboost and thus causes the damage to the engine, particularly the crankshaft. If it were to be open, I would just get a laggy throttle response right? I did have a very slight suspicion why the car felt a bit more responsive but I just thought to myself that this is normal since I did not have much time driving the car because of the covid19 situation.

Quote:

Yes for sure I will start to enjoy this car more as I now got the modification bug since my clublexus days back in college. I have already purchase a bunch of exterior and interior mods to the car prior to this incident, was planning to install them after the covid19 situation calms down. But now i don't know, I might switch to a newer F30 with the B48 engine.

Do you think with the current damages that I have, the car will run as normal as it should? Just worried with the damages done to the engine, it may cause other issues later down the road.
You will lose $$$ if you switch cars. Guaranteed. If thats of no concern... go for it. Newer is usually better, I guess.

The N20 has proven (so far) to be more tunable and faster than the B48 if that matters.

If I was in your exact situation, I would buy used N20 from a 2015+ wreck. That will ensure that you have all updated components for timing chain.

I dont want to steer you but I do believe the N20 is a fine motor other than the timing chain issues (2012-2014). For the record, this issue is very uncommon overall and affects less than 5% of vehicles.

I personally drive a 2014 328i and have almost 94k miles. Only issue so far was coolant thermostat under warranty.

I also have full bolt on mods and running Bootmod3 flash tune. No problems!
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2020, 02:52 PM   #6
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

I won't ever drive an N20 again, not because they aren't great engines, but because once mine was tuned - it blew - at 48k miles. First it started to idle rough - which I was told was normal, but it was embarrassing how bad it idled.

Generally speaking I was told the later model N20's are ticking time bombs by the tuner in Orlando - ECS Tuning. Mine was a 2013. Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2020, 10:19 AM   #7
radicalrev
Private
Indonesia
Rep

Quote:
You will lose $$$ if you switch cars. Guaranteed. If thats of no concern... go for it. Newer is usually better, I guess.

The N20 has proven (so far) to be more tunable and faster than the B48 if that matters.

If I was in your exact situation, I would buy used N20 from a 2015+ wreck. That will ensure that you have all updated components for timing chain.

I dont want to steer you but I do believe the N20 is a fine motor other than the timing chain issues (2012-2014). For the record, this issue is very uncommon overall and affects less than 5% of vehicles.

I personally drive a 2014 328i and have almost 94k miles. Only issue so far was coolant thermostat under warranty.

Thanks for your assurance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaorange View Post
I won't ever drive an N20 again, not because they aren't great engines, but because once mine was tuned - it blew - at 48k miles. First it started to idle rough - which I was told was normal, but it was embarrassing how bad it idled.

Generally speaking I was told the later model N20's are ticking time bombs by the tuner in Orlando - ECS Tuning. Mine was a 2013. Good luck!
Well I don't think I will ever tune my car, especially after experiencing this incident.

I am now on the fence if after repairing the engine, will it ever run normal again and last me another 4 years? Or should I ditch the n20 and trade the car for a lci F30 with B48 engine.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2020, 08:06 PM   #8
F30Unit
Private
Rep
Drives: 330i

Quote:

Nice to hear! By chance did you repair the thermostat while the car was modded?

I didn't run by any similar problems with the N20 on these threads sorry you had to deal with that. Tuning wise 320i N20 seems to be stable on stage 1 (from what I read haven't flashed yet), so keep that in mind when your looking for the extra power.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2020, 10:29 PM   #9
F30_skrrt
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 328i

Garage List
2013 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaorange View Post

What caused the engine to blow? FBO with stage 2 BM3?

I'm running stage 1 with FBO except for downpipe.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2020, 02:45 AM   #10
Luverse
First Lieutenant
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: BMW F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by radicalrev View Post
Thanks for your assurance!

Well I don't think I will ever tune my car, especially after experiencing this incident.

I am now on the fence if after repairing the engine, will it ever run normal again and last me another 4 years? Or should I ditch the n20 and trade the car for a lci F30 with B48 engine.
just sell your car
it's not gonna hold up much longer after engine rebuilt

i directly sold my N20 after the engine blowed and repaired
i will not hold my hope on blowed N20 engine, no matter how good it being repaired
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2020, 03:42 AM   #11
Naiters
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: f30 320i 2012 year

Hi Guys,

I think we should make a poll to gather some statistics on the n20 engine.. 320i/328i. To get an estimate ratio of blown engines.

Too much hate for the best 2.0t I have ever driven.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2020, 09:41 AM   #12
sspade
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 320i  [7.87]
2014 BMW 328i  [6.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naiters View Post
Hi Guys,

I think we should make a poll to gather some statistics on the n20 engine.. 320i/328i. To get an estimate ratio of blown engines.

Too much hate for the best 2.0t I have ever driven.
This has already been done. Use the search button.

Lots of scared people out there... most of whom dont know the proper way to hold a wrench.

The N20 was a back to back winner of Ward's 10 Best Engines. Its a phenomenal four cylinder engine with one POTENTIAL failure item. Very low occurrence rate and highly unlikely to fail with proper care and maintenance.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2020, 10:33 AM   #13
Naiters
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: f30 320i 2012 year

Quote:

Lots of scared people out there... most of whom dont know the proper way to hold a wrench.

The N20 was a back to back winner of Ward's 10 Best Engines. Its a phenomenal four cylinder engine with one POTENTIAL failure item. Very low occurrence rate and highly unlikely to fail with proper care and maintenance.
The only poll I can find really is the timing chain main page poll. I am more curious about cracked pistons and blown engines, especially the higher 11:1 compression version.

Best regards
Appreciate 1
sspade2468.50
      04-20-2020, 10:25 AM   #14
Luverse
First Lieutenant
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: BMW F30

Quote:

its true, failed N20 engine is very low if compared to running N20 engine
but in my city, failed N20 engine occurance is quite high in car communities
stock or tuned, both of them have numerous history of failing

OP is one example of stock N20 that failed
me, is one example of tuned N20 that failed

both of case, has different failed component in N20 engine
OP because of wastegate, me because of oil pump and piston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naiters View Post
The only poll I can find really is the timing chain main page poll. I am more curious about cracked pistons and blown engines, especially the higher 11:1 compression version.

Best regards
you can see my post on BM3 discussion, around page 35-ish, my personal experience with blown N20 and cracked piston
Appreciate 1
sspade2468.50
      05-12-2020, 04:03 PM   #15
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

I think most cars get pretty beat up in the high heat and humidity of SE Asia. That's why everyone drives a Japanese non-turbo car because it's more reliable in those situation.