F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > "BMW can't wade thru water" videos went viral on Chinese tiktok ???
Studio RSR

08-05-2023, 09:50 PM   #1
aaaaaaaaaz
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e (CB/Coffee)

"BMW can't wade thru water" videos went viral on Chinese tiktok ???

Currently it is rainy season in China (unfortunately in some region there is some flooding) and there were a lot of video went viral criticizing BMW (and sometimes MB)'s ability wade thru water, comparing to Audi, Range rover and other luxury car. Some jokingly say after the rain all the cars broken on the roads are BMWs.

a few examples.

https://v.douyin.com/iJYqYwDy/

https://v.douyin.com/iJYqAjM1/

https://haokan.baidu.com/v?pd=wisena...95733629338526

https://v.douyin.com/iJYqkExm/

Is it nonsense or is it true that BMW has less capability for its cars and SUVs comparing to similar luxury car in each segment?
Appreciate 2
Coconut751.00
DrFerry6728.50
      08-05-2023, 10:10 PM   #2
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i; Kia EV6 GT

BMW have their air intake very low to the ground in the engine bay

it then sucks in water into the air intake

water gets into combustion chamber

piston tries to compress air but then meets water instead

water does not compress

rods pistons cranks valves all get bent

also water gets into the oil lubrication system and everything is lubricated with water instead of oil

new engine

Last edited by G30M; 08-06-2023 at 01:34 PM..
Appreciate 2
DrFerry6728.50
      08-05-2023, 10:12 PM   #3
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i; Kia EV6 GT

in fact just last month i was driving my toyota van through a flood and had to go around 2 dead BMWs

one of them was a X1 - i went home and googled the wading depth for the X1 - 25cm

in fact most BMWs have a listed wading depth of 25cm and the bigger SUVs are listed as 50cm
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6728.50
      08-06-2023, 03:22 AM   #4
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

Look for rufford ford clips on youtube. They're famous.
BMW's do seem to score not so good when imitating a submarine....
Lots of clips of people totalling their car (waterlocked), and BMW's seem to suffer maybe more...

Then again, when confronted with such high standing water...maybe look for a different route.
All those peoples in those clips (and in those dodgy chinese links) are TOTAL IDIOTS....

Like already said, the air inlet on bmw's is usually pretty low, behind the kidney's, about in the middle hightwise.
The air inlet is pretty low because the front of the car is pretty low on bmw's platforms. The i6 (and i4 too) is slanted, so placed under an angle. Therefore the engine sits lower (lower gravity).
Lots of other cars have a platform that accomodates an upright inline engine, and have an air inlet almost at the top of their grille.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t

Last edited by GuidoK; 08-06-2023 at 05:57 AM..
Appreciate 2
      08-06-2023, 09:19 AM   #5
gunsmoker
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Ùh, positioning the engine as low as possible for a low center of gravity and good aerodynamics is not something that helps navigate flooded areas. Is there any stats on corvettes, porsches, lotuses, lambos and other performance cars for that matter?
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6728.50
      08-06-2023, 09:39 AM   #6
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunsmoker View Post
Ùh, positioning the engine as low as possible for a low center of gravity and good aerodynamics is not something that helps navigate flooded areas. Is there any stats on corvettes, porsches, lotuses, lambos and other performance cars for that matter?
Porsches and lambo's do pretty well in that regard. Any car with a mid or rear engine does.
Not because the engine is that low, or even the air intake is that low, but the air intake is situated in the back, which means its located behind the bow wave and thus in much lower water.
It's the bow wave that sends all that water in the air intake in front engined cars. So if you want to wade through deep water with your front engined car, driving in reverse is the best thing to do.

Like I said, look up the rufford ford on youtube. hundreds of clips from different youtubers with all kinds of fails and you can make a whole study about how the water flows around cars going through too deep water. Some cars do unexpectedly well and some.....not so much

Rufford ford is now closed as it grew more and more a place where the local 4x4 club started to race through the water, which attracted huge crowds (lots of kids), but also started to cause dangerous situations, so the police acted on that.
The clips with ridiculously high water where people still think it's perfectly possible to cross were my favorite. So many cars totaled....

A BMW edition
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t

Last edited by GuidoK; 08-06-2023 at 09:47 AM..
Appreciate 3
      08-06-2023, 09:44 AM   #7
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

This isn't a BMW problem, it's an idiot driver problem. I hate to say it that way, but it is what it is. Yes, you can drive your 1989 Countach down your 15 mile pothole-riddled driveway most days, but there are undoubtedly better tools for that job.

I think maybe this Hilux with a few tweaks. It'd certainly get you noticed .
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
GuidoK10855.00
DrFerry6728.50
      08-06-2023, 09:54 AM   #8
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPhatic View Post
this Hilux with a few tweaks.
First and most common tweak to go through water: a snorkel.
And preferably a diesel. (no spark). Like the one in your picture I believe
Appreciate 3
      08-06-2023, 10:08 AM   #9
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoK View Post
First and most common tweak to go through water: a snorkel.
And preferably a diesel. (no spark). Like the one in your picture I believe
Yup, diesel, snorkel, lots of ground clearance, and quality/reliability on a scale BMW can only dream of.

Toyota + oil change every 6 months or 5,000 miles (whichever comes first) = vehicle forever.
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6728.50
      08-09-2023, 06:27 AM   #10
PhaceN52
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '06 E90 N52B30 US spec

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoK View Post
Porsches and lambo's do pretty well in that regard. Any car with a mid or rear engine does.
Not because the engine is that low, or even the air intake is that low, but the air intake is situated in the back, which means its located behind the bow wave and thus in much lower water.
It's the bow wave that sends all that water in the air intake in front engined cars. So if you want to wade through deep water with your front engined car, driving in reverse is the best thing to do.

Like I said, look up the rufford ford on youtube. hundreds of clips from different youtubers with all kinds of fails and you can make a whole study about how the water flows around cars going through too deep water. Some cars do unexpectedly well and some.....not so much

Rufford ford is now closed as it grew more and more a place where the local 4x4 club started to race through the water, which attracted huge crowds (lots of kids), but also started to cause dangerous situations, so the police acted on that.
The clips with ridiculously high water where people still think it's perfectly possible to cross were my favorite. So many cars totaled....

A BMW edition
Hydrolock kicked in yo!

edit: aaaah the rods solo at 23:20 in the first video...

Last edited by PhaceN52; 08-09-2023 at 06:40 AM..
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6728.50
      08-09-2023, 10:33 AM   #11
DrFerry
Field Marshal
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [5.25]
2015 BMW X5  [4.50]
The Rufford Mill Ford (U.K.) BMW Edition video is very telling. Besides these BMW owners being absolutely crazy stupid by driving through 3+ feet of water, they must think their own cars are some sort of mobile boat. Hydro-Locking the engine occurs on BMWs because the air inlet is low down in the front spoiler - mere inches from the ground. If you're driving a BMW - or for that matter most any "car" - don't drive through deep water. Water can also be sucked up in the exhaust pipe. Enough said. PS: Yes, even the X series BMW "SUVs" are sucking induction air in from the front spoiler inlet.
Attached Images

'08 E92 M3 DCT Melbourne Red/Bamboo Beige Leather/EDC/SSP Spec-R DCT clutch discs/SSP Pro-Gold DCT Fluid/Quaife LSD/3:45 Final Drive by Diffs Online/BE Bearings & ARP Bolts/Vibra Technics Engine Mounts/M3 World HFC X-Pipe/LUX H8 180/BPM Sport DCT Tune/PFC Z-Rated Pads/ECS Brass Brake Caliper Bushings/Alex Shop Solid Sub-frame Bushings/Motul 600/Tint
Appreciate 1
      08-09-2023, 10:48 AM   #12
Anderson11
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M4 Comp

For UK drivers BMW should add "submarine mode" to the Executive Package.

Last edited by Anderson11; 08-09-2023 at 11:02 AM..
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6728.50
      08-09-2023, 10:54 AM   #13
DrFerry
Field Marshal
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [5.25]
2015 BMW X5  [4.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anderson11 View Post
For UK drivers BMW should add "submarine mode" to the Executive Package. Stu
Perhaps.. it's one solution, but if they did then these types of crazy U.K. BMW owners would think they could drive underneath the polar ice caps like Red October. As Forest Gump once said, "stupid is as stupid does". Painful to watch those vids above.
'08 E92 M3 DCT Melbourne Red/Bamboo Beige Leather/EDC/SSP Spec-R DCT clutch discs/SSP Pro-Gold DCT Fluid/Quaife LSD/3:45 Final Drive by Diffs Online/BE Bearings & ARP Bolts/Vibra Technics Engine Mounts/M3 World HFC X-Pipe/LUX H8 180/BPM Sport DCT Tune/PFC Z-Rated Pads/ECS Brass Brake Caliper Bushings/Alex Shop Solid Sub-frame Bushings/Motul 600/Tint

Last edited by DrFerry; 08-09-2023 at 11:24 AM..
Appreciate 1
      08-09-2023, 02:59 PM   #14
Marcoose
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 sDrive35is

Weird. There's a small creek before the ranch. Now and then it's a bit high. With the old E85 Z4, wifey and I crossed it dozens and dozens of times, water easily to the wheel hub. Never ever had not even a single sputter.