F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition > Fitness Guru's Chime In Please - Help Needed
Studio RSR

12-22-2011, 10:08 PM   #1
Razzy
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: N/A

Fitness Guru's Chime In Please - Help Needed

Prerequisite Info:I am currently around 160lbs and am 5'7. This is the heaviest I've been in my entire life.

Goal: to reach about 145lbs again, like I was 6 months ago.

Situation: Due to my stupidity, for the past 3 months I only worked on my arms. Although I have made improvements in muscle and size, I have of course neglected my other muscles.

Now since I started I have GAINED weight. does this make sense? I used to be about 150lbs before I Started and until the past 4 weeks was 165lbs. Just this past 4 weeks did i realized that I have not really done any good by using the "some sort of weights/excercise is better than none" mentality and have implemented cardio (treadmill), simple toning exercises and such whilst massively reducing the amount of weights I do (arms).

What exercises do you guys recommend that I can do from home?

Now to make this even more interesting, I will be going through a major operation on my ear in exactly a month. After the operation I will not be able to do shit all for at least a few months when it comes to physical exercise. Hell jogging itself will be hard for me a couple months after the surgery.

Will this complete stop in exercise have a huge negative impact on my body? I presume my current muscles will go into atrophy but can that cause my body to store fat? Any other recommendations to speed up weight loss before my surgery?
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2011, 10:36 AM   #2
ErvGotti
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i 6MT

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.00]
Diet and exercise is key. If you dont have access to a gym try getting a hold of home workout programs like Insanity and P90x. I used insanity to shred 15 lbs before and is a good program if you stick with it.

If you dont feel like spending money for the programs you could try military type training which consists of Calisthenics and cardio. Push ups, abs ( sit up's flutter kicks, and mason twists), squats, lunges, planks and such. Do calisthenics for twenty minutes and then run for at least 30 mins. So about a 5k+ depending on how fast you are.

I also set workout goals when I worked out so that way I could keep pushing myself. It helped me stay motivated and not get bored and fall into monotiny.

You should lose a good amount of weight if your eating right and exercising. Eating right is also gonna be your key to maintaing you weight after the surgery. I weight 215lbs and shoot for 2000-2200 calories to maintain. At your weight you'd want to shoot for about 1700-1800 calories to lose weight and 2000 to maintain. Calorie counting works for me and I usually plan my meals for the week so that I can keep track of it.

As far as what I eat I dont really do anything crazy. I pratice portion control. I try to eat 5 servings of fruit and vegtables a day and I do the color thing with it. Like a variety carrots, brocolli, apples so I got the colors of orange, green, and red. I also snack on them instead of chips and cookies. I try not to buy chips and cookies so I have no choice but to snack on fruits and vegtables.

I try to get 10-15 grams of fiber daily. Most recommend 20, but it really upsets my gut when I try for that much. I recommend starting off slowly on the fiberous foods if your not used to it. It will wreak havoc on your gut if you try to eat to much to quickly.

This is what I used to lose 40lbs in about 3 months. I've always been a stocky kid and when I balloned up to 255 I had about enough. I'm at a healthy 215 right now and can probably lose 10 more lbs.

Good luck and you can PM me if you have any questions.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2011, 12:32 PM   #3
Razzy
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErvGotti View Post
Diet and exercise is key. If you dont have access to a gym try getting a hold of home workout programs like Insanity and P90x. I used insanity to shred 15 lbs before and is a good program if you stick with it.

If you dont feel like spending money for the programs you could try military type training which consists of Calisthenics and cardio. Push ups, abs ( sit up's flutter kicks, and mason twists), squats, lunges, planks and such. Do calisthenics for twenty minutes and then run for at least 30 mins. So about a 5k+ depending on how fast you are.

I also set workout goals when I worked out so that way I could keep pushing myself. It helped me stay motivated and not get bored and fall into monotiny.

You should lose a good amount of weight if your eating right and exercising. Eating right is also gonna be your key to maintaing you weight after the surgery. I weight 215lbs and shoot for 2000-2200 calories to maintain. At your weight you'd want to shoot for about 1700-1800 calories to lose weight and 2000 to maintain. Calorie counting works for me and I usually plan my meals for the week so that I can keep track of it.

As far as what I eat I dont really do anything crazy. I pratice portion control. I try to eat 5 servings of fruit and vegtables a day and I do the color thing with it. Like a variety carrots, brocolli, apples so I got the colors of orange, green, and red. I also snack on them instead of chips and cookies. I try not to buy chips and cookies so I have no choice but to snack on fruits and vegtables.

I try to get 10-15 grams of fiber daily. Most recommend 20, but it really upsets my gut when I try for that much. I recommend starting off slowly on the fiberous foods if your not used to it. It will wreak havoc on your gut if you try to eat to much to quickly.

This is what I used to lose 40lbs in about 3 months. I've always been a stocky kid and when I balloned up to 255 I had about enough. I'm at a healthy 215 right now and can probably lose 10 more lbs.

Good luck and you can PM me if you have any questions.
thanks for the reply and help. That's great how you were able to lose 40lbs in just 3 months. Also I am an avid coffee drinker, and have been for many many years. Could it be doing more harm than good at this point? I've heard that coffee saps the water in your body and as it is I don't drink nearly enough water as I should be. I think this too could have played a part in weight gain.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2011, 01:35 PM   #4
ErvGotti
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i 6MT

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzy View Post
thanks for the reply and help. That's great how you were able to lose 40lbs in just 3 months. Also I am an avid coffee drinker, and have been for many many years. Could it be doing more harm than good at this point? I've heard that coffee saps the water in your body and as it is I don't drink nearly enough water as I should be. I think this too could have played a part in weight gain.
Yeah I forgot to add that, drink about 1.5 to two gallons of water daily no matter if it's hot or cold outside. It's a pain in the winter cause I piss like every 30 mins but yeah you'll need to stay hydrated. As far as coffee I think 2 cups daily is fine maybe no more than 4. Just make sure to stay hydrated.

Staying motivated is key, lose the 10-15lbs before the surgery then be striengent in your eating habits while you cant workout to avoid getting fat again.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2011, 05:39 PM   #5
Razzy
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErvGotti View Post
Yeah I forgot to add that, drink about 1.5 to two gallons of water daily no matter if it's hot or cold outside. It's a pain in the winter cause I piss like every 30 mins but yeah you'll need to stay hydrated. As far as coffee I think 2 cups daily is fine maybe no more than 4. Just make sure to stay hydrated.

Staying motivated is key, lose the 10-15lbs before the surgery then be striengent in your eating habits while you cant workout to avoid getting fat again.
Thanks for the tip. Going to try my best to have as much water i can. I've always had a hard time consuming the recommended daily intake of water.

I am also curious as to whether i have thyroid because i've never really had a problem losing weight quick. Hell now it seems the harder i try the less weight i lose.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2011, 05:41 PM   #6
Quick6EF
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 Space Gray

Why would you ever want to be 145lbs at your height
      12-24-2011, 09:01 PM   #7
Razzy
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick6EF View Post
Why would you ever want to be 145lbs at your height
I guess the big problem I have right now is not so much any weight higher than 145, but in fact the fat I have on me.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2012, 08:53 AM   #8
smokinHawk
623lb puller
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 340I XDrive MT Black

ya, 145 seems skinny.
sounds like you just want to lose fat, but i would focus on building muscle.
heck I'm 180 now and feel sub par from where i was 190 (i'm 5'8") since i lost weight due to depression from my girl leaving, and going back to school where i cant work out and eat as much.
Im hoping to get back to 190 durring summer.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2012, 02:32 PM   #9
Razzy
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

154lbs now and have been doing a little bit more running/jogging on the treadmill.

I don't necessarily mind being 155 or 160, so long as I can get rid of some fat. That is my main issue.

When I was 145 i wasn't what you call skinny. More like average. Now I've 18 days left till my operation.
Appreciate 0