BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

European Auto Source (EAS)

08-08-2014, 03:04 PM   #705
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
Does the E46 M3 offer enough benefit over the E36 M3 to justify jumping into it?

P.S. On a serious note, but completely unrelated to this thread.... I've never liked the E36 to be honest. Nowhere as good looking as the rest. But damn it is fun. And cheap.
I don't like the E46. What does that make me? :P
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2014, 03:09 PM   #706
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Does the E46 M3 offer enough benefit over the E36 M3 to justify jumping into it?

P.S. On a serious note, but completely unrelated to this thread.... I've never liked the E36 to be honest. Nowhere as good looking as the rest. But damn it is fun. And cheap.
It was the '99 Estoril Blue E36 ///M3 that made me fall in love with BMW.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2014, 03:29 PM   #707
Rambler
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 996 Turbo; G80 M3; FJ80 LC

Quote:
I don't agree with that at all. His format is always the same (yes it includes drifts), but I think the recipe works.

Look at how he went through all the things that we'd care about, almost like a list.
- Steering: no feel, but likes it better than E92. Here's why
- Suspension: Planted, turn in great
- Sound: sounds almost like a 335d. Not as good as V8, but still great
- Power: torque
ect ect ect...

He does that with all cars. Starts off on the road, then goes to track. I mean, what else do you want from a reviewer?

Honestly, these reviews don't matter that much to me as I've already driven the car. I just think that Chris Harris does a great job describing what I'd be like to actually be driving the car. Unlike Jeremy Clarkson that does stupid sht for 10 mins, and then let's the Stig take it out for a lap --> that tells me absolutely nothing about a car.
Well, for comparison, after watching about 30 minutes of his E90 reviews, 1 on the Nordschleife and 1 comparo vs. Lexus and C63, I realized there is much missing from his current reviews, mainly a lot less discussion which I liked about these. Also, in all that time, there was about 7 seconds of drifting and it was basically done to see if the car could do it and yep, check. Then time to move on. I enjoyed his discussion of fit and finish, fine details, paint, etc.; explaining each corner of the Nord and how the car reacted through each (i.e. understeer/oversteer); it’s behavior in the rain; speed through each corner; traction; engine/chassis connection; lengthier discussion about the steering and where he felt it had weaknesses; and obviously engine characteristics. His on track driving exhibited his excellent driving skills in a professional racer way, vs. a Toykyo drifter contestant. The comparison vs. the other 2 cars in the 2nd video also helped to bring more perspective and why he picked the M over the other 2. Just felt there was more journalism and editorial content than in his review of the F80. I agree that he touched on the points you mentioned, but the discussion was fleeting at best.
Appreciate 0