BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

View Poll Results: KW Clubsport or Ohlin R&T?
KW Clubsport 82 42.93%
Ohlin R&T 109 57.07%
Voters: 191. You may not vote on this poll

11-28-2017, 01:09 AM   #67
snipersix
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Retired 2017 F87 M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukester View Post
It's pretty easy.
Pro for the KW Clubsport:
Camber plate and damper are a solid solution from one company.
No need to reinvent the wheel at that point with parts from 2 vendors which
could cause issues.

It depends on what you're driving.
For me the Clubsport spring rate is at the lowest level for track usage.
Why? It's a 110 front and 120 rear spring.

I'm running 160 or 180 springs in my M3 … but that car is not driven on the road
too much. Just from time to time to get to a track.

But the Oehlins has a 60! spring in the front and 120 in the rear.
What the heck?! This spring setup will cause massive body roll.
You can try to correct it by closing the compression dampening
to nearly max on the front but that's basically the wrong way.

The old KW Clubsport had 90 front and 120 rear and thanks god that
the new version has 110 and 120 rear for a better balance.
So 90 front was already to soft for the e92 M3 for the time to time
track driver.

But the 60 spring in the Oehlins … I don't get it and it explains why
people say that the Oehlins is perhaps even more comfortable than the stock
suspension.

KW:
http://docs.kwsuspension.de/ga-KWCS-...67_1119-13.pdf

Oehlins:
http://www.ohlins.eu/de/automotive/r.../BMS-MI40--15/

my2cents.
having said that about the KW clubsport, what setting would u recommend for someone who daily drives his car on not the best streets, ie. bumpy roads.
I know this is an m3 forum, but I am on the same dilemma on choosing KW Clubsport and Oehlins R&T for my m2.
2017 M2 Coupe:|Black Sapphire Metallic|DCT|Nav/Idrive|M Performance CF Spoiler|M Performance CF DCT Interior| M Performance Gloss Black Kidney Grills| M Performance Steel Pedals | Eventuri CF CAI | 19" Brixton Rims | KW V3 Clubsport |
Retired: |2008 328i Sedan|Montego Blue|
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2017, 05:09 AM   #68
Jesus E90 M3
Private First Class
Jordan
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

I have both! Using Ohlins ever since installed after the KW, will never go back, the comfort and smoothness of the Ohlins will let me sacrifice everything else, Yes its not the best for the track but the comfort tops everything. depends on your needs.
Daily = Ohlins
Track = KWcs
Appreciate 1
a5m612.50
      11-28-2017, 05:54 AM   #69
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by snipersix View Post
having said that about the KW clubsport, what setting would u recommend for someone who daily drives his car on not the best streets, ie. bumpy roads.
I know this is an m3 forum, but I am on the same dilemma on choosing KW Clubsport and Oehlins R&T for my m2.
If your car is daily driven and not a track weapon, and the roads are bad, it's a no brainer. Ohlins R/T. It will still be better than stock on track, but you can definitely feel that it's slightly undersprung for serious track work.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2017, 06:42 AM   #70
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

After pricing out some R&T they seem to be the same price point as Kw V3. Why are they compared vs the Clubsports?
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2017, 06:51 AM   #71
turbo_joe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
After pricing out some R&T they seem to be the same price point as Kw V3. Why are they compared vs the Clubsports?
I was wondering the same thing. The Clubsports are almost double the cost of the Ohlins R&T, the KW V3 is a closer comparison and it still a few hundred more.
      11-28-2017, 11:26 AM   #72
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep

Ohlins R/T is most often compared with KW V3, and imho, is definitely better than V3.

It's sometimes compared to the the KW Clubsport because the Ohlins is the best for for daily driver, and Clubsport is the best for a mainly track driven M3.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 08:22 AM   #73
pouk69
Registered
Rep
Drives: M3 e92 LCI

Hi guys, I am about to buy the Ohlins R&T set and I want to ask how stiff/stiffer is Ohlins compared to stock EDC dampers - when in the stiffest sport setting. Thanx
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2019, 06:10 PM   #74
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Can you order Ohlin's with stiffer springs?

Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2019, 10:54 AM   #75
slicer
Major General
Rep
Drives: 'E46 M3 Race Car, '23 X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
R&T are not made to order, custom kits. The PSI Ohlins TTX kits are made to order but you pay double to triple the price of R&T kits. You can always swap in aftermarket springs in stiffer spring rates onto an R&T kit. You can only go so far as the shock will not be valved properly for anything significantly stiffer.
'04 M3 - Fall Line Motorsports Built Race Car - S65 swap, Dry Sump, Bosch Stand-Alone ECU, Drenth Sequential Trans, MCS 3-Way, Flossmann Wide Body, Brembo Motorsports Brakes, Drexler LSD, BBS E88 Etc.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 1
aus889.50
      02-08-2019, 10:44 AM   #76
Ant Man
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Individual Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by pouk69 View Post
Hi guys, I am about to buy the Ohlins R&T set and I want to ask how stiff/stiffer is Ohlins compared to stock EDC dampers - when in the stiffest sport setting. Thanx

Starting with the springs first, the fronts are just over twice as stiff as OEM and the rears about 25% stiffer.

The dampers are fully adjustable. Mine are set 13 front and 11 rear from fully hard. I've had the car set up by a qualified chassis dynamacist (which includes the rake) and it's not only far more comfortable than the competition EDC dampers, it feels dynamically far superior, with regards to turn-in, grip and precision than in 'sport' setting.

Most professional damper manufacturers, build theirs damper so that their optimum performance is around the middle of their range of adjustment.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2019, 10:50 AM   #77
Ant Man
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Individual Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post

When I ordered mine back in 2016 this was an option though the R&T are designed as a package, where the springs and dampers are matched.

If you want a stiffer set up and greater choice of specific damping, Ohlins professional TTX range are probably the best in the world but likely suited to track driving only.
Appreciate 1
aus889.50
      02-08-2019, 11:58 AM   #78
dj_dub
IG: @dj_dub
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E90 M3 - SG/FR 6MT

Garage List
I've had the Ohlins R&T for a few years and love them. My car is a dual purpose street car and track car...so the Ohlins was a no brainer.

On the street I run the dampening at 8 front and rear which is very comfortable to me...the roads where I live and drive on aren't that bad honestly. At the track, like most people have mentioned, they're a little soft so I have to run the dampening at 1 or sometimes 0 (full stiff) front and rear. At those settings, even when running my R-comps, the Ohlins performs within my needs at the track.

IMG_9193 by dj_dub, on Flickr
CarboProject CF Plenum | Dinan CF Intake | ESS Tune | RKP X-Pipe | Akra w/CF Tips | MFactory CF DS | CSF Cooling | AST 5200 | Hotchkis F/R Sways | SPL/Ground Control/Fall-Line Arms | DEFIV Diff Brace | StudioRSR Rollcage | 3-piece BBS RT88 | Michelin PS4S | Brembos F/R | Recaro Profi SPG XL | CAE Ultra Shifter | Perf Elec Wheel V2 | BAVSOUND | GT4 CF Front Lip/Canards/Rear Wing | Arkym CF Rear Diffuser | Forcewerkz CF SS | Varis CF Lower Tray | Turner Skidplate | BayOptiks Headlights
Appreciate 3
aus889.50
Timujin351.50
Montaver2164.00
      02-08-2019, 05:19 PM   #79
Timujin
Major
Rep
Drives: GMC Sierra

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [0.00]
Picked up a set of R&T. I haven't installed them yet. More to come.
      12-06-2021, 01:31 PM   #80
e9x_m3
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M3

Anyone from Vancouver, BC, Canada run either of these setups? Would love to hear your feedback based on the roads out here! There are some bumpy areas but not too bad and also the highway is pretty smooth in general.. and what other supporting mods they've done to make these setups livable? (i.e. sway bars, end links, control arms, etc.) for adjustability as well?

Last edited by e9x_m3; 12-06-2021 at 01:32 PM.. Reason: Additional questions
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2021, 06:21 PM   #81
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e9x_m3 View Post
Anyone from Vancouver, BC, Canada run either of these setups? Would love to hear your feedback based on the roads out here! There are some bumpy areas but not too bad and also the highway is pretty smooth in general.. and what other supporting mods they've done to make these setups livable? (i.e. sway bars, end links, control arms, etc.) for adjustability as well?
Any mods to a stock suspension will make it harsher, not less. If you're worried about ride comfort then Ohlins R/T is the best choice for you.
Appreciate 1
meko178.50
      12-06-2021, 10:51 PM   #82
e9x_m3
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd View Post
Any mods to a stock suspension will make it harsher, not less. If you're worried about ride comfort then Ohlins R/T is the best choice for you.
Yeah strongly considering gong that route.. would just want the best that's available. I'll probably just do the vorshlag camber plates and swift springs package in combination with the ohlins!

Was wondering what others did to help make the car handle on the back roads even better
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2021, 11:11 PM   #83
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Yeah strongly considering gong that route.. would just want the best that's available. I'll probably just do the vorshlag camber plates and swift springs package in combination with the ohlins!

Was wondering what others did to help make the car handle on the back roads even better
Might as well just get the Ohlins Dedicated Track kit which comes with Swift springs to your specs, specially valved DFV dampers, and Vorshlag plates anodized in Ohlins gold.

Also check out my rear sphericals conversion thread. That really changed the behavior and control of the rear end.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2021, 08:32 AM   #84
e9x_m3
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Might as well just get the Ohlins Dedicated Track kit which comes with Swift springs to your specs, specially valved DFV dampers, and Vorshlag plates anodized in Ohlins gold.

Also check out my rear sphericals conversion thread. That really changed the behavior and control of the rear end.
Thanks! Yeah I'll definitely check that out
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2021, 12:18 PM   #85
e9x_m3
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:

I won't be going to the track I don't think and if I ever do it will just be once or twice a year. I'm thinking I'll just go with the regular ohlins road and track with the upgraded swift springs and the vorschlag camber plates since it will mostly see regular driving and back roads!

What do you think? I've found a pretty good lead on a regular set of ohlins but with the camber plates and upgraded swift springs the total comes out to just a little below the KW clubsport kit..
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2021, 07:16 PM   #86
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I won't be going to the track I don't think and if I ever do it will just be once or twice a year. I'm thinking I'll just go with the regular ohlins road and track with the upgraded swift springs and the vorschlag camber plates since it will mostly see regular driving and back roads!.
We have the same usage profile. My car is daily driven. So it's 99% street and mountain roads with 1-2 trackdays a year. The rear spherical conversion is not too hard for street driving paired with Ohlins R/T. In fact I feel its perfect. Firmer than stock with better body control but at the same time less harsh than stock/EDC over rough stuff or potholes. I have stock springs on the R/T and with damping dialed up to 3 and sphericals/monoballs I don't find it undersprung for track either.

If you haven't done solid rear subframe bushings that is also a must. It totally transforms the chassis even if you change nothing else.

I did most my suspension mods in stages over 5 years so I could feel the differences each mod made. I wrote a detailed review here:

https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1697321

Last edited by Redd; 12-07-2021 at 07:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2021, 12:00 PM   #87
GeorgeA
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:

Get this setup, but don’t get swift springs. They will only make the ride more uncomfortable for your needs. Stick to the springs the Ohlins come with since the damper is valved for that rate. I run them in bumpy LA and it’s livable - I would not want anything stiffer. You can easily adjust the stiffness with the shock.

As far as the camber plate - get it if you plan on tracking a lot. With the pins pulled, you can get about -1.8 front camber which is good for daily driving and occasional track. I use this setup and post some fast times at our local track and the car is pretty streetable.
Appreciate 1
meko178.50