F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > 2015 C63 Drops Some More Camo/Differently Styled, More Powerful "S" Model Confirmed
proTUNING Freaks

04-04-2014, 10:02 PM   #67
positiveions
Lieutenant General
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 19 Tacoma, 16 Golf wagon

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ybbiz34 View Post
No, not in person. I had a Le Mans Blue '10 M Sport 335i.

Judging by the photos, Mystic Blue is a bit brighter.
Looks beautiful.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2014, 09:40 AM   #68
The Automotive Enthusiast
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S5 Coupe

Weight is of no concern(to me) who will primarily be using the car as a daily driver, and because the S model is going to have a twin turbo V8 pushing in excess of 500 hp.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucBroDude View Post
TRAITOR.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2014, 01:58 PM   #69
ybbiz34
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 330i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev ///Me View Post
Weight is of no concern(to me) who will primarily be using the car as a daily driver, and because the S model is going to have a twin turbo V8 pushing in excess of 500 hp.
Power - the great equalizer. That said, the W205 will definitely be cutting some weight (a nice bonus). Should make for an even wilder ride.
Gone: '18 W205 C43 Sedan
Gone: '13 W204 C63 Sedan
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2014, 02:02 PM   #70
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Power - the great equalizer. That said, the W205 will definitely be cutting some weight (a nice bonus). Should make for an even wilder ride.
I hope it's a significant amount of weight, and not something like 20 pounds like the M3/M4 with driver and fluids.
Quote:
TRAITOR.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2014, 06:56 PM   #71
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...-amg-spy-shots
Quote:
TRAITOR.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2014, 09:01 PM   #72
ybbiz34
Brigadier General
Rep

I like it. Reveal should be coming soon.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2014, 09:14 PM   #73
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep

New York Auto Show. The 18th can't come soon enough!
Quote:
TRAITOR.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2014, 09:19 PM   #74
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
i've always liked Benzes....but have never seen one i would consider buying....til NOW. that C63 looks like the business. I just wish it didn't come with a slushbox........like most Benzes do. ick.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2014, 11:21 PM   #75
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post
i've always liked Benzes....but have never seen one i would consider buying....til NOW. that C63 looks like the business. I just wish it didn't come with a slushbox........like most Benzes do. ick.
It's not a slushbox. The AMG's have a wet clutch pack, no torque converter.
Quote:
TRAITOR.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2014, 04:56 AM   #76
Soorena
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M3 6MT

Garage List
I hate Mercedes' new design language and this one is no exception. Proportion is off. Both the front and rear end look too melty. The current C63 looks far more classier and Benz-ish.

Quote:
It's not a slushbox. The AMG's have a wet clutch pack, no torque converter.
MCT acts more like a torque converter than anything else.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2014, 06:41 AM   #77
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soorena View Post
I hate Mercedes' new design language and this one is no exception. Proportion is off. Both the front and rear end look too melty. The current C63 looks far more classier and Benz-ish.

MCT acts more like a torque converter than anything else.
It's essentially the same gearbox that you see on motorcycles, and the Lamborghini Avenatador and Pagani Huayra. Same concept. I'm guessing those act like regular auto box's with a torque converter too.
Quote:
TRAITOR.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2014, 08:01 AM   #78
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
I hope it's a significant amount of weight, and not something like 20 pounds like the M3/M4 with driver and fluids.
BS

Quote:
It's essentially the same gearbox that you see on motorcycles, and the Lamborghini Avenatador and Pagani Huayra. Same concept. I'm guessing those act like regular auto box's with a torque converter too.
nope, not at all. the MCT is a regular auto with a wet clutch in place of the torque converter. the ISR is a single clutch racing transmission, much like SMG or the old F1 Ferrari gearboxes of the past. they do not work the same at all. one is an automated manual, the other is based on a traditional automatic.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/techy-g...d-isr-gearbox/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7G-Tronic
      04-08-2014, 10:28 AM   #79
Soorena
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
You are mixing automated clutch transmissions with torque converters and sequential transmissions. All those mentioned cars have automated clutches. They are essentially manual transmissions with a pump that is in control of clutch. The MCT doesn't sit in this category. It behaves like a torque convertor as it should because even though it has clutches instead of TC, more or less it follows the same philosophy.

As for the motorcycles and race cars, they have sequential gearboxes also known as dog boxes. Basically think of dog box as a regular manual transmission that has far fewer less parts with gears that are differently angled. That enables the rider to upshift without using the clutch by just lifting off the throttle and shifting. For downshift or putting into gear from neutral though (some can downshift clutchless too) you have to press clutch.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2014, 12:49 PM   #80
ybbiz34
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
The MCT doesn't sit in this category. It behaves like a torque convertor as it should because even though it has clutches instead of TC, more or less it follows the same philosophy.
The MCT isn't as good (i.e., not as quick when responding to either upshift or downshift commands) as BMW's DCT in M Mode.

That doesn't mean it's slow or a bad transmission. The DCT is a fantastic transmission that deserves to be mentioned in the same breath as Audi's DSG and Porsche's PDK.

What's impressive about the MCT is the fact that MB built it in house. Furthermore, the automatic modes (C, S, and S+) are brilliant. In S and S+, you get rev matching on downshifts and great responsiveness. The transmission's automatic modes are every bit as good as those associated with the ZF 8-speed "Sport Auto." that I had in my old F30 (and I loved that transmission).

I've found that C Mode is more comfortable/less jerky around town than the comparable/respective mode found with the DCT.

Most importantly, the MCT-equipped cars don't suffer quite as much power loss as the cars equipped with the old torque converter-equipped automatic transmissions.

They've also ripped off slightly but noticeably quicker 0-60 times and 1/4 mile times than the pre-MCT cars.

Finally, the Race Start feature made possible by the MCT is nice to have around. It's simple to use and consistent.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2014, 01:55 PM   #81
Soorena
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
The MCT isn't as good (i.e., not as quick when responding to either upshift or downshift commands) as BMW's DCT in M Mode.

That doesn't mean it's slow or a bad transmission. The DCT is a fantastic transmission that deserves to be mentioned in the same breath as Audi's DSG and Porsche's PDK.

What's impressive about the MCT is the fact that MB built it in house. Furthermore, the automatic modes (C, S, and S+) are brilliant. In S and S+, you get rev matching on downshifts and great responsiveness. The transmission's automatic modes are every bit as good as those associated with the ZF 8-speed "Sport Auto." that I had in my old F30 (and I loved that transmission).

I've found that C Mode is more comfortable/less jerky around town than the comparable/respective mode found with the DCT.

Most importantly, the MCT-equipped cars don't suffer quite as much power loss as the cars equipped with the old torque converter-equipped automatic transmissions.

They've also ripped off slightly but noticeably quicker 0-60 times and 1/4 mile times than the pre-MCT cars.

Finally, the Race Start feature made possible by the MCT is nice to have around. It's simple to use and consistent.
They are definitely not as fast as dual clutches, hell even they are not on par with the old SMG III. However, the beauty of these transmissions and the-now-standard-of-the-world ZF 8HP is the smoothness of them. I had a DCT equipped car at one point, and one of my friends had a MCT car. Compared to the MCT, the DCT just blew in town. Even though it wasn't as jerky as the old neck-snapping SMGs in my M6, it was still far from being a smooth operating unit such as the MCT (Though i find the old 7G units better than the MCT in daily use). The Getrag in my Ferrari is the most refined non torque converter AT i've ever driven, however in heavy traffics with lots of start and stop situation, you quickly become annoyed.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2014, 02:58 PM   #82
ybbiz34
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
They are definitely not as fast as dual clutches, hell even they are not on par with the old SMG III. However, the beauty of these transmissions and the-now-standard-of-the-world ZF 8HP is the smoothness of them. I had a DCT equipped car at one point, and one of my friends had a MCT car. Compared to the MCT, the DCT just blew in town. Even though it wasn't as jerky as the old neck-snapping SMGs in my M6, it was still far from being a smooth operating unit such as the MCT (Though i find the old 7G units better than the MCT in daily use). The Getrag in my Ferrari is the most refined non torque converter AT i've ever driven, however in heavy traffics with lots of start and stop situation, you quickly become annoyed.
Yep, your observations are absolutely consistent with what I've experienced as well! The only difference would be that I'm a bit fonder of the MCT than the old 7G transmission. Maybe it is because I have a '13 MY car. Perhaps the MCT's software has improved/been refined over the years.

Although I haven't experienced the Getrag in the Ferrari, I would definitely like to!

I recall riding in one of the DCT-equipped M3s when they first debuted. My friend let me drive the car and then we switched. He was creeping away from a stop at a light (transmission was set to one of the more aggressive automatic modes) and the car just started surging and bucking violently as he would lift off the pedal and then try to tap it to smooth it out. I remember screaming out, "Grab a shift! Or something!"
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2014, 09:34 PM   #83
Tonymiabmw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Nardo F90 M5 on order

Quote:
Originally Posted by ybbiz34
Quote:
Yep, your observations are absolutely consistent with what I've experienced as well! The only difference would be that I'm a bit fonder of the MCT than the old 7G transmission. Maybe it is because I have a '13 MY car. Perhaps the MCT's software has improved/been refined over the years.

Although I haven't experienced the Getrag in the Ferrari, I would definitely like to!

I recall riding in one of the DCT-equipped M3s when they first debuted. My friend let me drive the car and then we switched. He was creeping away from a stop at a light (transmission was set to one of the more aggressive automatic modes) and the car just started surging and bucking violently as he would lift off the pedal and then try to tap it to smooth it out. I remember screaming out, "Grab a shift! Or something!"
You guys know the DCT is Getrag right?
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2014, 12:26 AM   #84
ybbiz34
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonymiabmw View Post
You guys know the DCT is Getrag right?
I never said it wasn't.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2014, 11:42 AM   #85
MediaArtist
There is No Substitute
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi A6, 997 GT3 RS, E90 335i

Quote:

He was creeping away from a stop at a light (transmission was set to one of the more aggressive automatic modes) and the car just started surging and bucking violently as he would lift off the pedal and then try to tap it to smooth it out. I remember screaming out, "Grab a shift! Or something!"
Ha. Had this same experience in an E92 M3 with DCT. Scared the s*** out of me when it happened just accelerating out of a parking lot.

Honestly, I know we have to live with them, but I hate all the manu-tronic slush boxes. No offense to slush box lovers here, but rowing gears with a 6MT is just too fun and intoxicating.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2014, 12:16 PM   #86
ybbiz34
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MediaArtist View Post
Ha. Had this same experience in an E92 M3 with DCT. Scared the s*** out of me when it happened just accelerating out of a parking lot.

Honestly, I know we have to live with them, but I hate all the manu-tronic slush boxes. No offense to slush box lovers here, but rowing gears with a 6MT is just too fun and intoxicating.
Yeah it was definitely an unpleasant experience but with the more recent DCT-equipped cars, I never experienced that type of rodeo ride again.

And agreed about the satisfaction a 6MT setup can deliver.

I'm guilty of liking both though. I like the "set it and forget it" aspect of the DCT/MCT/Sport Auto. transmissions of the world when it comes to commuting. I also like how precise/quick the upshifts and downshifts are in the more aggressive automatic modes. When I want to have some fun, I've got the paddles.

That said, you can't beat the involvement of a 6MT car when all you want is fun. I'm glad I have access to one to keep me from getting rusty.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2014, 02:11 PM   #87
ybbiz34
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I think you're in for a treat on the new C-Class. I just got done reading a new review about the standard models (the article was in hard copy) and they raved about how outstanding the interior was.

I'll post the quote later, but to paraphrase, the reviewer said that some of the materials and features in the car were better than what you would find in the new S-Class. He went on to say there's almost no need for you to splurge on the E or S now (unless you need the extra room).
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2014, 09:22 AM   #88
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I think you're in for a treat on the new C-Class. I just got done reading a new review about the standard models (the article was in hard copy) and they raved about how outstanding the interior was.

I'll post the quote later, but to paraphrase, the reviewer said that some of the materials and features in the car were better than what you would find in the new S-Class. He went on to say there's almost no need for you to splurge on the E or S now (unless you need the extra room).
I'm anxiously waiting. The days are passing by too slowly.
Quote:
TRAITOR.
Appreciate 0