F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > New Audi commercials take not so subtle dig at BMW
proTUNING Freaks

02-19-2010, 09:59 AM   #133
ukrandriy89
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F10 535xi

SorrY Audi

too bad 335i can take the audi s4 hands down. sorry audi, keep trying.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2010, 10:40 AM   #134
vladberca
Major General
Romania
Rep
Drives: '18 octavia 2.0 tdi dsg

@ footie: X3 will be built on a new platform and due to this reason I supose it will have a big plus in terms of handling and sporty character... I bet that it will be better than Q5 (let s say both are equiped with the 3.0l diesel engine!) and will also have some options from its facelifted big brother X5...
The 6 series will be built on F10 5 series platform and will also have some new "goodies" integrated... Especially if it s refined by M!!!
Finally, everyone will buy the car which fits perfectly to its needs
I'm just sure that my next car will be a beemer
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2010, 10:55 AM   #135
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by vladberca View Post
@ footie: X3 will be built on a new platform and due to this reason I supose it will have a big plus in terms of handling and sporty character... I bet that it will be better than Q5 (let s say both are equiped with the 3.0l diesel engine!) and will also have some options from its facelifted big brother X5...
The 6 series will be built on F10 5 series platform and will also have some new "goodies" integrated... Especially if it s refined by M!!!
Finally, everyone will buy the car which fits perfectly to its needs
I'm just sure that my next car will be a beemer
I know quite a bit about the new X3 as I do on all future models, but based on past history this new one will have to buck the trend if it will offer a decent ride to compliment it's undoubtably great handling.

Regarding the M6, a close on 30 second improvement would be one serious achievement considering Porsche, Ferrari nor any other are capable of such a turn around. No doubting it will be great as all M cars are but it's no supercar and that is what makes all the difference and allows one brand to charge to earth (and get it) while the other couldn't possibly ask that much.

I actually don't agree with this types of ads but they do achieve the desired results and that's what courts.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2010, 12:06 PM   #136
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

I think what would have been funny is if they had a shot of BMW coupe (hazards on) with a guy standing near it on the cell phone. The shot starts with the guy muttering the words "Fuel pump is out again" as an A5 or whatever drives by catching his eye.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2010, 12:21 PM   #137
domobrown
Banned
Austria
Rep
Drives: Audi RS5 S-Tronic

I enjoy these commercials actually. Quite hilarious. Then I use my V10 to break my Audi spell
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2010, 01:09 PM   #138
Evice
Major
Rep
Drives: E92M3

Before flamethrower's belch on my face, want to say that I grow up with bmw's, never will stop having at least one in my garage.

But being Devil's Advocate here.

Audi has a super car, BMW do not. Audi has a superior AWD, BMW do no..may be

Sad face
      02-19-2010, 01:42 PM   #139
Matski
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: A slow BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evice View Post
Before flamethrower's belch on my face, want to say that I grow up with bmw's, never will stop having at least one in my garage.

But being Devil's Advocate here.

Audi has a super car, BMW do not. Audi has a superior AWD, BMW do no..may be

Sad face
The whole supercar thing is getting thin... yes Audi have the badly proptioned, predictable looking poor relation to the Lamboghini somethingorother, and yes I'd like BMW to have a similar vehicle in their range. But the fact that Audi have the R8, does not make the A1, A3, A4, A5, A6 or A8 better cars, and if BMW had an "M" supercar I wouldn't all of a sudden go "oh, the X1, actually now I look again, it's not actually biatch fugly at all..!". When it comes to building a brand, supercars are mostly superficial.

And as far as the Drivetrain goes... IMO BMW have an answer to quattro with xDrive.... Audi has no answer to RWD.... and guess which I prefer!
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2010, 01:47 PM   #140
jrah
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340d

Yes Audis are built well but so are BMW, for the true driving experience you cannot beat RWD
      02-19-2010, 03:33 PM   #141
Bobble
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Whatever POS the wife leaves

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW328_ View Post
I'd rather have a Hyundai than a toyota
Ever owned one? If you had that should change your mind, I bought my daughter a Hyundai, POS had it lemoned and a Scion no problems 60K on the clock and beat like a borrowed horse by my daughter.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2010, 03:35 PM   #142
Jack28
HUSTLER
Rep
Drives: E46 M3-E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimk View Post
Audi: Your move BMW
BMW: Checkmate
Love that Poster...

E92 M3 ZCP- AW/FR w/Extended Leather) Packages: ZCP, 6MT, Fully Loaded
E46 M3 - AW/IR 6 Spd, Fully Loaded. 19'' BBS LM DBK, V-CSL C/F Bmpr, Botld, Diff, V-CSL Custum IR-CF Center Counsel, V-GTR Hood, Dixis Ti 76mm, Meisterschaft Ti Sec. 1&2, EvoSport Headers, CAI, D/A Chip, tck d/a, Alcantera Headliner with Imola Red Sttitching....
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2010, 03:50 PM   #143
footie
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matski View Post
The whole supercar thing is getting thin... yes Audi have the badly proptioned, predictable looking poor relation to the Lamboghini somethingorother, and yes I'd like BMW to have a similar vehicle in their range. But the fact that Audi have the R8, does not make the A1, A3, A4, A5, A6 or A8 better cars, and if BMW had an "M" supercar I wouldn't all of a sudden go "oh, the X1, actually now I look again, it's not actually biatch fugly at all..!". When it comes to building a brand, supercars are mostly superficial.
To regard the R8 as a poor relation to the Lambo is really underselling the achievement Audi have done with this car, in so many ways it's superior to the Gallardo, the 525hp R8 is as benign as a basic Cayman and just as comfortable, something that few if any other supercar is capable of repeating. But as with the M3 this doesn't mean all Audi are equally amazing, it just means that they can make a bloody decent supercar but sadly it bares no similarities with the rest of it's range.

Trying to be completely objective here I'm of the opinion that Audi had about eight outstanding models in the range, the TT-S and TT-RS, the S4 and S5SB, the entire Q5 range, the RS6 and the new A8, oh and last but by no means least the R8. BMW have at least this much if not more but in my opinion they don't currently have an answer for these particular Audis, the Z4 while good it isn't nearly as good as either TT, the 335i isn't the match of the S4 and it's debateable whether the new 335is has the answer to the S4. BMW don't have a RS6 rival as yet but I am sure the new M5 will be superior based on the ordinary 5 series. As for the Q5, sorry guys but the X3 isn't in the same league and while I am in no doubt the new one will be a vast improvement I feel the ride quality will still be it's downfall. Then there's the A8, the 7 series is nicer to look at but it doesn't hold a candle when you look inside both cars, in this the A8 has no equal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matski View Post
And as far as the Drivetrain goes... IMO BMW have an answer to quattro with xDrive.... Audi has no answer to RWD.... and guess which I prefer!
Have driven both awd systems extensively I don't think that x-Drive is as good overall, it is less predictable and slower to react. But you are right that Audi don't have an answer to rwd ...... well actually quattro is their answer but then it won't suit everyone.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2010, 03:56 PM   #144
footie
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Railgun View Post
How so?

How many of owners here take advantage of RWD, eg...again...on track. Day to day, normal, city or highway driving has nothing to do with the driving wheels. Unless you're breaking the wheels loose often, and know how to handle it, RWD would be the worst option for the vast majority of drivers.
No disagreement from me. In fact the best setup for the vast majority is fwd because it reacts to inexperienced driver best, i.e. Oh shit moment when 95% of people either lift the throttle or hit the brake just tightens the line, just what the doctor ordered.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2010, 04:50 PM   #145
vladberca
Major General
Romania
Rep
Drives: '18 octavia 2.0 tdi dsg

Can t wait the launch of the new X3 and a comparative test vs Q5... Test done by germans!
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2010, 05:11 PM   #146
footie
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by vladberca View Post
Can t wait the launch of the new X3 and a comparative test vs Q5... Test done by germans!
Actually I would prefer it to be conducted in the UK as German roads are among the smoothest.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2010, 06:13 PM   #147
am_ver
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi A6

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
Maybe BMW can have an ad for the 335i that says: "The HPHP will probably fail, but what the hell. nobody's perfect"

CA
LOL... that was pretty funny!!

Having owned both, I must say that Audi is a brand on the rise. Bimmers are fun to drive, but they are much more expensive. Things like fold down rear seats, leather, front heated seats are options - and so is xdrive. My Audi might only feel slightly less fun (and maybe thats only because I moved down from a 335i with 300hp to the 3.2 liter engine with 255hp in the Audi), but I am satisfied with it. The Quattro suits my lifestyle (skiing) and I can use a car that can seat 4 comfortably.

We have an X3 as well - the interior of the A6 feels much better.
My reaction was similar when I saw the ad the first time - but then said - 'I guess its an ad, and thats what they must say to promote their brand'; they are just highlighting what 'Car and Driver' tested and put in their mag.

2008 e93 335i, 6sp MT, Montego Blue, Saddle, Burl, ZSP, Bluetooth, iDrive, PDC, V1+CD
2007 e92 335i coupe, 6sp MT, Montego, Beige, ZPP, iDrive, PDC
2006 e90 325i, ZPP, iDrive, Arctic, Xenon
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2010, 08:28 PM   #148
Matski
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: A slow BMW

Quote:
How so?

How many of owners here take advantage of RWD, eg...again...on track. Day to day, normal, city or highway driving has nothing to do with the driving wheels. Unless you're breaking the wheels loose often, and know how to handle it, RWD would be the worst option for the vast majority of drivers.
My car is 27 years old, it has NO driver aids, breaking rear wheel traction is a frequent, and most pleasurable occurance. If the majority of people cannot handle this.. then.. that's not the cars fault! Using the accelerator to orient the car through corners is half the fun. We keep getting snow here in the UK, and guess what, my '83 520i rear wheel drive car has not yet let me down. AWD is over-rated, and Fronttrak (or whatever its called -it was offered on the last A8.. pahhhh HA HA HHA HAAAAH HAAA HAAH HA HAHAH AH).. is still FWD.

Which BMW beats which Audi, and vice versa, is largely subjective these days, there are no bad cars in either line-up - and despite Audi's autospies flamewar type attempt at creating publicity I think that majority of the BUYERS (not fanboys) will HOPEFULLY ignore this current round of crap advertisments, and buy the car that better suits their needs.

My need is Rear wheel drive, my need is Bavarian, my need is JOY!... yes I grin like a twat sometimes, when my car makes me happy... yes... my need is BMW!
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2010, 11:00 PM   #149
///Mikey F80
Aspiring Hoonigan...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 ///M3 [MW|CB]

Garage List
Quote:

Third, I'm not a fan boy of anything. Believe it or not, some of us are actually objective as well as subjective and don't need someone else's approval.
Funny thing is I'm not either. I could really care less what you or really any one else thinks about me. I originally looked at a new S4. It was nice yes, but not as good in my opinion as the BMW I drove. It was just my opinion, and an opinion I stand by. Posting what I posted wasn't being a fanboy, it was just pointing out that you're saying Audi is the better car, when you own a BMW, and are on a BMW enthusiast/fanboy website. It didn't make sense to me, that's all. I wasn't attacking you or your judgement, because like I said, I could really care less...

Now that I know your situation, I understand, but you were coming off as a fan boy of Audi. And I hate stubborn, ignorant people aka fan boys.

"It's a yobbo, yobbo, yobbo... But we like that in an M3 don't we?"
-Chris Harris
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2010, 09:27 AM   #150
ENINTY
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyPe-ZeRo View Post
So true. It's even more sad that Audi's lineup mimics BMW's EXACTLY.

BMW is truly the benchmark. :]
So I work in Herndon Virginia near the Volkswagon/Audi headquarters building. On occasion I get in traffic with an Audi wearing "HQ" Virgina plates, so I know the driver works at Audi. Oh the fun I have outdriving the Audi fanboys...
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2010, 01:33 PM   #151
Paramedic
Paramedics, Busting our ass saving yours !
Canada
Rep
Drives: 07 328xi

Not to be an ass folks, but drive a stock 335xi compared to a similarly equipped, similarly priced Audi S4. The S4 wins so easily it's saddening. It's the reason why I got one, even though I'm the biggest BMW "fanboy", Audi's car was better. BMW needs to care for xi owners as much as RWD owners. It's possible to have a performance-oriented AWD sports luxury sedan and Audi proved it.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2010, 03:34 PM   #152
juicymoose
juicymoose
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i Prem/Sport/Blk/Blk

Quote:
Originally Posted by HermesRider View Post
Don't forget about Pontiac! Haha, I'll never forget that commercial... "Yeah, I looked at BMW, but I chose Bonneville instead!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MERCSUk153 View Post
That American execs shouldn't be selling cars with that commercial. They should be selling whatever they were smoking.
ROFL +1
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2010, 04:13 PM   #153
bavarian19
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

Competition can only lead to a better BMW.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2010, 07:59 PM   #154
henryyxyu
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: YXZ

seems like audi likes to take the american approach of advertising (ie. comparing their cars to other companies, like how ford and gmc brags about how their car gets better mpg than the competitors).
Appreciate 0