F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Mental health
GetBMWParts

07-28-2022, 10:19 PM   #23
Our03z4
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW Z4 3.0si Coupe,

You could always try DMT, there are some legal places out west you can go to. Supposedly it's a life changing experience, usually in a good way. Listen to some podcast on it, think there even was a TED talk done about it. I've thought about it but decided it wouldn't be a good idea for me.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2022, 02:06 AM   #24
Bingham
Private
Rep
Drives: 19 M2C LBB AA midpipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Our03z4 View Post
You could always try DMT, there are some legal places out west you can go to. Supposedly it's a life changing experience, usually in a good way. Listen to some podcast on it, think there even was a TED talk done about it. I've thought about it but decided it wouldn't be a good idea for me.
…there’s something here with these treatment types.

Absolutely fascinating:

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-r...gain-about-lsd

4 parter on Netflix…worth a watch me thinks.

B.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2022, 06:26 AM   #25
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

Some times the body follows the mind and sometimes the mind follows the body.

Our society just went through another paradigm shifting experience - so things are different.

God may be trying to get your attention - if you don't have a spiritual life - now is a great time to start one. Try downloading the proverbs or verse a day app and read it in the morning before your day starts, this is one way God speaks to us.

Lots of water - summer in FL is hot, hydrate a lot - even if you don't feel like drinking something. The summer months here are great for taking it easy… just keep in mind that most of the locals go vacation elsewhere while the state receives an influx of tourists - so you might be feeling like a stranger in your own city during the summer.

Break a sweat every day, 30 mins weights and cardio - no excuses.

Get in touch with your inner child. This is a journey and an important one. But try imagining your adult self talking to your child self - ask the inner child what it wants to do today or what it wants you change or do differently.

You live in Gods waiting room - don't let the fact that you're surrounded by the elderly make you cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 4
Tommy-G4497.50
paquet629.50
2000cs3507.00
Bingham276.00
      07-29-2022, 09:47 AM   #26
paquet
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport etc

I like what Alfisti said - even though he's grumbly

that and everything else you folks said just made me reflect that to have the time to post here means you're doing pretty good.
it's all too easy to focus on what you don't have and forget what one does have.

pretty much a "there, but for the grace of God, go I" scenario...
Appreciate 4
cmyx6go15771.50
Tommy-G4497.50
2000cs3507.00
Bingham276.00
      07-29-2022, 01:01 PM   #27
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep

80% of the worlds population eat insects

Quote:
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2022, 01:24 PM   #28
F30lolz
I can haz cheezburger?
Rep
Drives: 14 Sahara/08 335xi/22 Maverick

Garage List
To stay sane I need to travel frequently. Was just in TX for about 8-9 days. Shuttle between Miami and Indiana constantly as well as NY.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2022, 01:30 PM   #29
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaorange View Post
80% of the worlds population eat insects
And…?
Appreciate 1
      07-29-2022, 01:58 PM   #30
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i; Kia EV6 GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy-G View Post
I know we have touched on it but what are you all doing to stay sane these days?
Are you feeling like things are just different these days?

I love my job, my wife and I get along good but man I just feel like a pile of poop. I live in what I think is one of the most beautiful spots around and I just feel extra blah lately and I can’t seem to snap out of it. 48 years and I have never had my mental state rule my like it is now.
in my 40s and hit the lowest 6 mnths in my life 9 mnths ago

reason - stress, from juggling too many balls

i did some research into this

discovered there are 3 dudes in 1 body

conscious me - not the brain
subconscious - ie the brain!
something else - ?soul ?spirit

when i was disturbed it wasn't me, it was a sick brain
(just like if you sprained your knee)

praying for the spirit was only half the answer

i had to treat the brain like how you'd nurse a sprained knee
Appreciate 2
Tommy-G4497.50
Bingham276.00
      07-29-2022, 02:02 PM   #31
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i; Kia EV6 GT

book recommendation - warning - long and repetitive but it helped me understand my brain like it's another body part, and umm ... yeah not sure but here it is

don't take everything word for word, i didn't do anything it said to do

but it helped me see that my conscious mind wasn't the problem, it was the solution to nurse the subconscious brain back to health

The End of Mental Illness by Daniel Amen (a psychiatrist who disagress with all other psychiatrists)
Appreciate 3
Tommy-G4497.50
Bingham276.00
      07-29-2022, 02:55 PM   #32
Tommy-G
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 435 Vert Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by G80M4 View Post
in my 40s and hit the lowest 6 mnths in my life 9 mnths ago

reason - stress, from juggling too many balls

i did some research into this

discovered there are 3 dudes in 1 body

conscious me - not the brain
subconscious - ie the brain!
something else - ?soul ?spirit

when i was disturbed it wasn't me, it was a sick brain
(just like if you sprained your knee)

praying for the spirit was only half the answer

i had to treat the brain like how you'd nurse a sprained knee
Very interesting way to look at it....thats exactly how I feel, like my brain is sick. Thank you for the analogy
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2022, 04:11 PM   #33
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
book recommendation - warning - long and repetitive but it helped me understand my brain like it's another body part, and umm ... yeah not sure but here it is

but it helped me see that my conscious mind wasn't the problem, it was the solution to nurse the subconscious brain back to health

The End of Mental Illness by Daniel Amen (a psychiatrist who disagress with all other psychiatrists)
Quote:

He is 100% spot on!

Quote:
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2022, 08:10 AM   #34
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

My Uncle, who is still alive and apparently trained with the first Mr. Universe told me to always have exercise as part of your life.

I'm around the age of the OP and physical exertion has kept me sane.

I also think age is an issue. Relatives start passing away, you become more aware of your own mortality. This is where people take up hobbies, volunteer work, etc. Just stay close to family.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2022, 11:22 AM   #35
Tommy-G
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 435 Vert Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by F32Fleet View Post
My Uncle, who is still alive and apparently trained with the first Mr. Universe told me to always have exercise as part of your life.

I'm around the age of the OP and physical exertion has kept me sane.

I also think age is an issue. Relatives start passing away, you become more aware of your own mortality. This is where people take up hobbies, volunteer work, etc. Just stay close to family.
That’s where I am fortunate but unfortunate at the same time. I have very little family. My parents are the only ones alive. My grandparents are gone and my uncles side has all disbanded and no one speaks. The only loss I have had is ex girlfriends family and now my wife’s family members.

On the flip side….I truly have no family and we don’t want kids so there’s no chance of lineage continuing
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2022, 01:08 PM   #36
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
That’s where I am fortunate but unfortunate at the same time. I have very little family. My parents are the only ones alive. My grandparents are gone and my uncles side has all disbanded and no one speaks. The only loss I have had is ex girlfriends family and now my wife’s family members.

On the flip side….I truly have no family and we don’t want kids so there’s no chance of lineage continuing
I understand. We don't have kids either.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2022, 01:26 PM   #37
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Foster - our church does a lot of fostering. I'm
sure it's a ton of work and super messy and worth it. I hope to foster one day….

Quote:
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2022, 01:35 PM   #38
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

I've generally always been a positive person. Like everyone, I've had better moments and worse moments but by and large I'm in a good place mentally.

One thing that helped me, believe it or not, was a horrible traffic accident! My wife and I were in a crash caused by a kid in a Honda Civic. The experts were amazed that we survived. That was almost 10 years ago. While I don't recommend having a near-death experience to make you appreciate what you do have, I can tell you it reset my view of my life and life in general.

I had a lot of brain testing since I got my bell rung so hard. The docs told me that time would be my friend and that eventually I would return to something close to normal. They told me that I should take the things that cause stress out of my life as much as I could. They suggested walking/hiking, turning off the news, leaving for appointments extra early, driving the speed limit, not getting upset when other people do stupid things, etc. etc. So, seeing professionals (brain docs, psychologist, and a psychiatrist helped me. The psychiatrist wanted to put me on a couple of really scary drugs so cancelled him and just focused on the advice I'd been given to reduce stress.

Since my hands were broken, I had to give up golf. To replace the exercise from golf, I started walking, hiking and backpacking. I have to say while I miss the social aspects of golf, I don't miss the game itself. I did not realize how stressful it is for me because I was always frustrated. Only when I stopped did I realize just how it affected me.

As my wife and I recovered, and continue to recover, it's given me time to think about things. We feel so lucky just to be on this planet and living in a comfortable home with a great family and group of friends and enough money to get by. Every time I think about being low, I remind myself just how good I've got it and go take a hike. So far that outlook on life has worked for me.

Good luck to you.
Appreciate 7
2000cs3507.00
Alfisti6526.50
Tommy-G4497.50
paquet629.50
Bingham276.00
      07-30-2022, 08:48 PM   #39
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Speaking of volunteering & mental health - I plan to get involved with this organization… I was telling my Mom about it the other day and she already volunteers for them.

A great mental health resource:

https://nami.org/Home

Quote:
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 2
Tommy-G4497.50
paquet629.50
      07-30-2022, 08:56 PM   #40
aj_g80
Captain
Rep
Drives: 720s

cut back on social media..

cut back on news/media

go outside more, get some friends together play some sports at the park

my favorite, get out and drive..
Appreciate 5
Tommy-G4497.50
paquet629.50
Bingham276.00
      07-30-2022, 09:30 PM   #41
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by aj_g80 View Post
cut back on social media..

cut back on news/media

go outside more, get some friends together play some sports at the park

my favorite, get out and drive..
Yep, gotta do stuff you like that puts your mind at ease. Lifting weights and exercise are good ones, because when you have to do something that is physically challenging your mind tends to focus on the task at hand instead of wandering. Today I cut a bunch of trees and moved them all day. I'm tired, but feel good.

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2022, 10:45 PM   #42
________
________
Rep
Drives: ________

If I wasn’t strong I wouldn’t be here anymore, to answer your question.
Appreciate 3
paquet629.50
Bingham276.00
      07-30-2022, 11:39 PM   #43
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

One thing I dig, right now I'm currently part of Pro Bono project at work with a non-profit foundation.

If you have a few bucks, this is a good one. We are working with them to help come up with a marketing program to help increase their donations.

https://www.breastcancercomfort.org/
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2022, 12:24 AM   #44
Tyga11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp

Quote:
I know we have touched on it but what are you all doing to stay sane these days?
Are you feeling like things are just different these days?

I love my job, my wife and I get along good but man I just feel like a pile of poop. I live in what I think is one of the most beautiful spots around and I just feel extra blah lately and I can’t seem to snap out of it. 48 years and I have never had my mental state rule my like it is now.
That's what mental health issues are - you have it all and you still feel like crap. It's nothing that can be explained, it is what is called being a human.

You should try the AA model - 'one day at a time' It works for non alcoholics also. Tell yourself you're going to have a good day today. You may not tomorrow but today you will.
Appreciate 2
Tommy-G4497.50
paquet629.50