F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > PCV catch can and/or CCV catch can, why both?
proTUNING Freaks

03-26-2024, 03:05 PM   #1
dinan5m3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e39 m5 e46 m3 g01 x3m40i

PCV catch can and/or CCV catch can, why both?

What in the world is happening here with B58 catch can (CC) setup ?

Definitions correct? (courtesy of Radium Engineering for B58 catch can)

PCV catch can - runs inline between crankcase ventilation valve (on the engine block) and the turbo inlet pipe

CCV catch can - runs inline between crankcase vent tube and turbo inlet pipe

WTF ?!

Is anyone running a PCV catch can, according to above definition?

My understanding has always been what above definition calls CCV catch can to be the PCV catch.

Picture below to identify where the above definition of dual catch cans are calling out each,

Appreciate 2
      03-26-2024, 06:59 PM   #2
Spyder
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i

I would reccommend watching some of Kern's videos on youtube (kern417). He does some pretty cool stuff like taking apart the valve cover to see of the pcv works. In a nut shell that I am aware of Tube 1 Is the high side PCV which will end up venting under high boost (blow by) while the Low side PCV (big black cap next the the oil fill cap on valve cover) which is the one that always seems to break, ends up venting under low boost/when the intake manifold is under vacuum. as for the third, little tube (tube 2 in your diagram) is tied into your evap system and also seems to be valved so my main guess is that it would be to help get rid of volatiles in the in the crank case. that said, I can't say for certain on Tube 2.
Appreciate 1
dinan5m34263.50
      03-26-2024, 09:57 PM   #3
dinan5m3
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyder View Post
I would reccommend watching some of Kern's videos on youtube (kern417). He does some pretty cool stuff like taking apart the valve cover to see of the pcv works. In a nut shell that I am aware of Tube 1 Is the high side PCV which will end up venting under high boost (blow by) while the Low side PCV (big black cap next the the oil fill cap on valve cover) which is the one that always seems to break, ends up venting under low boost/when the intake manifold is under vacuum. as for the third, little tube (tube 2 in your diagram) is tied into your evap system and also seems to be valved so my main guess is that it would be to help get rid of volatiles in the in the crank case. that said, I can't say for certain on Tube 2.
Right, i.e. i see many, many discussions about the "high" and "low" sides of PCV.

But have seen nothing about the putting a catch can inline to that vent tube #2.

I know i'm brining in a comparison with B58O1 (i.e. B58 TU), but i would think the catch can on principle in these direct injection engines hold the same.

What's interesting about Radium Engineering's statement is that the "blow-by" is from the tube #2 side of the crankcase.

So, if i put a catch can on tube #1, that does "nothing" according to Radidum Engineering to address the blow-by's.

What...........

ref: http://www.radiumauto.com/Catch-Can-...pra-P2171.aspx
Appreciate 1
ocdx30.00
      03-27-2024, 03:58 PM   #4
Bxrger
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw

Bump since I’m interested / confused also
      03-29-2024, 12:59 AM   #5
dinan5m3
Colonel
Rep

FWIW, going this route,

Appreciate 2
      03-29-2024, 07:23 AM   #6
B58 parts
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 340ix 6MT

I have ran the bms kit and the ross kit. The Ross kit is good but I think I'm going to go back to the bms kit .. just because .. simpler times. That kit with the intake and stage one tune was a really nice reliable daily driver. I'll just be keeping a spare PCV kit and a little pry tool in the trunk in case it blows. The Ross kit there was a little bit of a smell which didn't bother me too much, but I never got a single drop in the can. Which people say was normal / good, but always bothered me. I couldn't tell if it was actually working. The intake valves were super clean at 75k. I've seen quite a few 900 plus horsepower b58 just running the stock PCV. So I'm going to just do that and keep an extra one around.

That thing from Vargas turbo that taps into the fuel evap valve is a terrible idea. That's the complete wrong purpose of a catch can. That literally re circs the oil back down into your intake manifold.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2024, 10:23 AM   #7
enemigo13
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F32 LCI 440xi citrineblack

never seen 900hp gen1 b58 with stock PCV even without catch can. I doubt
it would achieve anything close to 900hp, because it surely will blow oil into intake at these boost levels and power would go down.. if b58 gen1 is built it would have more blowby so stock PCV is even less possible. b58tu is a bit different story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B58 parts View Post
I have ran the bms kit and the ross kit. The Ross kit is good but I think I'm going to go back to the bms kit .. just because .. simpler times. That kit with the intake and stage one tune was a really nice reliable daily driver. I'll just be keeping a spare PCV kit and a little pry tool in the trunk in case it blows. The Ross kit there was a little bit of a smell which didn't bother me too much, but I never got a single drop in the can. Which people say was normal / good, but always bothered me. I couldn't tell if it was actually working. The intake valves were super clean at 75k. I've seen quite a few 900 plus horsepower b58 just running the stock PCV. So I'm going to just do that and keep an extra one around.

That thing from Vargas turbo that taps into the fuel evap valve is a terrible idea. That's the complete wrong purpose of a catch can. That literally re circs the oil back down into your intake manifold.
Appreciate 0