F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > Porsche 993 on Autobahn 6
Studio RSR

04-06-2008, 03:13 PM   #1
ukthunderace
Autobahn Cruiser
Germany
Rep
Drives: '07 335i Tief Gruen

Porsche 993 on Autobahn 6

Just got through eating at Chili's in Kaiserslautern and was on my way back to Heidelberg when I noticed a 993 creeping up from behind. We were in a speed restricted zone (4 of us in the car), so I just kept him in my mirrors. Next thing I know, he is getting in front of me.
By the time we reached the unrestricted marker, we were side by side. I started to edge out a little and he got behind me. We were doing around 75 when the cars in front cleared. Game on.
Okay, why is it we have a limiter again???!!!
I nailed it and I was slowly walking him until I hit the limiter. Then, of course, he was by me and walking away.
I caught up with him before the curvy section and was able to hang with him fairly well through the curves at around 135-145, but one of my passengers was not digging the speed in the curves much and I didn't want Chili's Baby Backs spewed onto the interior of my car, so I slowed down. I was very impressed at the handling at that speed...very stable.
We rode for the next 30 miles one behind the other and finally it came time to get off the autobahn. I signaled off and he pulled up beside and gave the thumbs up which we all returned.
Then he took off...what a great sound that 993 has.

CLIFFS: 993 and E92 335i onA6
335i faster from 75 to limiter...993 pulls above that since it is not limited
335i hangs in the curves at 135-145...stable but not like the 993
Thumbs up all the way around...good ride home.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2008, 04:27 PM   #2
Remonster
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Get a chip and say goodbye to the limiter....simple, really.

I know people here in America with their limiters removed who have literally never even been to their limited top speed so at least for you it makes sense to want to get rid of it. I've hit my limiter (130 since I don't have the sport package) but honestly I'm glad I have it, I wouldn't trust myself to not get outrageous tickets (which at those speeds is actually jail time I believe).
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2008, 02:51 AM   #3
ukthunderace
Autobahn Cruiser
Germany
Rep
Drives: '07 335i Tief Gruen

I have thought about the Dinan, but there is no dealer over here that I know of. I am not considering the other chips due to warranty issues. Wish there was just a way to remove the limiter!
And I know what you mean about trusting yourself...when I move back to the US eventually, I know I am going to have to slow down...bummer. We were doing around 90-100 last night and my wife asked how fast we were going. She thought we were doing around 60.
Appreciate 0