F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Maintenance: Wash, Wax, Detailing, Repairs > Getting Rid Of Scratches?
Studio RSR

11-16-2016, 12:12 PM   #1
joemoney
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: N/A

Getting Rid Of Scratches?

So I took my 428i badge of but have some scratches, what can I use to get rid of them?

The scratches aren't deep, I tried using some compound and it's better but still there, any thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2016, 12:38 PM   #2
Busa1
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M4 and 435i xDrive M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemoney View Post
So I took my 428i badge of but have some scratches, what can I use to get rid of them?

The scratches aren't deep, I tried using some compound and it's better but still there, any thoughts?
First, are you sure you got all of the tape residue off the trunk from the badge being on there before you used compound on it? Basically what steps did you use to do this? What compound did you use? Any pictures you can take of the trunk? Usually you can use something like Meguiars Ultimate Compound and/or Meguiar's Ultimate Polish to get rid of the scratches if they're not too bad. Can you catch the scratch with your nail?
      11-16-2016, 01:27 PM   #3
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

First wet sand with 3M Trizact 3000 or 5000, then use compound and finally polish. When you wet sand spray the area with water that's had a bit of detergent added.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2016, 03:29 PM   #4
1987E30M3
Second Lieutenant
Italy
Rep
Drives: E30 M3 & 325ic-F30 335i Xdrive

If he removed his badges and scratched the car, what makes you thinks he can wet sand?

Sorry to be so blunt brother, but if it bothers you that much take it to a reputable body shop and see what they say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
First wet sand with 3M Trizact 3000 or 5000, then use compound and finally polish. When you wet sand spray the area with water that's had a bit of detergent added.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2016, 06:34 PM   #5
joemoney
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busa1 View Post
First, are you sure you got all of the tape residue off the trunk from the badge being on there before you used compound on it? Basically what steps did you use to do this? What compound did you use? Any pictures you can take of the trunk? Usually you can use something like Meguiars Ultimate Compound and/or Meguiar's Ultimate Polish to get rid of the scratches if they're not too bad. Can you catch the scratch with your nail?
I got all the residue off for sure.... I lifted the plastic, wet the glue and scratched/rubbed with my thumb to get the glue off until I used goo gone towards the end to get the last of it off. No, the scratches are not deep enough to catch it with my nail.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2016, 06:36 PM   #6
joemoney
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1987E30M3 View Post
If he removed his badges and scratched the car, what makes you thinks he can wet sand?

Sorry to be so blunt brother, but if it bothers you that much take it to a reputable body shop and see what they say.
Not a problem brother, I had taken the badges off my last car without issues although that was a white car this one's black. It's not anything crazy that I'd take it to a bodyshop for.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2016, 07:28 PM   #7
Busa1
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I got all the residue off for sure.... I lifted the plastic, wet the glue and scratched/rubbed with my thumb to get the glue off until I used goo gone towards the end to get the last of it off. No, the scratches are not deep enough to catch it with my nail.
What compound did you use and how did you apply it? With a DA or by hand?
      11-16-2016, 08:40 PM   #8
joemoney
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
What compound did you use and how did you apply it? With a DA or by hand?
The first compound was a rubbing compound, can't recall the brand. After that I used a turtle wax polishing compound, both were applied by hand.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2016, 09:57 AM   #9
Busa1
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
The first compound was a rubbing compound, can't recall the brand. After that I used a turtle wax polishing compound, both were applied by hand.
To really do any proper paint correction, you need a DA. Depending on your budget, you could pickup a Griots GG6 or a Harbor Freight DA (which is cheaper), some Meguiar's Ultimate compound, polish and some foam pads. Then watch some videos on Youtube from either Mike Phillips from Autogeek or Larry Kosilla from AMMO NYC on caring for your car.

11-17-2016, 12:36 PM   #10
joemoney
Enlisted Member
Rep

Crazy stuff man............ Thanks..
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2016, 09:52 PM   #11
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
To really do any proper paint correction, you need a DA.
I don't bother to use one for small areas. A badge sized spot I can do by hand from wet sand to compound, polish and seal in maybe ten minutes. Trizact 3000 and 5000 grit makes all the difference. After kissing it with the 5000 grit you barely need to compound at all.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2016, 10:09 PM   #12
Busa1
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
To really do any proper paint correction, you need a DA.
I don't bother to use one for small areas. A badge sized spot I can do by hand from wet sand to compound, polish and seal in maybe ten minutes. Trizact 3000 and 5000 grit makes all the difference. After kissing it with the 5000 grit you barely need to compound at all.
On small minor scratches/marks I just use a microfiber cloth and some polish or compound.
Anything worse I get it with the DA.
      11-17-2016, 10:16 PM   #13
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
On small minor scratches/marks I just use a microfiber cloth and some polish or compound.
Anything worse I get it with the DA.
I used to do that when 2000 paper was the finest sheet abrasive you could get. I first came across trizack two years ago and it's a game changer. Where I used to use a heavy cut compound and a lot of elbow grease I now use trizack and medium cut compound, it's much faster.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2016, 12:23 PM   #14
joemoney
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
When you say seal, what do you mean?

Obviously this is a first for me so I don't wanna fuck my car up, the wet sand shit scares me lol
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2016, 02:43 PM   #15
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
When you say seal, what do you mean?
I use this:
https://www.amazon.com/Jescar-Power-...rna+power+lock

It can be hand applied, especially over small areas, but for doing the entire car a power buffer is much easier. Put a bead on a foam buffer pad, apply it to the car, replenish the foam pad with PL as required. You want just enough to create a haze, with no globs. I leave it for a few hours before rubbing off the haze with a microfiber pad.

Quote:
Obviously this is a first for me so I don't wanna fuck my car up, the wet sand shit scares me lol
You can easily go right through the clear coat with even 2000 grit paper, but it's really hard to do so with 3000 and 5000 grit Trizact, especially if you're doing it by hand. You sand it just enough to dull the finish in the repair area, then rub it out.
Appreciate 0